Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

3D printer battery plug

I fired up the cad program today and made a quick 3D battery connector using dean connectors.
If I get ambitious enough I would like to make a tray that holds three batteries.

I don't have any spring loaded bullet connectors yet for the balance pins.
Does anyone have a source for the correct size pins?

Once I get this 3D connector sized correctly I will make the STL file available for download
for others who want to print there own.

View attachment 2035
Here is a company that may have the pins.
http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...t=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Last edited:
Just received my locally printed adapters and I pressed the deans connectors into them. I needed my table vice to press them in as it is a tight fit. All fit into the battery nicely. Now awaiting the pins and balance leads to finish.
Goto here if your looking for a guy who 3d prints in your area.

Redirecting to store...

Looks like they did a good job 3D printing the plug.

I have made a plug that plugs inside the H with a harness on it so I can
use 3rd party batteries.

Then I designed a door that goes on the battery opening on the H so the
battery cannot fall out.

I still want to make some minor mod's to it.

I will post STL file when done.

Looks like they did a good job 3D printing the plug.

I have made a plug that plugs inside the H with a harness on it so I can
use 3rd party batteries.

Then I designed a door that goes on the battery opening on the H so the
battery cannot fall out.

I still want to make some minor mod's to it.

I will post STL file when done.
Awesome, great idea about using a door instead of a tray system. Is the battery loose inside or sliding around at all? Also, what batteries are you using?

What is the correct type of filament that should be used to print this and other electric plugs?

Awesome, great idea about using a door instead of a tray system. Is the battery loose inside or sliding around at all? Also, what batteries are you using?

I did not purchase any 3rd party batteries yet but used one I already
had from some RC cars I had laying around.

My first test I had the battery wrapped in a shop towel to keep it
from vibrating around and a piece of duct tape on the opening. lol :rolleyes:

It worked surprisingly well so I made a door, well not really a door,
more like a cover that slides in and latches, its about 1 inch long.

This could be made to different lengths to accommodate different size batteries.

When its all said and done I wonder if its worth the trouble just to
gain a couple of more minutes flying time and save a couple of dollars.

But it was a fun project to play with and it might lead to other things.

Reactions: Bobjazz
What is the correct type of filament that should be used to print this and other electric plugs?

I print mainly using ABS filament but no reason you could not use whatever you wanted like PLA.

The trick I like to use is grab the part like the battery plug while still warm and somewhat soft out of the printer and push
the deans connector in, makes it easy and really holds tight. :)

Guys great to see developments that enable better charging solutions in case you need the 3d print and all the components. I can also 3d print anything your guys may need, things like less than 1 square inch can be for free if you pay shipping which is like 2-3 bucks. Just thought that may help out.

3D printed DIY Yuneec Typhoon H Factory Battery charger adapter YUNTYH105 3D printed case DIY Yuneec Typhoon H Factory Battery charger adapter YUNTYH105

Last edited:
Guys great to see developments that enable better charging solutions in case you need the 3d print and all the components. I can also 3d print anything your guys may need, things like less than 1 square inch can be for free if you pay shipping which is like 2-3 bucks. Just thought that may help out.

3D printed DIY Yuneec Typhoon H Factory Battery charger adapter YUNTYH105 3D printed case DIY Yuneec Typhoon H Factory Battery charger adapter YUNTYH105

Looks like a nice battery plug! Do you design your own and print them?

Looks like a nice battery plug! Do you design your own and print them?

Thanks, Yeah i teach design and rapid prototyping courses at Miami Dade College so I figured this would be a good case study to use in the course!

I think you guys have inspired me to the point I am shopping for a 3d printer. This world of CAD and 3d printing is completely new to me. I did a little web research and I found a big following for the following printer. It looks like a good place to start for a Newb as myself. What do you guys think? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GZBC3Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looks like a great entry level 3D printer to get started with.
It uses open source Repetier firmware so that is good.

O use the prusa i3 kit from Folger tech. 300 bucks and 300 hrs of assembly and calibration. Steep learning curve but nice prints good resolution. Get at least 100 micron resolution and a heated bed.

There is a webpage that seems pretty good for this printer: The 3D Printer Brain DupI3/Duplicator I 3 They list many mods and tips to maximize the printer. It seems to be related to the prusa i3 but is a direct clone of the Wanhao i3. It comes pre assembled and is advertised to be able to print 10 minutes after removing from the box.

Reactions: Ralphy
there is also reprap forums for guidance. Those guys are good with open source software.

I think you guys have inspired me to the point I am shopping for a 3d printer. This world of CAD and 3d printing is completely new to me. I did a little web research and I found a big following for the following printer. It looks like a good place to start for a Newb as myself. What do you guys think? Monoprice Maker Select 3D Printer with Heated Build Plate, Includes 2 GB Micro SD Card and Sample PLA Filament - 113860: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I love my Dremel 3D. So much I just bought the second generation.

Dremel 3D Printer

I print mainly using ABS filament but no reason you could not use whatever you wanted like PLA.

The trick I like to use is grab the part like the battery plug while still warm and somewhat soft out of the printer and push
the deans connector in, makes it easy and really holds tight. :)

Unless you're printing PLA. LOL

Reactions: Ralphy
Unless you're printing PLA. LOL

The issue with ABS is that when you print too thin it cracks easy and it shrinks alot unless you have a full enclosure on your 3d printer.

The dremel 3d printer is a great little machine. But check the tray dimensions...for example if you want to make trays like the one i designed for the H you need at least 8" bed in one direction. Little things like charger adpaters can be made on almost anything.

Practice printing simple geometry sijilar to designs you like and make sure all the axies are properly calibrated..

It sucks when a 6 hour print doesnt ckme out to the size you expected. Its a fun journey!

Reactions: WilsonFlyer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcecleaning