Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

B4UFly

Reaction score
I have found this (B4UFly) a great resource in seeing where airports are relative to where I am at any given moment.

However, an airport shows up, the zone shades in I click on the name for info.

It gives the GPS and call letters but no phone number??????

In order to let someone know, "get permission", it is necessary to call someone, anyone but it entails searching for a contact and a number.

I get impatient waiting for all the ads to load before you get to see a webpage so I get really annoyed at this.

I have found this (B4UFly) a great resource in seeing where airports are relative to where I am at any given moment.

However, an airport shows up, the zone shades in I click on the name for info.

It gives the GPS and call letters but no phone number??????

In order to let someone know, "get permission", it is necessary to call someone, anyone but it entails searching for a contact and a number.

I get impatient waiting for all the ads to load before you get to see a webpage so I get really annoyed at this.
Some airports are not manned, and have no office or phone, I have a couple small ones by me like that, then I just use the 1.5 mile rule under 400' as usual and know which way the small cessnas fly in and out of them, In fact I have never seen one in the area I fly that is 3 miles from the closest one!

this app sucks! it doesnt even load anything on 5 of my phones. IF it works for you, pls let me know what phones you are using.

is there a website that i can go directly to? im shocked the FAA doesnt have something like google maps online of no fly zones highlighted.
also, do i still need permission to fly at local parks (when no one is there) under 50ft? i wouldnt even know who to ask for permission to fly....

update
=====
it finally worked on my phone today. i had to terminate Google Maps. then gps was available for the b4ufly app. once the gps is available, the app works properly and all. otherwise, no gps, no deal. hope this helps others...

Last edited:
Just to put in my pennies worth.

I have an iphone 6splus and B4UFly works on that.

It shows everything from a farmers field used for landing to hospitals.

These are NOT the places in the Bird's NFZ list.

However if you are within the area of a place on the B4UFly app you should be contacting someone for "permission"

Usually this just means letting them know where and when and how high you expect to fly.

As for local or municipal parks there could be local ordinances.

If there us someone supervising the park, taking camping fees or whatever, I ask them if it's okay to "send my 'quadcopter' out over the lake to film". Touch wood have had no refusal yet.

Smaller parks I nipped into the sheriff's office and asked tbe deputies on duty if there are any ordinances. Once given the okay I don't ask again, don't tempt fate.

Again, so far so good.

Mind you this is TN and I understand the only state legislation to date is to make it illegal to 'Harrass hunters" with drones.

There may still be local ordinabces in more populace areas.

Perhaps I have been lucky so far, but then I always fibd someone to ask first.

Even down by the river if I see anyone fishing I will ask if my flying my 'quadcopter' (always avoid the inflamatory 'd' word) would annoy anyone.

So far the attitude has been "no problem. Can I look at it? Never seen one up close"

Fly safe..

Last edited:
I don't know why the FAA doesn't put contact info for the airports in the app. I have a pilots sectional app that I use to bring up the AFD (Airport/Facility Directory) of nearby airports. which includes the managers phone number.
You can also find the AFD info on the FAA website here:
http://aeronav.faa.gov/new_afd.asp?eff=02-06-2014&end=04-03-2014&effDate=06FEB2014

"Because the information fluctuates and would require updating too often to be feasible" ..... notice the quote marks :(

Oh well.
Would the app be SkyChartsPro or Flightwise Flight Planner?

I like the look of the latter, which is best in your opinuion?

this app sucks! it doesnt even load anything on 5 of my phones. IF it works for you, pls let me know what phones you are using.

is there a website that i can go directly to? im shocked the FAA doesnt have something like google maps online of no fly zones highlighted.
also, do i still need permission to fly at local parks (when no one is there) under 50ft? i wouldnt even know who to ask for permission to fly....

update
=====
it finally worked on my phone today. i had to terminate Google Maps. then gps was available for the b4ufly app. once the gps is available, the app works properly and all. otherwise, no gps, no deal. hope this helps others...
I have no issues with B4UFly on my phone or computer and I have a old Motorola too !

I have no issues with B4UFly on my phone or computer and I have a old Motorola too !

Oh, I wouldn't call it an issue simply a wish for the contacts to be included with the airport details or even the ATC or UNICOM frequencies could help.

Mind you for using commercially those would be available on the sectional in preflight planning.

All th
Oh, I wouldn't call it an issue simply a wish for the contacts to be included with the airport details or even the ATC or UNICOM frequencies could help.

Mind you for using commercially those would be available on the sectional in preflight planning.
All this information is on the VFR Sectional Chart for the area/airport you wish to fly by. There your Wish will be given! LOL!

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
You never mentioned VFR and for newbies, they need all the info they can handle my friend! I even doubt some will know what a VFR Sectional Chart is!;)

"Because the information fluctuates and would require updating too often to be feasible" ..... notice the quote marks :(

Oh well.
Would the app be SkyChartsPro or Flightwise Flight Planner?

I like the look of the latter, which is best in your opinuion?

Well the same FAA that does the app does the AFD which is where I get the info for who to call. .
I'm not sure Airport Managers phone numbers change that often.

The sectional gives you the frequencies for CT/Tower and ATIS/ASOS weather but not the phone number of the airport manager.
And why you may or may not be able to call the tower from a hand held radio 4.5 miles away they generally tell you to call the airport manager.

The sectional gives you the frequencies for CT/Tower and ATIS/ASOS weather but not the phone number of the airport manager.
And why you may or may not be able to call the tower from a hand held radio 4.5 miles away they generally tell you to call the airport manager.
Great point! I have had about four Class D and one Class C airport out of 50 that that I have flown by that I could not get a number and call them. Class D i will just follow the rules for it, Class C , if I can't contact, I don't fly it! Since C's are towered I usually don't have an issue contacting at least someone in the CT

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Great point! I have had about four Class D and one Class C airport out of 50 that that I have flown by that I could not get a number and call them. Class D i will just follow the rules for it, Class C , if I can't contact, I don't fly it! Since C's are towered I usually don't have an issue contacting at least someone in the CT
The AFD usually lists an airport managers phone number even for some non towered airports

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Not the bush airports that are by my home, and if they do, no answer and no call backs on messages left, ****, some of the airports have trees growing out of the runways that no plane can navigate, but the are listed as "Active" not "Abandoned"

Not the bush airports that are by my home, and if they do, no answer and no call backs on messages left, ****, some of the airports have trees growing out of the runways that no plane can navigate, but the are listed as "Active" not "Abandoned"
I did say "some of the non towered"
Where do you live? give my the identifier for one of the airports.
If it's on a US sectional and open most likely the AFD has a contact number. If it is not then it most likely isn't in the NFZ

One Eyed Creek, Lufkin, Tx, I looked up and received the "manager" phone number, but he never answers or returns messages. I believe it is a Private, grass runway. But the local Cherokee County Airport says they believe it is abandoned. And if I have made "three" attempts to call him and no response, document it, keep it with my 333/SP license and fly safe!;)

All the info I find shows One Eyed Creek (TX49) is 50 miles from Cherokee County Airport (KJSO),
And that it is at the edge/under the Class D airspace for Angelina CO Airport (KLFK).

Assuming you are flying there and you are flying for recreational purposes if you talk with KLFK 903-586-8219 (It's there airspace) leave a message with Paul 936-635-1450 (TX49 is his private airport, but listed as Unattended) watch and avoid aircraft, following FAA guidelines you should be good.

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
B4UFly works on my iPhone 6+ just fine.

Reactions: Mike_Flys

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval