Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone try different props yet?

Reaction score
I'm looking at this: YUNEEC TYPHOON H480 to DJI P 2 3 prop adapter by BafcStudios on Shapeways (probably the steel option, as I raise eyebrows at the thought of putting that much stress on plastic or nylon, or am I being overly worrisome?

and this: 4 Set 9443 3-Blade Self-locking Folding CW/CCW Propeller Prop for DJI Phantom 2 | eBay
... Those are 9443 vs the Maytech 9660. Not concerned over the .2" difference in diameter, but the lower pitch is annoying. I'd have to find something closer to 9660: consider this link for idea reference.

Another thought was to put a thick washer under every other prop to raise it slightly above its neighbors, to allow slightly larger props without risking them striking each other. Would definitely play with this on the bench to make sure of thrust/load/current parameters before actually flying with it, as I would not want to burn out ESCs or motors. Hoping to come up with a combination that reduces battery draw and/or makes for a quieter flight.

Anyone yet try any of this? Any thoughts on pros/cons?

I'm currently using Maytech's carbon fiber set (and rotor guards just to be safe). Minor annoyance having to file 5 of 6 for them to fit, and then having to balance them. Luckily, the balance was close and just needed a minor tweak. Once that was done, I became quite pleased with the results.

I'm looking at this: YUNEEC TYPHOON H480 to DJI P 2 3 prop adapter by BafcStudios on Shapeways (probably the steel option, as I raise eyebrows at the thought of putting that much stress on plastic or nylon, or am I being overly worrisome?

and this: 4 Set 9443 3-Blade Self-locking Folding CW/CCW Propeller Prop for DJI Phantom 2 | eBay
... Those are 9443 vs the Maytech 9660. Not concerned over the .2" difference in diameter, but the lower pitch is annoying. I'd have to find something closer to 9660: consider this link for idea reference.

Another thought was to put a thick washer under every other prop to raise it slightly above its neighbors, to allow slightly larger props without risking them striking each other. Would definitely play with this on the bench to make sure of thrust/load/current parameters before actually flying with it, as I would not want to burn out ESCs or motors. Hoping to come up with a combination that reduces battery draw and/or makes for a quieter flight.

I'm currently using Maytech's carbon fiber set (and rotor guards just to be safe). Minor annoyance having to file 5 of 6 for them to fit, and then having to balance them. Luckily, the balance was close and just needed a minor tweak. Once that was done, I became quite pleased with the results.

Where did you find rotor guards? I wasn't aware that any were available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152230485581?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Minor annoyance trimming the bottom part to avoid blocking the rotor lights, but they work pretty well.
You have to trim these? I just bought a set for my H and haven't been able to try them because it's still in warranty/repair. Seems odd that you would need to modify them when they're listed as for the H. Not too big a deal...I have a Dremel, but still doesn't make much sense that you would need to make changes for them to fit correctly.

Oh, they fit as-is. They just block the under-motor lights unless modified.

/e: I don't get the warranty comment. Why would a warranty stop you from using prop guards? They are snap on/off, no modifications required to use. At least the set I have and linked are...

Last edited:
Adding prop guards will decrease performance. Using non OEM props can change the load balance from the original design which could result in early ESC failure. It's also possible that changing the prop pitch would increase the likelihood of VRS. That happened numerous times with the Q500 resulting in some serious damage from crashes.

Adding prop guards will decrease performance. Using non OEM props can change the load balance from the original design which could result in early ESC failure. It's also possible that changing the prop pitch would increase the likelihood of VRS. That happened numerous times with the Q500 resulting in some serious damage from crashes.
I'm well aware that guards reduce performance. They block a measurable but insignificant amount of wash, and, though light, they do have mass; extra mass that must be lifted. In a hover test (same battery/props, only diff being the guards), I lost 30, maybe 45, seconds of flight time, from full charge to first battery warning. This is an acceptable loss for the added protection if/when flying near obstructions. I'd rather lose a minute and bounce than lose a prop or three - or a motor/arm, as the CF props are unlikely to actually give!

With non-OEM props of the same specs (like the Maytech carbon fibers), I don't see a problem at all. In fact, these props are slightly lighter and significantly stronger and stiffer. If there's a reason they shouldn't be used, please elucidate.

I don't get the "load balance" comment. If all props are the same (and all are individually balanced as well), where's the imbalance? I get that using a different pitch/length can change the load on the motor/ESC (hence my mention of bench testing before using in flight), but don't see a "balance" issue, unless you're referring to the RPM/current/thrust "balance" I already mentioned testing.

"VRS"?

/e: (just fixed a couple typos)

Reactions: HedoBum
I HEAR what you say about possible consequences of "different" from OEM Props. So don't be offended when I ask if anyone knows about 4 bladed props that work with Typhoon H Pro.

I HEAR what you say about possible consequences of "different" from OEM Props. So don't be offended when I ask if anyone knows about 4 bladed props that work with Typhoon H Pro.
There are no 4 bladed props for the TH to my knowledge...unless some mad scientist with a 3d printer has designed their own with mounting hubs that fit exactly and a blade length that prevents them from interfering with neighbouring blades. Doesn't sound feasible to me. I'm pretty sure that it would not only void your warranty, but the very balance of nature.

There is no advantage to 4 bladed props. While they provide more thrust, they also require more current. In most cases, they are less efficient than 2 bladed props. Usually, extra blades are only used where you cannot use larger diameter props.
My motors on the H get pretty hot on a 95 degree day. With 3 or 4 bladed props, they would very likely overheat.

Another thing that worries me about carbon fiber props.
While they are stronger and lighter, it also means they will not break as easily if you hit something. Physics say that the force has to be applied somewhere. On plastic (OEM) props, they break to absorb the impact saving the motors the ESC and who knows what else. The carbon fiber props will have less give, and transmit most of the impact to the motors and supporting structure. I for one am happy with the original OEM props, I have broken a few when I was being careless. Would much rather have to go inside and get a new prop verses replacing a motor or motor arm.

Reactions: Rayray
Another thing that worries me about carbon fiber props.
While they are stronger and lighter, it also means they will not break as easily if you hit something. Physics say that the force has to be applied somewhere. On plastic (OEM) props, they break to absorb the impact saving the motors the ESC and who knows what else. The carbon fiber props will have less give, and transmit most of the impact to the motors and supporting structure. I for one am happy with the original OEM props, I have broken a few when I was being careless. Would much rather have to go inside and get a new prop verses replacing a motor or motor arm.
Yeah, I touched that in #7 above. Hence the prop guards. As I said above, I'd rather lose a minute of flying time than a prop (or motor/arm).

I weighed the prop sets. The OEM propset (6 of them) weighs 29g. The Maytech CF's set weight was 50g. Yes, the CF weight to be lifted is greater. However, that 21g difference (and more) is in the stronger metal hubs. The CF blades are lighter, so the blade center of gravity (per blade, not the prop!) is closer to the hub. Angular force and momentum physics applied, it takes less energy to spin the CF's than the OEMs. I'd consider that balanced (no pun intended) by the extra mass in the hubs needing to be lifted, so no real loss/gain. I'd have to hover-time-test the two sets to be more definitive, but I expect the delta to be inside the margin of error.

Side note. My original balancer wasn't maglev. The balancing was not as good as I'd thought. I finally got a maglev balancer. Wow. Even the OEM props were off. What a sound difference after balancing the props w maglev. I'd recommend getting a maglev balancer and checking all your props, regardless of source.

(/e - clarified maglev vs non-maglev balancer)

Last edited:

Thats my product what is your concern?

It works fine the idea behind the nylon ones is that you try it and if your satisfied you buy the metal ones. The two center arms on the typhoon need a good tug back and the props wont rub. Yesterday i got the 9450 carbon fiber and i havnt balanced them or flown them yet. Lots of rain too. I will definitly get it in the air next week and show you guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss