Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Altitude max problem

I believe what Timothy experienced at 9,600 ft was the vortex ring state. That can happen with any quadcopter, especially when flying where the air is thinner. I normally fly near sea level and had never experienced VRS until I flew in Mammoth Lakes, CA from a starting altitude of 7,800 feet.
I was descending slowing from 380 feet above ground level at a slow pace but I didn't have a lot of lateral movement. At about 300ft agl, the quad started to fall rapidly, It scared the heck of of me but I knew what it was from watching this forum and Youtube videos. I applied full right roll (aileron) and the uncontrolled descent stopped at about 250ft agl. The quad then rose up rapidly back to 300ft agl Now I brought it down with a zig zag motion to the right & left to avoid VRS.
It flew fine below 8000 ft but when I down loaded the firmware, that is when the trouble started and I have always Zig zag on my decent I have a DJI 3 I didn't have to add firmware to fly above 8000 ft an it flies find no problem. My self I think it is the firmware.

I live at near sea level, but I travel to Lake Tahoe several times a year...if I update the firmware will it effect my operations here near sea level?

Correct we do have an updated firmware that allows machine to be operated above 8,000'. If firmware is needed please call Yuneec Tech Support staff at 844-898-6332. We do recommend aeronauts when flying at higher altitudes. Yuneec is in the process of testing new props (more pitch) for high altitude users. Prop guards are definitely on the way.
I just updated to the newest firmware. Version 1.07 I believe. I read that that update was supposed to delete the elevation restriction of 8000ft. I went outside, and it still will not let me fly.

Can someone please email me the firmware update that will allow me to fly it. I live above 8000 ft.

Post #2

Correct we do have an updated firmware that allows machine to be operated above 8,000'. If firmware is needed please call Yuneec Tech Support staff at 844-898-6332. We do recommend aeronauts when flying at higher altitudes. Yuneec is in the process of testing new props (more pitch) for high altitude users. Prop guards are definitely on the way.

Tim Terrones
Online Social Services
|Yuneec USA, Inc.
5555 Ontario Mills Parkway
Ontario, CA 91764
Tech Support: 1-844-898-6332 / [email protected]
[email protected]

Escribo desde Colombia, tengo el mismo problema, mi ciudad está a 2700 metros sobre nivel del mar y mi Q500 4K no enciende motores, aparece alerta zona no vuelo, por favor ayuda.

Escribo desde Colombia, tengo el mismo problema, mi ciudad está a 2700 metros sobre nivel del mar y mi Q500 4K no enciende motores, aparece alerta zona no vuelo, por favor ayuda.

Edward, courtesy of GoogleTranslate :) ----------> Correcta tenemos una actualización de firmware que permite que la máquina sea operado por encima de 8.000 '. Si se necesita el firmware por favor llame al personal de soporte técnico Yuneec al 844-898-6332. Recomendamos aeronautas al volar a mayor altitud. Yuneec está en el proceso de probar nuevos apoyos (más de tono) para los usuarios de gran altitud. Prop guardias están definitivamente en el camino

I'm the one who tested the new firmware last October of 2015. I live in Denver and took my Typhoon up to Echo Lake. (10,000ft.) I used the Aeronaut carbon fiber propellers and I was very satisfied with the 3 day's of testing.
Just one word of caution...make sure you are in lateral flight on your desent. Coming straight down in the thinner atmosphere will stall your airflow over the blades. Also limit your flights to 10-12 minutes on a full charge.
Jeff, I live in colo spgs and this was my 2nd day out with the q5004k. I was flying at about 7300 feet above sea level and was about 300 feet out. Instead of using the angle mode to bring it back, I put the st10+ into home mode. The drone came back quickly like I expected it to. However, I was in an area where there is no clear and level landing place. I switched it back to Angle Mode at about 15' up, thinking it would hover there. Instead, it just kept on coming down to the ground striking a bush and breaking a blade. Do you think the airflow was stalled over the blades or did something else occur?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Jeff, I live in colo spgs and this was my 2nd day out with the q5004k. I was flying at about 7300 feet above sea level and was about 300 feet out. Instead of using the angle mode to bring it back, I put the st10+ into home mode. The drone came back quickly like I expected it to. However, I was in an area where there is no clear and level landing place. I switched it back to Angle Mode at about 15' up, thinking it would hover there. Instead, it just kept on coming down to the ground striking a bush and breaking a blade. Do you think the airflow was stalled over the blades or did something else occur?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Hey smoke...maybe it's possible you were caught up in the bird's prop wash...personally, I would have switched to Angle at about 40-50'...15' isn't much of a buffer...glad to hear the damage was minimal

Hey smoke...maybe it's possible you were caught up in the bird's prop wash...personally, I would have switched to Angle at about 40-50'...15' isn't much of a buffer...glad to hear the damage was minimal

Hola amigos, yo he actualizado el firmware que amablemente me envió Jim Terrones de Yuneec USA, he realizado varios vuelos por encima de 8500 ft y en tres ocasiones my yuneec q500 4k se ha venido al suelo luego de vuelos cortos, de un momento a otro empieza a balancearse de un lado a otro y pierde altura rápidamente cayendo al piso, he logrado detener la caida en dos ocasiones pero en el último vuelo se vino abajo, volvió a despegar y cayo nuevamente desde aproximadamente 30 pies. Según lo que he leído, podría tratarse de VRS (vortex ring state), sin embargo me parece extraño que de 5 vuelos, 3 terminen sin control, acaso podría ser problema del firmware?
aquí les dejo el link del último vuelo (en el accidente solo se rompió una propela)

Reactions: oscarvlqz
Yuneec, i have a typhoon q500,I live in México city obove 8000 feet MSL and as soon as I go to te park and turn it no the drone beeps and the controller sais im in 8000 feet MSL. Can you please send me the firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola Gabriel, te transcribo el correo que me envió Tim Terrones para que tengas en cuenta las recomendaciones:

"Firmware attached. It is installed via the GUI interface onto the quad copter itself. We recommend you keep the unit in turtle mode until you get used to flying at the higher altitude. Also, avoid windy days and any cloudy weather as this could result in GPS loss.

We suggest Aeronaut carbon props. They have more pitch over stock props. The air is less dense at higher elevations, so performance is degraded the higher the density altitude is. Flying at higher elevations your machine will have less lift. Therefore the carbon props with more pitch will help.

Here is a link to the recommended propellers:

AERONAUT CARBON FIBER PROPS/ SET OF 4 "

El Firmware
Q500_v1.07_10_05_2015_no_max_altitude.bin

Reactions: dmsmoke261

Jeff,
I would love to see any video you have of the echo lake or the surrounding area. Flying is getting a little better.
Smoker

I live in Denver too. Was a bit miffed to get to Summit Country and find out I couldn't launch.

Each lake is gorgeous!
I'm the one who tested the new firmware last October of 2015. I live in Denver and took my Typhoon up to Echo Lake. (10,000ft.) I used the Aeronaut carbon fiber propellers and I was very satisfied with the 3 day's of testing.
Just one word of caution...make sure you are in lateral flight on your desent. Coming straight down in the thinner atmosphere will stall your airflow over the blades. Also limit your flights to 10-12 minutes on a full charge.

I just purchased a new Q500 4K and live at a little over 5,000 ft in Guatemala. Do you think I will have any issues with altitude problems? Should I request the new firmware?

Reactions: Soju178
[Quote = "Juanda, mensaje: 73203, miembro de: 7530"] Hola

hola ¿me podría enviar el software? Yo vivo en Bogotá que está por encima de 8000ft [/ quote]
Necesitas Aun Lo? Yo vivo en Pasto, una msnm 2700msnm, mi email: [email protected]

Hola amigos, yo he actualizado el firmware que amablemente me envió Jim Terrones de Yuneec USA, he realizado varios vuelos por encima de 8500 ft y en tres ocasiones my yuneec q500 4k se ha venido al suelo luego de vuelos cortos, de un momento a otro empieza a balancearse de un lado a otro y pierde altura rápidamente cayendo al piso, he logrado detener la caida en dos ocasiones pero en el último vuelo se vino abajo, volvió a despegar y cayo nuevamente desde aproximadamente 30 pies. Según lo que he leído, podría tratarse de VRS (vortex ring state), sin embargo me parece extraño que de 5 vuelos, 3 terminen sin control, acaso podría ser problema del firmware?
aquí les dejo el link del último vuelo (en el accidente solo se rompió una propela)

Hola, como haces para grabar con esos datos? usas un software especial?
saludos

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop