Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Aerial Parallax - Yuneec Typhoon H - 8.25mm Lens

Oh you're the guy that said he had to go to home depot to get a screw driver...nice to meet you. I thought you had many steps in your video which you did not have to do, thus I posted my short video to show people how easy it was. Did you shoot the balloon video?
i did not shoot the ballon video, also love your video but how Yuneec switched the lens mount you have to take apart the whole sensor to remove the old mount.

I like the result. But for$200 and another $150 for them to do the swap (if I read right)
The luck of Bob says that I would break the sensor.

i did not shoot the ballon video, also love your video but how Yuneec switched the lens mount you have to take apart the whole sensor to remove the old mount.
You raise a great point the variability of what you might find upon opening up your camera. I saw they were using different mounts now but is that universal? Some of the lenses were slathered with glue to hold the lens and some had no glue at all...I spent too many hours screwing around with experimentation and not enough flying so I think I'll leave the lens changing to Peau if they now universally have that different mount. I would enjoy seeing a video of you swapping out mounts. Thanks for leading the charge!!!:D:D:D I told Bo I was going to have Robert De Niro for my next video on drones but I don't think he believed me.

This is a very interesting development and the above posts have helped me decide not to try it myself. It is interesting to see that they sell a complete CGO3+ with the lens installed, however at $800 this is quite a price! However having two (or even 3) cameras with different lenses could be useful and easy to switch between. I wonder, is the CGO3+ available and how much is it? If the total cost from Peau is no more than cost of camera + lens + the fitting charge then I may be tempted. I would wait for Yuneec to do something on the camera front but feel I may be waiting for a long tome?

I just want less FOV.
42 degrees maybe too small, but the 98-110 degrees, (what ever Yuneec used) is too large. I would like to see something in the 75-85 degree range.
Too bad they can't make a ground adjustable zoom lens.

For me the 5.4mm lens was perfect field of view of 64 degrees...but that lens design is long in the tooth so presently for good resolution for 4K etc. I guess the 8.2 is all we have, I agree 42 degrees may be too tight for some things...but once I've got it in my hands I'll find out for sure...it will be great for flying low and close without having to fly too low or too close. I think mappers will like it because there will be no distortion but more photos will have to be taken. It's basically a 35mm lens in 35mm camera parlance. It will also magnify vibration so smooth flying will be critical much more critical.

For me the 5.4mm lens was perfect field of view of 64 degrees...but that lens design is long in the tooth so presently for good resolution for 4K etc. I guess the 8.2 is all we have, I agree 42 degrees may be too tight for some things...but once I've got it in my hands I'll find out for sure...it will be great for flying low and close without having to fly too low or too close. I think mappers will like it because there will be no distortion but more photos will have to be taken. It's basically a 35mm lens in 35mm camera parlance. It will also magnify vibration so smooth flying will be critical much more critical.

Mickeyboo you mention vibration and I did not see any. Coastal shooting usually has a bit of on or offshore wind and the shots were consistantly rock solid. Will be interested to see your results.

Mickeyboo you mention vibration and I did not see any. Coastal shooting usually has a bit of on or offshore wind and the shots were consistantly rock solid. Will be interested to see your results.
I can't wait to return to Iceland in Nov. for 2 months to refly the H and H Pro there...I quite honestly knew very little about the H when I was first there since it was released about 10 days before I left...I will post results...of flying around here before I leave. My camera has been at Peau for 2 or 3 weeks waiting for the mod, they had to get ready for InterDrone etc. so hopefully once they return from Vegas and take out loans on their gambling debts they can install and ship it to me.

I've always been schooled when using any type of camera isolation mount (gimbal, steadicam, etc) that the wider the lens the less chance of vibration and noticeable movement by the user. Will increasing the focal length bring out more shortcoming or isolation with flying the drone around?

Also…. We don't know how much post and grading was done to the images in the video to show us what the "average" user would get. I use to be always blow away by all the footage GoPro used in their advertisements only to decide there was much in post to make things look so "perfect".

I'm sure this lens works well and is a nice addition to the arsenal. As someone who owns 2 CGO3+ cameras… I'm tempted to upgrade one. While I have refocused the stock lens… All this talk of how difficult to replace the mount has me a little "scared" to tackle it myself. It's probably over $400 when all is said and done with shipping. Interesting...

Well I bit the bullet and ordered one of these with new CGO3+, free shipping to UK helped in the decision process. Also I am suppsed to recieve it by this Sunday (we shall see) so I am excited to try this out now.
Then I may get the 3.97 and fit myself to my original camera.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered one of these with new CGO3+, free shipping to UK helped in the decision process. Also I am suppsed to recieve it by this Sunday (we shall see) so I am excited to try this out now.

I will be watching with interest. Richard Gilmore has a contact - Carlos, TyphoonHEU on facebook for the russian Pix Aero lens that includes a fool proof replacement mount at a very good price.

I will be watching with interest too !

Reactions: OnTheRopes
I am sure the FAA would have a field day if that were to happen.
Never mind the FAA!
What's about the passengers?
Out of curiosity, my question remains as it is part of good piloting to predict the worst case scenario when flying a drone either
commercial or pleasure.
Even if no incident occurred, this flight over an hot air balloon appears to me as reckless, if not criminal.
In my opinion this video is very incriminating for a number of legal reasons.
Let me tell you that if I were a passenger of one of the balloon while this video was shot I would be seeking answers...
"I flew over to test a new lens for my drone" would not fly for me!

Reactions: KBflyer
BobW55 my bad, in our conversation I had with Nolan and I thought he told me it was like swapping out other lenses...I now see on their web site it is not...I wondered how it could be done with a back focus of over 8 while the stock Yuneec is just over 4....changing the lens mount which is required for this lens is very difficult...both Peau
and I ruined cameras trying to do it with the 5.4mm lens which has the same issue (long back focal length requiring a different lens mount). Looks like it will be something they have to do unless you're incredibly skilled...

I'm another that ruined a camera by removing the lens mount from the camera board. Unless you are very, very good and manage to avoid moving or twisting the ribbon flex, don't take the job on yourself! One mistake will cost you $600.00 for a new camera, or leave you on the ground during the period repairs are being made at Yuneec, at your expense.

Something that would have saved a few a lot of financial pain would have been for Alsey7 and Bo to provide considerably more detail about how fragile the ribbon flex is at the back of the H camera. Had I been aware of that I would have used Mickeyboo's video instructions instead of the more invasive method used in Bo's video. I'm not blaming them for my errors but their video did make the process appear safer and easier than it is, without explaining the dangers involved.

Last edited:
Heck if anyone one wants me to remove the stock mount and install the new mount with lens i will do it for $50.00

I will be watching with interest. Richard Gilmore has a contact - Carlos, TyphoonHEU on facebook for the russian Pix Aero lens that includes a fool proof replacement mount at a very good price.
Does the 3.97mm aeropix lens give you a closer shot than the standard Yuneec Typhoon H lens or is it wider?

I have both lenses, the Peau 3.97mm 82deg FOV and the standard CGO3+ stock lens. I've used both and the smaller FOV Peau does not seem all that much better in terms of resolution. The resolution is higher since the magnification is a bit more but its really hard to tell unless you blow up the images. The Peau is actually soft on the edges and has a slight hump in the middle when looking at a straight horizon. My original CGO 3+ lens was out of focus a tad and had some weird artifacts in the corners but when I adjusted it that took care of the corner issues and now is very sharp. However, the Peau does work well and if you are looking for a slightly narrower FOV it does provide that. I haven't noticed any vibration problems when flying with the Peau either. I suppose it all comes down to your desires.
My CGO3+ had the glue on the lens, holding it in place, once that was removed its was easy to take out and replace. Its also easy to change back which I recently did for some wider FOV shots. I posted a video today taken in OK with the Peau lens. Its in the Photo's/Video's section.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430