Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

As wildfire season ramps up, nearby drones are becoming a problem again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by THoff, Jun 27, 2016.

1. THoff

From As wildfire season ramps up, nearby drones are becoming a problem again

2. CharlzO

I know it's a touchy area, but I would almost expect that in an emergency situation like that, there would be an allowance for safety or law enforcement personnel to dispatch the nuisance drone(s). I mean, someone can complain about a thousand dollar toy being brought down, or they can be subjected to the fines of who knows how much for interrupting and potentially causing much more harm or injury. I'm surprised that's not a clause somewhere, that if there's a state of restriction or emergency, than it overrides the drone owner's right to "fair airspace" or whatever you want to call it. Personally if I was hindering rescue operations, I'd expect someone to boot me out of the way. Just my opinion, of course.

3. THoff

Actually, California Senate Bill 168 was introduced last year to allow first responders to do just that. It would have indemnified them if they damaged or destroyed an unmanned aircraft system for interfering with the emergency services they provide. The bill was passed by the California senate, but vetoed by Governor Brown:

Personally I am disappointed that he vetoed this bill, but I can see his point as well. The complete information about the bill is here:

Bill Text - SB-168 Unmanned aircraft systems.