Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

400 feet? Hows that work then?

Reaction score
Thank goodness most of that festive Humbug is over. According to the news we now have millions of new inexperienced Drone pilots ready to wreak havoc in the airspace... lets hope common sense prevails.

ANYWAY on to the point. I dont understand the 400' rule.
if I'm on a hilltop over 400' ASL can I take off my drone would immediately be over 400' high? can I fly 400'above my head at the top of the hill?
what if I'm 200' up a 400' hill can only go to 400' above my launch point? 200' above the hill?
what if I fly over a cliff 420 feet high? does my Yuneek Typhoon H drop 20' down the cliff never to come up again?

Anyone clarify please.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

As far as I understood there is difference between sea level and groundlevel, you may fly 400 feet from ground level, means its calculates between you controller and your drone.
Your controller could be at 100 feet asl, then you fly 500feet asl. You will find that also in the telemetry data, the 500 value and the 100 value

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Flymofo
The idea is that it's not more than 400' above you, i.e. above ground level, so you're flying below commercial air space and within a range where you can maintain control.

As far as I understood there is difference between sea level and groundlevel, you may fly 400 feet from ground level, means its calculates between you controller and your drone.
Your controller could be at 100 feet asl, then you fly 500feet asl. You will find that also in the telemetry data, the 500 value and the 100 value

That is not correct. The zero level for the copter is there where is was powered on. The ST16 only calculates the distance between copter and ST16.
Your controller could be at 4000ft, your drone only flys from starting point + 400ft

Reactions: Chrislab and Rayray
That is not correct. The zero level for the copter is there where is was powered on. The ST16 only calculates the distance between copter and ST16.
Your controller could be at 4000ft, your drone only flys from starting point + 400ft

Could be my English language, but it fact that's what I said. One difference, i was thinking it compares every second from controller plus 400 feet. As remotegps captures that data every second.

Could be my English language, but it fact that's what I said. One difference, i was thinking it compares every second from controller plus 400 feet. As remotegps captures that data every second.

No, at the time you start your copter, the copter reset his own altitude to "0". You can move with your ST16 up and down, still altitude "0" for your copter.
The altitude level the ST16 shows on your display comes from the sensor in your copter.

No, at the time you start your copter, the copter reset his own altitude to "0". You can move with your ST16 up and down, still altitude "0" for your copter.
The altitude level the ST16 shows on your display comes from the sensor in your copter.

Ok, then my assumption, was not the right one, however can you explain why then my telemetry altitude has figures above 400 feet ? In our country above 120 meter. If its calculates from 0 then it should not be more then max height?

Ok, then my assumption, was not the right one, however can you explain why then my telemetry altitude has figures above 400 feet ? In our country above 120 meter. If its calculates from 0 then it should not be more then max height?

... cause the copter is able to fly higher than 400 ft. You can set up a height limit up to 1000m. Only with the last firmware-update, the copter is limited to 400 ft.

... cause the copter is able to fly higher than 400 ft. You can set up a height limit up to 1000m. Only with the last firmware-update, the copter is limited to 400 ft.

I flew only with the latest update.

its all quite confusing and typically ill thought out.. can the ST16 cope with negative altutude eg flying off and down a cliff? off the top of a hill? down a big pothole?

its all quite confusing and typically ill thought out.. can the ST16 cope with negative altutude eg flying off and down a cliff? off the top of a hill? down a big pothole?

Yes its done all the time. It will show a negative number but its all fine

The altitude readings are accurate to a point. It's not perfect and you will see deviations even in flight. It's about maintaining VLOS more than anything else and if you can see it, you can pilot through many elevations up or down. There is a height restriction in latest AP firmware that geo fences to 400'. It's caused a lot of hub bub here. When I tried to check the limits post firmware update, the H ignored my settings and stopped at 397.3' above me. I could not deal with being robbed of 2.7 feet and rolled back to AP 1.29.

This is not recommended for new H users. Learn what it does now and perfect all the other skills you need to handle this thing as its not something you can ever do casually- that's what those little flipping toys are for - no care and fun and whatever if it breaks - not so here.

People carry on about flight time but I'm here to tell you that anything over ten minutes is a lot too concentrate on and you can never relax once airborne. Stick panic is the lead cause of most crashes when orientation gets confused to the pilot. The H being a hex a camera you can point anywhere also can change your orientation relative to POV. RTH is not a guarantee of return if you flight past radio range.

I practice cruising out in straight lines, setting my subject and then do a pull back. I can drop down or up on that horizontal line by watching the drone relative to the ground. I don't care about the monitor. I glance at it occasionally to make sure camera angle and color are what I'm going for. I practice descending turns and pans, rotoscoping by eye and not with the pre-sets, and learning how camera angles do or don't work depending on subject, light, and background.

I may need a high shot for someone (but quite honestly I find it boring as I've seen google earth and I've looked down from a plane) so I prefer not to be height restricted but here's the thing...400' is pretty high and you could easily loose VLOS even at that altitude if you glance away for even a second.

Remember the lessons you learned from losing model rockets, balloons, or kites as a kid and that's how you will feel when you loose your drone by pushing past your own skills and comfort level.

And I can't even imagine jumping in cold with the real sense...way too much technology and that video of the H zipping around cactus and behaving like a terminator with its optics for collision avoidance is way misleading.

Best collision avoidance is you piloting with no GPS as you have 100%
of the sticks and nothing else is going to change the H and it won't fly away if you know how to keep VLOS relative to H orientation. There is no gyro off mode so if you let go of sticks it will just hold hover and only move with wind. Steadiest shots are zero wind and no GPS. After that is some wind a GPS to help hold in place. Good shots with possible jello or motion blur is stronger winds with GPS.

No two flying conditions are ever the same even in places you've flown multiple times. The technology built into the H is there to help you decide what to do so it takes many many hours of flight to get competent at all the features. I still have not touched the wizard and may never as I'd prefer a second real controller over a TV remote.

For what it's worth, I crashed a breeze the first time I tried it's Orbit feature as I was too close to a building and did not get how far it was going to go out from me to start circling. And it's sold as anyone can do this...it has IPS and that's taking some getting used to because that has its own issue as well (indoors on a mono chromatic warehouse floor is no good and it needs a lot of light to get the infra red to work) and despite the cool video, it's not that simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What difference does 2.7 feet make? Visually you can't notice it. You're forgoing extra features.

Mate I'm not sure what others are talking about but any drone purchased in Aus will not fly over 400 feet, I have seen posts of guys in Canada are saying their flying at 7000 or mor feet so I think unless u reprogram the drone it would be from take of point.

Chukky, see example of my access database, in our country hight is restricted to 120meter.
In this example you see i stood at 9 meter above sealevel, i flew 128 meter above sealevel, but the actual groundlevel was less then 120meter.
As said by Wedbster, that the copter at start sets his zerolevel, i dont think so as the data shows me something else. In that case the altitude field should show Expr1 field.
I have the latest firmware version on the typhoon H.

Regards
Ruud

altitude.PNG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22