Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

5 mile rule for hobbyist

Reaction score
The 5 miles from an airport rule for hobbyist, is that from the tower....or what?

Bill W.

The 5 miles from an airport rule for hobbyist, is that from the tower....or what?

Bill W.

Have you downloaded the app UAV forecast? It tells you how many satellites are available. Pinpoints your location and shows if/where you are in relation to nearby airports. It's a must have app for drone users!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill W.
Using airports in my area for reference, it appears the 5 mile radius is from the geographic center of the airport perimeter, not the edge of the airport property but the center of it.

The app will show you, based on your location if you are inside the Limited/Restricted/No fly zone of all airports, Seaports and Helipads. It also tells you if it's a Small Medium or Large airport, which I'm assuming correlates to Class B,C,D designations.

Using airports in my area for reference, it appears the 5 mile radius is from the geographic center of the airport perimeter, not the edge of the airport property but the center of it.
Well....i was wondering if anyone knew the exact point that the FAA considers the 5mile comes from.

And i do have apps to show where i am. I was just wondering where the FAA considers the 5 miles comes from.

Bill W.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss