Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

3rd flight - Loss of power - It Crashed hard! What happened?

I know. I have an Advanced and a Professional. Will be filming a boating event tomorrow. Knock on wood they don't tumble out of the sky.

It was that one update that dealt with battery temps that sent them off. i sold my pro after i got all my updates acomplished and it was working good. Thank god its gone. I even had the RC brick on me with that pro. Took another usb board to get it working again. Of course DJI support was great.....NOT;)

I do. The battery came out fine from The crash (pretty much the only thing that did). I stuck it in the charger and it appears to be charging. I thought it may have been 100% dead and useless.
Did you happen to check the voltage before you started charging it again? I'm wondering if the battery was faulty and discharged quickly or if an incorrect reading by the unit of the power, bad connection, etc.

I am an experienced drone pilot, I flew 2 PV2+'s and never had a crash. I've been reading this forum and the P4 discussion forum going on a month now trying to make up my mind. It appears, although I have no math to back it up but a majority of H owners are having problems from fan blades falling off to fly aways that end up in crashes. There is s thread on P4 crashes and 99% of them admit pilot error. I've read of no fly aways over the last month that I know of. I'm not a troll, I really had my heart set on the H.

Reactions: m0j0 and Jay
One thing to keep in perspective. Interference is the worst enemy to this hobby/recreation.. Being a Ham radio operator for many years I can tell you there is alot of trash on the airwaves from WIFI over the power lines to baby monitors.

I'm curious if some of the issues would happen in the wide open spaces? Just food for thought.

Did you happen to check the voltage before you started charging it again? I'm wondering if the battery was faulty and discharged quickly or if an incorrect reading by the unit of the power, bad connection, etc.
No I didn't bother to check. The previous flight I had landed when I received the low voltage warning. When I put the battery on the charger to charge (after the second flight) I recall it being really really warm. It was pretty hot out. When I flew the 3rd flight I had all four bars on the battery icon displayed on the upper left of the controller. Also on the 3rd flight it took 4 tries to get the controller and the drone to communicate (i.e., no video signal).

Although I'm sure both companies have their fair share of occurrences that require customer support, I would put more faith in the outfit that I know will give me the customer service that I'd expect.

So far it seems Yuneec is handling the initial reports of issues very responsibly. All I here about DJI when it comes to support is they are a PITA to deal with.

Just something else to consider if your trying to choose between the two.

Reactions: Cristian
One thing to keep in perspective. Interference is the worst enemy to this hobby/recreation.. Being a Ham radio operator for many years I can tell you there is alot of trash on the airwaves from WIFI over the power lines to baby monitors.

I'm curious if some of the issues would happen in the wide open spaces? Just food for thought.
Interference could have certainly played a part. But I would expect the drone to just sit still and do a RTH and not drift away.

I am an experienced drone pilot, I flew 2 PV2+'s and never had a crash. I've been reading this forum and the P4 discussion forum going on a month now trying to make up my mind. It appears, although I have no math to back it up but a majority of H owners are having problems from fan blades falling off to fly aways that end up in crashes. There is s thread on P4 crashes and 99% of them admit pilot error. I've read of no fly aways over the last month that I know of. I'm not a troll, I really had my heart set on the H.
There may be a few bugs/quality control issues at first but just like DJI, Yuneec will work them out.

The Typhoon H is a really nice drone to fly and it has plenty of great features with more to come.

Reactions: Haydn
I thought it was a bad idea to charge a battery immediately after it has been used. Supposed to let it cool down I thought?

With our weather here... I actually put it in front of a fan and let it cool before i charge it.. Used to do the same thing with my phantoms...habbit i guess.. Motors were warm thats for sure after i flew. Time of the year that its hard to fly in.. Too hot in the day must fly before dusk or the "No-see-um's" will get ya.. ( i wonder how many people will figure that last part out)?

Like n3srj said:
I too am a HAM radio person, and don't 100% like where they placed the 2.4 Ghz antenna.
Too close to the electronics for my taste. Placing them along the landing gear would have been a better location.
Sorry for your loss, I am chalking this one up to possible interference and NOT a design flaw.

Last edited:
Is the 2.4ghz antenna the two wires sticking out that people have reported? If so..would there be a way to extend the antennas?

I thought it was a bad idea to charge a battery immediately after it has been used. Supposed to let it cool down I thought?

You should allow a battery to cool after use before charging. Trying to charge a hot battery breaks down the cell structure, damaging the battery. If you're in that much of a hurry, buy a couple more batteries so one can cool while one is charging and the other is in use.

No I didn't bother to check. The previous flight I had landed when I received the low voltage warning. When I put the battery on the charger to charge (after the second flight) I recall it being really really warm. It was pretty hot out. When I flew the 3rd flight I had all four bars on the battery icon displayed on the upper left of the controller. Also on the 3rd flight it took 4 tries to get the controller and the drone to communicate (i.e., no video signal).

If you received a fully charged battery when you opened the box, that is not right and is a definite red flag unless the battery is something special I have not heard about, which could be.
With all that you mentioned, I suspect the battery has too low C rating.
Does the ST16 show you in-flight voltage and capacity used??
If so, what were those numbers near the time of the low power warning?
Definitely worth load testing these batteries and checking internal resistance.

Its horror stories like these that make me very nervous about flying. Sorry for your loss but I'm sure yuneec will replace it for you

Well this was interesting.

So here I am, a seasoned drone pilot with hundreds of hours of flying time, my own YouTube drone channel and a regular on the drone forums.

I Received my Typhoon H yesterday afternoon. I had posted on the forum that I was surprised that the battery that came with my Typhoon was fully charged. I thought the charger was mistaken but It actually was because I was able to fly for almost 20 minutes yesterday without a problem.

The only issue I had with the Typhoon H (as seen in photos I posted yesterday) was with the camera. It was placing white and blue dots across the video. I tried a camera reset and thought it was fixed. I flew today for a full 20 minutes and everything was perfect - I really love this drone! Only negative again was that my video ended up with white and blue spots.

Called Yuneec Support and they asked me to send them pictures of the problem <done>. They also mentioned to ensure I had a fast micro SD which I had, but thought I'd try other ones.

So with a fully charged battery I went for my 3rd flight. Flew the Typhoon H directly overhead and had the gimbal do a 360 at different resolutions to see if that was the problem with the camera quality.

In less than 10 mins of flight time my controller gives the low power warning. I lower the landing gear to bring it down nice and slow and suddenly it's drifting away from me.... I no longer have control of the craft. The only input working is DOWN. It seems to have insufficient power to move in any direction. It keeps drifting away so I hit RTH and it seems to work, however it does not bring the craft back to me but instead just brings it down while drifting. It's now drifting towards a house with people outside. I switch back to Angle mode to take control (nothing other than making it spin slowly in place). I switch it fully up to Smart mode (again nothing other than making it spin slowly in place). There is no wind but it continues to drift over the house and the only landing area now is a road. As I'm trying to get it to go down onto the road it suddenly does come down... like a rock! It hits the pavement on an angle and smashes into a few pieces (gimbal, camera, landing gear, arms, props).

I called back Yuneec to advise that there was another problem (the camera is now lying 10 feet away from the drone). The customer service rep at Yuneec was very helpful. I asked if others had had this problem and so far it appears I'm the only one. So this means to everyone out there... DON'T PANIC. I may be the guy who received the lemon (camera, battery, loss of control).

I've been asked to kindly put it back in it's box and ship it back to them for review.

So I had two days with the Typhoon H and other than a bad camera and loss of power it was a good two days. I have a few more drones at home, so I won't be lonely while the Typhoon H is getting analyzed and operated on. But I will miss it!
Did you not say you also had trouble getting it to calibrate? If it would not calibrate, maybe the GPS was F'd up and lost orientation and control? Just my 2 cents . Sorry about the mishap! Hope she comes home soon Capt.

**** Cap, very sorry to hear about the crash. Mine will be here Wednesday and I was going to fly over the river by my house, now I am thinking to put 5 or so batteries through it before flying anywhere near the river. (Still waiting on my spare batteries too)

No Compass Calibration completed? You did mention you could not successfully do one? Correct? Sorry if I repeated can't remember with all my readings and iffy's get the H set up.:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430