Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone personally test the payload capability?

Reaction score
I will be attaching 4 and a half lbs. And programming it to fly 0.7 miles out and drop its payload and return back to me completely autonomously. Anyone see any concerns with my plan?

I will be attaching 4 and a half lbs. And programming it to fly 0.7 miles out and drop its payload and return back to me completely autonomously. Anyone see any concerns with my plan?
I see plenty wrong with it.

@Steve Carr everything I read says that it has a payload capability of around 2500g. Is this untrue? I've watched video of it carrying two water bottles with no issues... Am I missing something? I'm new to the hobby so help me out here please.

@ThunderChicken
Would you mind elaborating? I thought I had everything pretty well thought out, but what's the deal? I have to have this organized for a scavenger hunt event this Friday. Thanks

Flying a programmed route and dropping an object from the aircraft without observing the drop area seems like a very risky proposition. Safety of drop area could not be guaranteed. Also why fly programmed to location and dropping a payload? Sound a bit suspicious as well.

Reactions: Dooogie
A multi rotor need 2 times it's weight in thrust in order to fly successfully. The H weighs about 1800 grams, so it needs 3600 grams of thrust for successful flight and manuver. Each motor generates approximate 900 grams, times 6 equals 5400 grams total lift. So, 5400 minus 3600 leaves 1800 grams of lift power. 4 pounds equals 1814 grams. So theoretically the H will not get off the ground, it would meet to generate over 7200 grams of lift which the airframe will not support. Good luck.

A multi rotor need 2 times it's weight in thrust in order to fly successfully. The H weighs about 1800 grams, so it needs 3600 grams of thrust for successful flight and manuver. Each motor generates approximate 900 grams, times 6 equals 5400 grams total lift. So, 5400 minus 3600 leaves 1800 grams of lift power. 4 pounds equals 1814 grams. So theoretically the H will not get off the ground, it would meet to generate over 7200 grams of lift which the airframe will not support. Good luck.
That may be true, in theory. However, the design of this aircraft and most others, includes the weight of the accessories that it would normally carry. When you exceed that weight you are placing additional stress on the motors and in particular the ESC's. There is a good chance they will overheat and perhaps fail in a short time.

@Steve Carr everything I read says that it has a payload capability of around 2500g. Is this untrue? I've watched video of it carrying two water bottles with no issues... Am I missing something? I'm new to the hobby so help me out here please.
Where did you see this? The takeoff weight is listed as 1965g.

curious, what is it you are going to drop??

Nothing wrong with the plan, just the tools employed for execution. You should consider implementing an ammeter into the electrical system to measure current draw. The electrical system will do all it can to lift any amount of weight. It simply increases current draw to achieve that end. It can, and will , burn itself out if capacity is exceeded. You need to know what normal current loading is and try to avoid exceeding that much more than ~15%.

programming it to fly 0.7 miles out and drop its payload and return back to me completely autonomously. Anyone see any concerns with my plan?

Without even considering the tech capability, the main problem is legal. I believe the FAA requires real-time visual observation of the drop area to be sure there are no people who could be hit by the released content.

Other members please correct me if this is wrong...

They do, but that requirement might be satisfied with V/O, assuming, of course, the aircraft was still visible to the naked eye of the operator..

They do, but that requirement might be satisfied with V/O, assuming, of course, the aircraft was still visible to the naked eye of the operator..
The drop area has to be under surveillance of the pilot or a ground observer in communication with the pilot.
At 3696 feet in distance straight line the drop zone would not be observable and I doubt the drone would be sufficiently visible to satisfy the Line Of Sight requirement.

I dropped 1.5 lbs of water from my H from 300 ft no problem. Unpopulated area, trained observers.
I tried 3 lb bleach bottle of water. Would not get more than an inch off the ground.
It had trouble with 2 lbs and when I tried to drop it, the landing gear locked up so I did not try again.. You can see the rig up here.

Reactions: Socaljj
Using the landing gear as a drop mechanism is pretty risky to landing gear. It has been pretty well established the lock mechanism is rather fragile. Thinking about that causes me to reflect on a few warranty returns people have made for landing gear issues.

With a extra payload on the H series. With camera on I can carry 2lbs for about 2000ft. Any farther than that, the battery gets almost to weak to go much more and return home. And you need to take into account the wind and if something happens and payload doesn't drop you got to get it home to you safely.... Food for thought...

Battery drain could be a limitation.
Test it before going live.
Set the mission to fly out & hover.
Then exit it and drop the load.
Then RTL.
Plan an emergency landing spot on the flight path if the battery runs down too fast.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joyflightfare