Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

antenna mods, how many have done them....

So how many members have modified their H and or ST16 to have the remote antennas

• Total voters
The correct cables I mentioned were for another project but was to share the length one goes to reduce the variables in an antenna system. I actually purchased the cables and antennas on Amazon. To get you familiar with the style and lengths here's some of what I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A4I3AGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019FUHAU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the shorter 3dB antennas (so they don't interfere with the camera) along with the shorter cables from the other kit, on the H, and then then higher gain antennas can be used on the ST16. You can use the longer cables inside the ST16 ---- But, I actually bought a couple sets of both (and some spare cables) since I have two H Advances and I mixed and matched cables. I really think you should poke around and search Amazon to find out what works best for you based on the descriptions of what I bought . I did learn, after purchase, that the thicker coax cable was too hard to easily route inside the H and in certain parts of the ST16 -- So, other cables I ordered where never used. And 20cm length seemed to work well for both H and ST16.

In the end... I have options with antennas and like you, have already invested in the "higher end" 3rd party antennas. If Itelite comes out with their Pro antenna then you certainly can use that alone. Right now, I have my Itelite on one ST16, with two of the higher gain antennas from Amazon for the newer antenna connections I made (that ST16 has 4 connections) and on my other ST16, I use my FPVLR along with another FPVLR antenna for the 2.4GHz connection (that ST16 has only 3 antenna ports) I also could put the higher gain antennas (from Amazon) on the H and just not pan around where the antennas would get in the shot.....But, I have lots of combinations and have not really gone the distance yet to tell you which ones work best. My goal is to have a solid connection within LOS in a relatively high RF environment. The FPVLR antennas allow to be easily placed along with the Itelite panel antenna or all by themselves --- But, I'm not sure you, specifically, plan to purchase the FPVLR antennas soon.
Thanks Hal, no to the FPVLR, Just a issue I had with them on destroying my P3 Pro Controller, so will never invest in them or him again(A personal thing only)

Thanks Hal, no to the FPVLR, Just a issue I had with them on destroying my P3 Pro Controller, so will never invest in them or him again(A personal thing only)

Yes.... We've discussed this before. For those that will buy them, FPVLR has moved out of the country and the best source to the US with reasonable shipping is using one of their US dealers...Found on their website.

The correct cables I mentioned were for another project but was to share the length one goes to reduce the variables in an antenna system. I actually purchased the cables and antennas on Amazon. To get you familiar with the style and lengths here's some of what I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A4I3AGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019FUHAU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the shorter 3dB antennas (so they don't interfere with the camera) along with the shorter cables from the other kit, on the H, and then then higher gain antennas can be used on the ST16. You can use the longer cables inside the ST16 ---- But, I actually bought a couple sets of both (and some spare cables) since I have two H Advances and I mixed and matched cables. I really think you should poke around and search Amazon to find out what works best for you based on the descriptions of what I bought . I did learn, after purchase, that the thicker coax cable was too hard to easily route inside the H and in certain parts of the ST16 -- So, other cables I ordered where never used. And 20cm length seemed to work well for both H and ST16.

In the end... I have options with antennas and like you, have already invested in the "higher end" 3rd party antennas. If Itelite comes out with their Pro antenna then you certainly can use that alone. Right now, I have my Itelite on one ST16, with two of the higher gain antennas from Amazon for the newer antenna connections I made (that ST16 has 4 connections) and on my other ST16, I use my FPVLR along with another FPVLR antenna for the 2.4GHz connection (that ST16 has only 3 antenna ports) I also could put the higher gain antennas (from Amazon) on the H and just not pan around where the antennas would get in the shot.....But, I have lots of combinations and have not really gone the distance yet to tell you which ones work best. My goal is to have a solid connection within LOS in a relatively high RF environment. The FPVLR antennas allow to be easily placed along with the Itelite panel antenna or all by themselves --- But, I'm not sure you, specifically, plan to purchase the FPVLR antennas soon.

Hal, I find this thread to be exactly what I would like to do...however, the Gilmore video is very short on visual detail as to what and where the exact connections are to be made. It would have been ideal if Gilmore could have had someone assist and zoom in while inside the H. But, that's neither here nor there at this point. What I really need is a step by step outline of the whole procedure. Is that something you might be willing to provide?

I'll only add that my goal in upgrading is not for range. I'm perfectly happy with the range I now have with my FPVLR antennas. That said, I'm in Tennessee and rarely have the opportunity to fly without 60' plus trees all around me. So, I often fly a CCC mission where I'm out at not even a long distance at a couple hundred feet altitude and my bird often loses LOS just briefly behind treetops. Therefore, my real need is a boosted signal or at least a stronger telemetry signal so as not to lose video.

Will making this upgrade solve (or at least improve) that problem? Thanks in advance. Hugh

With both my ST16 already modified... I really have no step by step subject to show.

The modification of the H was well covered by FPV Guy and I used that as reference.

As for the ST16--- Basically, when looking down at the circuit boards (once you open up the ST16), there is one board about 2" by 1 1/2" size towards the middle; the right most antenna connection on the board (often covered with black tape) leads to an internal antenna in the far upper right... That's the one you need to remove and replace with a cable assembly that leads to your newly mounted external RP-SMA jack. Where you put that jack on the top side of the ST16 is really up to you. I chose to put it on the outside of the existing RP-SMA jacks to allow me to continue to use my itelite DBS antenna.

YIKES....You must have a pretty strong neck strap!!! :)

So you are boosting the telemetry at the H AND boosting control at the ST16 now? What about boosting video? Won't one lose camera before losing control? .... Just curious...

The Cgo3+ can get a Range of 8,000ft distant without boosters im not worried about video more and the 2.4 control link

BTW i have another 2.4booster on the way from China should be here nxt week

The Cgo3+ can get a Range of 8,000ft distant without boosters im not worried about video more and the 2.4 control link

Again, the key for me here in wanting to boost video is not for the purpose of range, but rather strengthening the video signal either at the ST16 end and/or the CGO3+ so I don't lose telemetry /video when I go behind a few thin treetops intermittently. So, what is my best means of accomplishing that end?

Again, the key for me here in wanting to boost video is not for the purpose of range, but rather strengthening the video signal either at the ST16 end and/or the CGO3+ so I don't lose telemetry /video when I go behind a few thin treetops intermittently. So, what is my best means of accomplishing that end?

ow ok well buy a aftermarket antenna your best option you can also boost the vide with a 5.8ghz booster

I agree completely.

Rather than voiding your warranty, wouldn't something like this be better?
ITELITE DBS for Yuneec Typhoon H, Tornado H920L, ST16, ST24 Radio

My video freezes with the Itelite or FPVLR antennas at far less then that... what's the "secret" to get 8000Ft?

My video freezes with the Itelite or FPVLR antennas at far less then that... what's the "secret" to get 8000Ft?
it sounds like they may not be making proper contact with the SMA connectors. try taking the nut off and removing the washer then replacing the nut. that has been said to aid in a better connection of the center wires.

it sounds like they may not be making proper contact with the SMA connectors. try taking the nut off and removing the washer then replacing the nut. that has been said to aid in a better connection of the center wires.

Not the case... Those lock washers were removed within a day of getting the FPVLR antennas. I think it is all the RF in my area...And topography. I think 8000 feet is over water or on a complete flat environment, with the H flying at max height and somewhere in the country.

All these commercially made statement over range are under ideal conditions. Like those handheld GMRS/FRS radios running 2 watts one buys claims 25 mile range. Yeah...If both of you are on a mountain peak and line of sight. I've been around 2-way radio for over 40 years and know what to typically expect :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin