Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery adapter for the Typhoon-H on the way

The day makers came up with the proprietary battery concept I knew consumers were/are getting screwed. For the price of a single Phantom battery you can buy almost a pair of Tattu batteries of greater capacity and much higher quality. There was no way for the buyer to establish cell quality and businesses ALWAYS use the cheapest product they can obtain in order to maximize mark up. So no, I do not believe we are being provided high quality batteries and it's quite likely one of the reasons for the 0.5C chargers is because the batteries will not tolerate repeated higher charge rate cycles. It's one of the reasons why I will not exceed a 1C charge rate with my Chroma or H batteries.

Another point with proprietary batteries and low C chargers has to do with who they are being sold to. The consumer drone market is pretty much an "any buyer" customer base, and the majority of them likely have zero experience with lithium ion batteries, chargers, cell monitoring equipment, and basic understanding of them. In selling to "anybody" the potential for disastrous residential fires caused by people lacking battery knowledge is pretty high. Consider the Hover Board debacle... So providing a system that protects the user from themselves has product liability benefits.

I agree I don't think it's so much about the companies screwing the consumers. It's more about dominating all aspects of their product on their end. Look at the props for example. You get locked into one option.

I believe a consumer is entitied to know everything they'd like to know about the product they paid for. Especially when it comes to lithium batteries. It's life or death deal having a defective cell and not knowing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wileytrigger21
A lifetime warranty is not location specific. They come from the knowledge the product is made with the best components and labor practices possible, regardless of location;)

Like the harbour freight lifetime warranty...quality at its finest! Who needs craftsman snap on and Mac tools?

True, but if the product is made well enough it doesn't have to be priced 25 times it's value to cover breakage. That's the problem with some of the high end tool vendors. With some of them their quality has fallen, Craftsman for instance, so the price is higher to offset replacements. Harbor Freight is great for a "to day" tool. Buy it to be used and broken today.

Reactions: Ralphy
this is an awesome idea. but can someone tell me what discharge rate battery i should get. I found some Turnigy 6600mah, 4s 60C and even cheaper Multistart 4s, 6600mah, but 20C on Hobby King. I know the higher discharge will give more power when needed and run cooler, but can the ESC handle it? The Multistart 20C would be safer for ESC, but could run hotter. Easy way to choose would be to get the discharge rate of the stock battery. I know it is 5400mah 4S but can't find discharge rate.

I think i just found my answer! this was a good video that helped me understand....higher capacity + lower C rating = longer flight time

this is an awesome idea. but can someone tell me what discharge rate battery i should get. I found some Turnigy 6600mah, 4s 60C and even cheaper Multistart 4s, 6600mah, but 20C on Hobby King. I know the higher discharge will give more power when needed and run cooler, but can the ESC handle it? The Multistart 20C would be safer for ESC, but could run hotter. Easy way to choose would be to get the discharge rate of the stock battery. I know it is 5400mah 4S but can't find discharge rate.

I've flown safely as low as 10c and as high as 20c ...we concluded 2 weeks ago temps and low discharge rates on the batteries were not an issue. Thanks and good luck, I've got cool new stuff in the works!

I've flown safely as low as 10c and as high as 20c ...we concluded 2 weeks ago temps and low discharge rates on the batteries were not an issue. Thanks and good luck, I've got cool new stuff in the works!
Awesome...care to give a hint as to what. I'm anxious to hurry and get the battery adapter and a couple of lipos but if it's something as cool as the adapters, I'll wait.

Come on guys who said you are obliged to by this adapter? When you think it's the wrong pricing, why don't you make your own? When you go to a pub, do you says the bartender" hey man, that is just water with some flavours and chemicals, I won't pay so much for that!! "
Wake up, I bought a battery adapter, not even a kit, and I am very pleased with that bit of "cheap" plastic.

Well said, Dirk. I have one of these adapters, testing and flying with it several days now, and I am pleased with the engineering and quality.

Reactions: QuadBart
I think i just found my answer! this was a good video that helped me understand....higher capacity + lower C rating = longer flight time

Without sounding too brunt, MS batteries suck. I'd tried several and while at first they seem to work well, the IR increases rapidly and voltage drop is huge. At best they are realistically 2c, not the 10c advertised. Absolutely do not run wide open throttle when battery levels approach 50%; you may find your copter mysteriously fall from the sky.

I still use them but only for putting around on lighter aircraft.

Without sounding too brunt, MS batteries suck. I'd tried several and while at first they seem to work well, the IR increases rapidly and voltage drop is huge. At best they are realistically 2c, not the 10c advertised. Absolutely do not run wide open throttle when battery levels approach 50%; you may find your copter mysteriously fall from the sky.

I still use them but only for putting around on lighter aircraft.
That's good to know, thank you.

So people are doing this to reduce 2 hours charging time? How is that too long :D
The charge adapters give you a couple things.
First you can charge the battery faster and monitor the different cells for ballance to see if you have a problem.
Second you can hook the batteries up and put them in storage mode if you are not flying your H for a few days. A lipo sitting at full charge for more than a day or 2 is a bad and makes the battery not last as long.
Third you can get more than 1 and charge more batteries at the same time. I can charge 4 batteries from storage to full charge in 1 hour.

Just a reminder...never leave a lipo battery sitting around for days or weeks at a time as this kills their capacity. I normally charge the day I'm flying or the night before and then if I do not use a battery I put it on the charger and put it in storage mode which is 3.80 volts per cell.

So people are doing this to reduce 2 hours charging time? How is that too long :D

More like 4 hours because most are charging on chargers that can charge multiple batteries at the same time,so in say just over an hour you can have 2 fresh batteries,also on a aftermarket charger you can keep an eye on the battery condition and how well the cells are balanced,all important things for battery lifespan

Reactions: JohnL
More like 4 hours because most are charging on chargers that can charge multiple batteries at the same time,so in say just over an hour you can have 2 fresh batteries,also on a aftermarket charger you can keep an eye on the battery condition and how well the cells are balanced,all important things for battery lifespan
Great minds think alike.

Reactions: JohnL
So Yuneecs stock-charger is not too good on balancing battery? So far I had no problems with levels, they have been nice 'n steady.

And yes, I know about lipo use and lifespans and etc, but I was just wondering about the time :D so actually people think that 2 hours is too much...

I actually would want to do this because I have couple of lipos which are about the same mAh, but half the size, so I could make one double-capacity battery to replace normal-yuneec-battery. Longer fly time is always nice :) should check first some C-values...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech