Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Approached by an "FAA Inspector"

Skyler, I saw nothing wrong with the attitude. I'd have been far less polite to an imposter.

No ID or badge, he'll get told to perform a solitary vice to the point of expiration. ID shown? I'll tell him I refuse to have an attention-divided conversation: wait until I've safely landed. Once on the ground, I call the FAA and verify him. If real, conversation proceeds. If fake, I text the Sheriff (perhaps pretending to be looking for an ecopy of my cert) and I *pretend* he's real long enough for the sheriff to arrive and arrest him for impersonating a Federal agent. Yes, I *will* press charges. I'll contact some friends at the FAA and advise them of the situation so THEY can also press charges - if the FAA itself presses against a faker, it'll REALLY hurt. A faker will NOT enjoy the results if he pulls his crap on me.

I'm a DoD ATC System Engineer. As such, I know a LOT of people at the FAA. I also know the controllers at the Navy base whose pattern my house is under. I've already spoken with the FWS (facility watch supervisor) and they don't care if I fly anywhere around this field other than approach and departure corridors as long as I don't exceed 200'. If 200+ and under the pattern, they want a phone call first (and they've never declined - probably because I don't ask during Ops when I know they would!). If not under the pattern, 400 is fair game anyway. A (real) inspector will be shown that email, which I keep in my TH and Hubsan 501S carry cases.

I carry my sUAS cert of reg as a card ( http://www.uavstickers.com/store.php#!/FAA-UAV-operations/c/22486907/offset=0&sort=normal ). A real inspector should be able to phone it in and verify it's real and unexpired. if not, he can come to my house and look at my computer screen.

If my attitude seems hostile, sorry. That hostility is at the situation/fakers, not anyone here. Why so hostile? My then-20 y/o daughter was pulled over by a FAKE cop. Good for her, bad for him, she was a brown belt (black now). Faux LEO of any sort just p!sses me off...

I noticed in the FAA faq you posted for me to read it says you have to inform the airport that you are flying that close bit they can not tell you "no". They can object but not prevent you from flying. I hope i read that right. It did mention however that you need to fly cautiously in that situation which is just common sense.

Bill W.
FAA page says:
Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

Emphasis (italics) added. So, yes, you can fly anyway. Read the next sentence. IOW, ignore them and screw up, you're even more hosed...

FAA page says:
Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

Emphasis (italics) added. So, yes, you can fly anyway. Read the next sentence. IOW, ignore them and screw up, you're even more hosed...
I thought i read that right...thanks.

Skyler, I saw nothing wrong with the attitude. I'd have been far less polite to an imposter.

No ID or badge, he'll get told to perform a solitary vice to the point of expiration. ID shown? I'll tell him I refuse to have an attention-divided conversation: wait until I've safely landed. Once on the ground, I call the FAA and verify him. If real, conversation proceeds. If fake, I text the Sheriff (perhaps pretending to be looking for an ecopy of my cert) and I *pretend* he's real long enough for the sheriff to arrive and arrest him for impersonating a Federal agent. Yes, I *will* press charges. I'll contact some friends at the FAA and advise them of the situation so THEY can also press charges - if the FAA itself presses against a faker, it'll REALLY hurt. A faker will NOT enjoy the results if he pulls his crap on me.

I'm a DoD ATC System Engineer. As such, I know a LOT of people at the FAA. I also know the controllers at the Navy base whose pattern my house is under. I've already spoken with the FWS (facility watch supervisor) and they don't care if I fly anywhere around this field other than approach and departure corridors as long as I don't exceed 200'. If 200+ and under the pattern, they want a phone call first (and they've never declined - probably because I don't ask during Ops when I know they would!). If not under the pattern, 400 is fair game anyway. A (real) inspector will be shown that email, which I keep in my TH and Hubsan 501S carry cases.

I carry my sUAS cert of reg as a card ( http://www.uavstickers.com/store.php#!/FAA-UAV-operations/c/22486907/offset=0&sort=normal ). A real inspector should be able to phone it in and verify it's real and unexpired. if not, he can come to my house and look at my computer screen.

If my attitude seems hostile, sorry. That hostility is at the situation/fakers, not anyone here. Why so hostile? My then-20 y/o daughter was pulled over by a FAKE cop. Good for her, bad for him, she was a brown belt (black now). Faux LEO of any sort just p!sses me off...
Thanks. Was he real? Did you e ver find out?

Thanks. Was he real? Did you ever find out?
Was who real? The "cop" that pulled over my daughter? Yah, he was real. A real rapist with a record. She put him in intensive care, and he transferred to prison from there.

An inspector? I've not yet been approached. I just delineated my probable response if I am, by a fake anyway.

In my situation and i am sure i speak for most here.... within the 5mi airport space it it always best to keep a professional attitude and our actions on safety...... 1st and foremost. Of course anytime we fly safety is 1st and attitude sets the best example for now and future interactions w/ local and FAA authorities........ we may need permission but I always ask for it out of respect...... using the proper terminology, phrases and all right answers when talking to the tower and or ATC.... they will remember you and never say no or at least tell the operational times that could be a problem. I have even been asked to delay my flights due to an operation by Law enforcement, news and traffic heli's in my area..... and i did just that . like the one person said earlier, he has a good repore with airport......

Our actions are what the future or our industry relys on..... BEING SMART...... 99% of us do that.....

I just wish Yuneec would allow us to limit our own altitude based on the law and conditions at hand.

and actually the Airport operator can object but cannot prohibit or prevent you from flying..... from FAA FAQ on UAS hobby operations:

not heeding to his objection puts you in their mind as endangering the safety of the NAS.

not saying you have done this....... but just some friendly advice

FAA is usa airspace only. Belize may have their own air traffic control.

I'm an air carrier pilot and divide my time between the US and my other home in Belize.

This person worked at the FAA Aeronautical Center. I contacted them and they are investigating. Apparently, what this person did is a reason for termination. There has been a special agent assigned.
The FAA doesn't like their employees, who aren't inspectors, pretending they can't take enforcement action.

I'm an air carrier pilot and divide my time between the US and my other home in Belize.

This person worked at the FAA Aeronautical Center. I contacted them and they are investigating. Apparently, what this person did is a reason for termination. There has been a special agent assigned.
The FAA doesn't like their employees, who aren't inspectors, pretending they can't take enforcement action.
So does Belize have its own aviation authority or is it controlled by another authority like the FAA?

Bill W.

For a moment, I thought I read "aircraft carrier pilot"... :)

MMAC? Mike Monroe Aero Center?

and actually the Airport operator can object but cannot prohibit or prevent you from flying..... from FAA FAQ on UAS hobby operations:

not heeding to his objection puts you in their mind as endangering the safety of the NAS.

not saying you have done this....... but just some friendly advice

The only time I've ... not heeded a "denial" was some 4 months ago, when I hit some clown that said "no!" as soon as he heard the word "drone" (I've called it an "RC multirotor" ever since). If he can't even hear where and when I intend to fly, I'm not of a mind to hear him either. I politely made that clear to him, asked for his supervisor, and ... got his training expanded (and an acknowledgment of my flight plan with no issues - so I guess it wasn't really not heeding). Stay professional, calm and non-confrontational. If you're being treated unfairly, ask for the next person up the food chain.

Today I was flying outside my house and a guy came by and told me I'm not supposed to fly within 5 miles of an airport. I told him that I can. He said I'm with the FAA and there are rules against fly that close to an airport. I explained to him that I notified the tower and he asked who I got permission from. I told him that first of all I didn't need to tell him and second of all I don't need permission. We went round and round and it ended with him saying he is going to report me and I told him to go ahead. He couldn't even tell me the regulation that covers commercial use of drones.

I know all the people at the local FSDO and I was flying within the rules so I have nothing to worry about.

Unfortunately, my drone battery was going down so I landed. I didn't want him to think I landed because of him.

Just watch out for these people and be prepared if one comes up to you. Be familiar with this website
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

If he didn't have ID you could have I'm arrested for impersonating a federal agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill,

You will not have to re-register your aircraft to fly commercially. Part 107 specifically states that both the hobby and full scale/333 methods are acceptable.

Bill,

You will not have to re-register your aircraft to fly commercially. Part 107 specifically states that both the hobby and full scale/333 methods are acceptable.

Thanks for that info. Can you please point me to that? Just would like to read that for myself. Im taking my exam this Saturday.

Bill W.

You'll find that validation in the text of the Part 107 release. Reading the release through will expand your knowledge of the law and leave you better prepared to be a commercial operator.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis