Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Altitude Restriction Question.

Reaction score
Looking for the truth. Someone must know.
I hear it was once ON, then locked OFF. Then The FAA
has 107 where you must obey.
But now, Court shot down FAA registration. (For Now)

I am on the latest Firmware 3.01.b30 (DownLoaded as 3.04 from Yuneec)

Do I need the waiver code from Yuneec?

BTW< I mailed them via email saturday. No answer yet.

It is my understanding they need your H serial Number
and augment to code back to you, the flyer.

Unless it is now disabled from LOCK and GEOFENCE,
where the GUI allows the update
Anyone?

Yes. Court decision doesn't change the rules. You still have a alt. Limit and the los, 5 m8le rule etc. It just means rec. Pilots don't have to register with the faa.

I am well aware the Creator didn't grant us wings!
But in 2017 A.D. a well to do human can, for around 970 + 187 dollars,
(the H and the sky-views) actually transport one's consciousness
to the AIR and feel like FLYING! It's safer than SKYDIVING!!

Nothing about the registration law impacts Part 107 holders. Commercial aircraft still have to be registered, commercial operators still have an altitude limit of 400', or no higher than 400' above a structure when withing 400' of the structure if the structure is higher than 400'.

For recreational users, the registration requirement was struck down, and by all rights that agreement you signed to operate below 400' was as well since it was incorporated into the registration process. Recreational users do not have an altitude limit but they are, just as they have always been, fully responsible to see and avoid and totally responsible for any actual conflict between their model and a full scale.

Yuneec still has the NFZ locations and if you do not have a waiver your aircraft will not function inside the NFZ. If you have a recreational waiver you will still have an altitude limitation if within 1 mile of the center of the NFZ. Commercial waivers are unrestricted. The only way to obtain a commercial waiver is by submitting a copy of your 107 certificate with your waiver request. Without the certificate you'll get a recreational waiver.

The GUI is used to establish a personal Geo Fence that is in effect when using Smart Mode. The GUI Geo Fence is not operative when using Angle mode.

I ha e to disagree with the 400ft. That 400ft rule has been in effect long before the registration of drones was proposed. Now if people follow those rules or were aware of them is another thing. But if any aero modeler joined the AMA or looked into the AMA then they would have learned about this rule.

Thank you.
Rayray, this is cool - during our discussion here tonight while ABC DWTS is on TV,
I got the return EMAIL from Yuneec! (They're on line with us!)
GUI here we come. (Where did I put the Typhoon!)

BTW, former skydiver, an AMA member, FAA reg number ON my typhoon, and
in study for the 107. And I live in Nebraska!
Thanks to all respondents.

I ha e to disagree with the 400ft. That 400ft rule has been in effect long before the registration of drones was proposed. Now if people follow those rules or were aware of them is another thing. But if any aero modeler joined the AMA or looked into the AMA then they would have learned about this rule.

If there were a 400 ft. altitude limit for hobbyists, there would be no model air shows, and gliders would be non-existent. My screen name is after all, glider for a reason.

There never was a 400 ft. altitude rule, even after registering yourself with the FAA. It's a guideline. The most the FAA said on the matter is the recommendation of being a member of and following CBO guidelines. AMA Safety Code http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF I was an AMA member for ~15 years before resigning.

The bottom line is don't fly stupid and use common sense. Modelers must yield to full scale aircraft no matter what. An example is where I live we have many crop dusters in the Spring so are particularly cautious.

BTW the AMA did little or nothing to support John Taylor's lawsuit however I will refrain from commenting on it.

"Model aircraft operators should follow best practices including limiting operations to 400 feet above ground level (AGL)."

Key word "should". Your right as it's a guideline but it's still a rule. I deal with this every day with code and fire inspectors. Should is not shall but is still a rule and some inspectors will make you follow it and some wont.
I didn't want to get into a discussion over semantics. But I belive we are on the same page on this subject. I should have not put limit in my post as that infers max and an absolute. Sorry for the confusion.

Take a few minutes and read part 336. 336 is the standard that binds recreational flyers. Also note the FAA agrees with the AMA that people operating inside the safety rules of a national community based organization do not have a 400' restriction. There is no 400' altitude limit for recreational flyers, and never has been. There is an advisory in the FAR's about flying below 400' within 5 miles of an airport, but that is not a rule or regulation. If there was a 400' limit the AMA would not be able to sponsor or sanction thermal duration soaring events, slope soaring events, IMAC competitions, giant scale or medium scale aerobatics, or 3D events. All of them bust 400' by a very large margin.

It's only a problem because people don't read the actual law, they just read a few posts on the internet and think what they read is true because it was posted. Perusing internet blogs does not qualify as due diligence unless you personally verify accuracy through official sources.

Yuneec still has the NFZ locations and if you do not have a waiver your aircraft will not function inside the NFZ. If you have a recreational waiver you will still have an altitude limitation if within 1 mile of the center of the NFZ. Commercial waivers are unrestricted. The only way to obtain a commercial waiver is by submitting a copy of your 107 certificate with your waiver request. Without the certificate you'll get a recreational waiver.
The documentation that came with my Typhoon H gave me a link to knowbeforeyoufly.org. I do real estate photography and live in San Diego, so just about everything is within someone's NFZ. I have never had my H refuse to fly, and I don't have a waiver of any sort. I do call my local airports to inform them that real estate aerial photography will take place at a specific time for a specific duration, at what height (never more than 100'), and the coordinates. Never had an issue from anyone. One guy who seems to always answer the phone when I call told me he wished drone operators would quit calling.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal