Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

B4UFly

I fly commercially
All the info I find shows One Eyed Creek (TX49) is 50 miles from Cherokee County Airport (KJSO),
And that it is at the edge/under the Class D airspace for Angelina CO Airport (KLFK).

Assuming you are flying there and you are flying for recreational purposes if you talk with KLFK 903-586-8219 (It's there airspace) leave a message with Paul 936-635-1450 (TX49 is his private airport, but listed as Unattended) watch and avoid aircraft, following FAA guidelines you should be good.
most of the time, this is a big open field where I always fly to test new software and firmware updates and practice maneuvers, Paul is the number I have and he never answers or responds to voicemail

Reactions: Mike_Flys
I fly commercially

most of the time, this is a big open field where I always fly to test new software and firmware updates and practice maneuvers, Paul is the number I have and he never answers or responds to voicemail
I don't know Paul but I do know several pilots including a couple with their own airfield. Guess he doesn't use it much, and no one else does ether. Not even a little surprised he doesn't return your calls. I'm sure if you leave him a message every time stating where and when, and then of course fly safely watching for aircraft it will be fine. Best attempt to notify him.

Hover does not list local heliports as far as I can see. It seems to concentrate on airports and the 5 mile radius. I use Kittyhawk which list all the heliports, but no contact info. Hover makes it looks like I can fly in a lot of areas in my area that Kittyhawk say I may need clearances; for example the local PD Heliport, offshore oil platforms with heliports and all the local hospitals with heliports.

Hover does not list local heliports as far as I can see. It seems to concentrate on airports and the 5 mile radius. I use Kittyhawk which list all the heliports, but no contact info. Hover makes it looks like I can fly in a lot of areas in my area that Kittyhawk say I may need clearances; for example the local PD Heliport, offshore oil platforms with heliports and all the local hospitals with heliports.
I use the free app Avare for sectionals, Airport and airspace info.

Gentlemen,

After studying (and Passing ;)) my remote PIC Test! I'm thoroughly confused o_O

According to the sectional chart for my area, my office is right on the edge of class D airspace (34.492793, -93.015193, We own the building and rent space to a school and My brother and I run a surveying company out of the same facility)

Additionally, when I run the FAA's Be4ufly App, I am made aware of two local hospitals' Heliports, which aren't listed on the Sectional charts, and that I'm within 5 miles of.

I have the contact information for all (got it from SkyVector) but haven't contacted them yet, as I'm

two questions:
  1. If the heliports aren't on the sectional chart, what airspace are they in and how do you tell?
  2. What would you recommend as best practice course of action for recurring small flights from my office?
    • call each facility before I fly
    • Ask about or offer to write a Letter of Agreement with each facility
    • Is all that is required or do I still need a "COA" (certificate of Waiver?)
    • other

Or should I break down and call the FAA, I don't want to appear incompetent, again, lol. I have the number and his name as he has already called me to ask about some photos I uploaded to my website from my H's maiden voyage. :cool:

Any advice would be appreciated, do you have a forum where you would rather I post this?

Thanks in advance

@mwfoshee why did he have question regarding photos?

@mwfoshee why did he have question regarding photos?

He said he had a complaint from somebody who knows the town and I was within 5 miles of the airport. It was the first day and I didn't know anything about the rules.

I literally got the H out of the box, charged the Batteries, sat down on the front porch, flew straight up about 75 feet, did a 360 degree pan movie, landed and uploaded.

The FAA guy was super nice but definitely let me know that I shouldn't do that. He also said the area was to populated but he kinda got off that when I filled him in on the details.

Reactions: WEDWay
Gentlemen,

After studying (and Passing ;)) my remote PIC Test! I'm thoroughly confused o_O

According to the sectional chart for my area, my office is right on the edge of class D airspace (34.492793, -93.015193, We own the building and rent space to a school and My brother and I run a surveying company out of the same facility)

Additionally, when I run the FAA's Be4ufly App, I am made aware of two local hospitals' Heliports, which aren't listed on the Sectional charts, and that I'm within 5 miles of.

I have the contact information for all (got it from SkyVector) but haven't contacted them yet, as I'm

two questions:
  1. If the heliports aren't on the sectional chart, what airspace are they in and how do you tell?
  2. What would you recommend as best practice course of action for recurring small flights from my office?
    • call each facility before I fly
    • Ask about or offer to write a Letter of Agreement with each facility
    • Is all that is required or do I still need a "COA" (certificate of Waiver?)
    • other

Or should I break down and call the FAA, I don't want to appear incompetent, again, lol. I have the number and his name as he has already called me to ask about some photos I uploaded to my website from my H's maiden voyage. :cool:

Any advice would be appreciated, do you have a forum where you would rather I post this?

Thanks in advance

Congratulations on passing your test. Did you get your certificate yet?

Not sure I have seen a heli pad with it's own air space, if they did it would be on the sectional. If they are in the airports class D airspace then they fly with permission of the airport and have to call the tower just like an Airplane wishing to fly in their airspace wood.
You need to talk to the airport for sure.
If it was me I would also call the heli ports just to see how they respond.
Make sure you are aware of the Heli pads locations and don't fly to close and watch for helis.

I'm currently residing in class D airspace for an air-force base. I call when ever I want to fly from here. It has never taken more than 5 minutes to call and talk with them.
When I fly the airplane in Delta Airspace I call and talk with them every time, of course from the airplanes radio.... That's how the system works.

Thanks @Mike_Flys I passed the test yesterday and so far my results are not showing up in the IACRA website (I heard it can take up to 48 hrs from the time you complete)

I will call all parties, and feel them out. I have seen helicopters on approach to the closest hospital over my property before but so far they are well above 400 feet.

It is a small airport but it does have a control tower, at least in daylight. As far as the radio goes, I wondered about a small handheld at least to monitor incoming existing traffic. Notifying the tower directly when I'm about to fly is appealing to me, but that doesn't to really seem to satisfy the "in advance" or "prior authorization" wording to me. In fact are we supposed to give 24 hours notice?

Like some others have mentions, most of the town lies in the Class D space, especially notworthy are the houses and subdivisions along a lake that also lie within the lateral limits of Class D.

Thanks @Mike_Flys I passed the test yesterday and so far my results are not showing up in the IACRA website (I heard it can take up to 48 hrs from the time you complete)

I will call all parties, and feel them out. I have seen helicopters on approach to the closest hospital over my property before but so far they are well above 400 feet.

It is a small airport but it does have a control tower, at least in daylight. As far as the radio goes, I wondered about a small handheld at least to monitor incoming existing traffic. Notifying the tower directly when I'm about to fly is appealing to me, but that doesn't to really seem to satisfy the "in advance" or "prior authorization" wording to me. In fact are we supposed to give 24 hours notice?

Like some others have mentions, most of the town lies in the Class D space, especially notworthy are the houses and subdivisions along a lake that also lie within the lateral limits of Class D.
Hospital Heli Pads are not on Sectional Charts. You contact the Hospital EMT Service and let them know your desire to fly in their route. They will inform you if/how to let them know when you are flying. FAA in iteslf does not handle these any question need to be directed to your local FSS:rolleyes:

@DroneClone, excuse my noobness, but is FSS Flight Service Station and if it is, is that part of the FAA?, Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Yes part of 107 and it is in the questions on some of the tests. Never call a Control Tower, call the FSS if the airport has one, not all do! But if not call nearest airport that does

Reactions: mwfoshee
mwfoshee,
The way I understand you need to get permission to fly in controlled. It does not have to be 24 hours before your flight.
That said if you want to fly right now and you call and get voice mail, you can't fly so calling well in advanced is a good idea. But if you call and say ask a few minutes ahead of time and they say it's okay then it is fine.

Maybe DroneClone or one of the other pilots has a different view.

From FAA circular AC_107-2_AFS-1_Signed
Those planning sUAS operations in controlled airspace are encouraged to contact the FAA as early as possible.

The Regulation sates:
107.41 Operation in certain airspace.

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

Yes part of 107 and it is in the questions on some of the tests. Never call a Control Tower, call the FSS if the airport has one, not all do! But if not call nearest airport that does
So calling the airport manager (AFD has the number) which I have done for years flying RC isn't acceptable anymore? Even works for military bases.

Thanks, one final clarification, when you guys say call, you're referring to phone call and not a radio, correct?

Thanks, one final clarification, when you guys say call, you're referring to phone call and not a radio, correct?

Yes Phone.
At least I am. there is some question as to the legality of using a hand held away from a full size aircraft.

It states in the amended 107 NOT TO CALL the Control Towers, they are busy enough with manned aircrafts. They even posted on the FAA site for 107 a email address link to request ahead of time to get permission to fly in your B.C,D and over lapping areas of E airspace. I call small airport owners will no CT's sometimes I get them, sometimes no, but in Class E and G I fly as long as I obey the rules and "have" tried to contact them!.

Radio's are not allowed to call CT's it states only to listen in to flight plans of aircrafts in you area to know where they are. Unless they state it is a emergency and you have a flyaway near the airport. It's all in Part 107!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio