Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery adapter for the Typhoon-H on the way

I found this forum a couple days ago as I was searching for alternative power sources for my typhoon H.

Basically I'M modeling a case to 3d print and I've ordered some of the power dean t connectors to integrate into the 3d print and hook up a 4s lipo battery into it. The goal here is to produce a replacement battery compatible with the H that can potentially increase flight time and decrease charge time.

Does anyone want to collaborate on this? I'm developing the battery case in AutoCad a a two part assembly.

If this already exists let know. I'd also like to know if a battery like a multi star wih the following specs will keep the H in the air safely. I've read that the multistar discharge rate is pretty lame compared to the nano tech.

It's 63 bucks
Specs:
Minimum Capacity: 5200mAh
Configuration: 4S1P / 14.8V / 4Cell
Constant Discharge: 10C
Peak Discharge (10sec): 20C
Pack Weight: 433g
Pack Size: 142 x 49 x 29mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: XT60

Attachments

• 20160622_230527-1.jpg
    20160622_230527-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Reactions: banned user
That battery isn't big enough mah wise as the stock battery is roughly 6400mah in fact. I would look for 15c 6000mah and be lighter than the stock setup to get some time back, forget nanotech batts, not very good. Normal blue turnigy packs are ideal. You need 6000mah ish really but they are heavy so look at rhino too, usually lighter as only 20c or so.

I do not know amp draw but could work it out after i do a full timed flight and charge.

The multistar batt you quote is only capable of 52amps continuous which you could probably hit when you punch it. Granted it can spike more so it would probably work but I would seek better options first. If you look at the stock esc size that will perhaps give you a clue mean time.

If I could help I would but don't do design nor 3d printer parts. I could look at batt options if you want though if you are unsure of lipos?

Last edited:
Well I really appreciate your insight it exactly the help I was looking for. I'm pretty good at 3d modeling, design, fabrication and adhesive applications. But I really could use the guidance in the lipo area.

Hmm the stock battery for the H says 5200 mah on the stucker and you say it'sover 6000mah??

There are maximum dimensions I need to stay within 49mm and 42mm but it can be long it will stick out the back. I will double check those numbers

Thanks

QUOTE="raptorheli2, post: 23836, member: 2421"]That battery isn't big enough mah wise as the stock battery is roughly 6400mah in fact. I would look for 15c 6000mah and be lighter than the stock setup to get some time back, forget nanotech batts, not very good. Normal blue turnigy packs are ideal. You need 6000mah ish really but they are heavy so look at rhino too, usually lighter as only 20c or so.

I do not know amp draw but could work it out after i do a full timed flight and charge.

The multistar batt you quote is only capable of 52amps continuous which you could probably hit when you punch it. Granted it can spike more so it would probably work but I would seek better options first. If you look at the stock esc size that will perhaps give you a clue mean time.

If I could help I would but don't do design nor 3d printer parts. I could look at batt options if you want though if you are unsure of lipos?[/QUOTE]

Well I really appreciate your insight it exactly the help I was looking for. I'm pretty good at 3d modeling, design, fabrication and adhesive applications. But I really could use the guidance in the lipo area.

Hmm the stock battery for the H says 5200 mah on the stucker and you say it'sover 6000mah??

There are maximum dimensions I need to stay within 49mm and 42mm but it can be long it will stick out the back. I will double check those numbers

Thanks

QUOTE="raptorheli2, post: 23836, member: 2421"]That battery isn't big enough mah wise as the stock battery is roughly 6400mah in fact. I would look for 15c 6000mah and be lighter than the stock setup to get some time back, forget nanotech batts, not very good. Normal blue turnigy packs are ideal. You need 6000mah ish really but they are heavy so look at rhino too, usually lighter as only 20c or so.

If I could help I would but don't do design nor 3d printer parts. I could look at batt options if you want though if you are unsure of lipos?
[/QUOTE]

If you design long to stick out the back be aware of that craft is balanced with the COG at the centre. To see just balance the central spars on some parallel bars. Changing the COG forward or back would be bad on many levels.

Reactions: Ralphy
I found this forum a couple days ago as I was searching for alternative power sources for my typhoon H.

Basically I'M modeling a case to 3d print and I've ordered some of the power dean t connectors to integrate into the 3d print and hook up a 4s lipo battery into it. The goal here is to produce a replacement battery compatible with the H that can potentially increase flight time and decrease charge time.

Does anyone want to collaborate on this? I'm developing the battery case in AutoCad a a two part assembly.

If this already exists let know. I'd also like to know if a battery like a multi star wih the following specs will keep the H in the air safely. I've read that the multistar discharge rate is pretty lame compared to the nano tech.

It's 63 bucks
Specs:
Minimum Capacity: 5200mAh
Configuration: 4S1P / 14.8V / 4Cell
Constant Discharge: 10C
Peak Discharge (10sec): 20C
Pack Weight: 433g
Pack Size: 142 x 49 x 29mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: XT60
LOL! I bought 2 of those same MS batteries for $20 each just a few months ago. They aren't underrated so 5200 is what you get, with maybe 100 mah extra capacity. Personally I won't use them on my better machines; high voltage drop and they degrade fairly quickly over time.

A battery that will fit is a Turnigy graphene 6.6A 15c 4s. It weights ~30g more than the Yuneec battery. They are good batteries with low voltage drop. The problem is the width is about the same as the width of the battery opening so a frame won't fit on the sides. The height is fine. The length is too long, but I see no reason it can't be made to work.

The adapter would have to be made to allow insertion without side supports of the frame. The end would need to be designed to allow securing the 10mm or so sticking out the back.

So far I haven't found any other batteries that have a higher capacity than OEM that will fit in the cavity.

I have all the dimensions of the Yuneec frame if you want them. I just haven't had the time to work on the design; work plus trying to master the H has been priority.

P.S. I would use the Yuneec charger base connectors as a jig (epoxy the adapter while pressed on to the charger connectors) to ensure proper alignment of the connectors. I actually see no need for an entire frame to be built around the battery.

Thanks, It was just going to be a little under an 1".

If you design long to stick out the back be aware of that craft is balanced with the COG at the centre. To see just balance the central spars on some parallel bars. Changing the COG forward or back would be bad on many levels.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: banned user
Ok yeah the case can be done with no sides ....i was refering that the 5200 on the original Yuneecbattery is underated if it'sactually over 6000 as the other member states.

As far as charging I was going to simulate the make end of the charger to insert into ythemain positive and negative leads. Then the little dongle white balance connector for the cells can plug right into the aftermarket lipo charger.

The original slow charger will only be used with the original battery.

How much is that battery you say would work?

And if i send you the battery case i design would you be able to integrate that battery and solder it and test it?

Yes I could test and print it if the file is available. I have not yet cut the battery apart. The cost is $60. The MS 5200 at $63 is a ripoff.

As a Ralphy says cog could be an issue but I've seen battery weight biased to one side/end to the other. I'll check that tonight. I don't think it will be that big of a deal though and can be easily remedied.

Ok yeah the case can be done with no sides ....i was refering that the 5200 on the original Yuneecbattery is underated if it's actually over 6000 as the other member states.

As far as charging I was going to simulate the make end of the charger to insert into ythemain positive and negative leads. Then the little dongle white balance connector for the cells can plug right into the aftermarket lipo charger.

The original slow charger will only be used with the original battery.

How much is that battery you say would work?

And if i send you the battery case i design would you be able to integrate that battery and solder it and test it?

Screenshot_2016-06-23-23-29-38-1.png At 30 dollars and with some weight savings will this be a realistic option to achieve good flight performance?

It's alive!
Nicely done!!!
What kind of program is this?
I will try to draw it in SolidWorks for my 5400mAh hour batteries left over from my "old" quad.
Hope can share them soon, so anybody with SolidWorks can change things to their desire.

Andy

Andy,

It's not solid works its AutoCad. Similar program for 3d modeling. It's been taking more time than I thought due to modifications and printer calibration issues to arrive at something that aactually works. Id like to offer the final product for free to those that have helped and eventually produce the physical shell as a low cost option for anyone interested in helping out in the continued development of alternative power solutions for the H. I thought about $25 for the full shell that will be adaptable to almost any battery out there.

Thoughts ?

Thanks Ralphy, you're on the right track.

The Turnigy 5.0 is actually longer than the Graphene 6.6; 147mm vs 144mm. A solution is needed to lock the battery at the opening. It doesn't need to fancy, just functional. I'm definitely going with the Turnigy graphene as a first trial. The voltage drop is extremely low and the c rating is much closer to reality than say the MS series.

I only have Solid Works at work but have been swamped with work so not much time for doing this. Ralphy's approach is what I had in mind except that it may need to wrap further into the battery so it can be secured with strong adhesive. My only worry is repeated loading/unloading may degrade the battery wrapping. The Graphene looks to be heavy heat shrink.

To align the adapter to the connectors inside the H, I planned to use plastic risers. That would negate the need for making a full frame and precise adapter height from the bottom of the battery.

Ralphy, if you get a working prototype and have a STL file, if you are willing, post it or PM me and I'll modify to fit the battery I'd like to try. Again though, securing the part that sticks out needs to be solved.

vU3sTmc.png

tYNfcDW.png

mah/gram
Turnigy Graphene 6.6: 10.91
Turnigy standard 5.0: 9.06

I believe the Yuneec battery is lower than 15c just by watching the voltage drop; could be wrong and haven't run any bench tests, just a gut feeling.

The Turnigy 5.0 is actually longer than the Graphene 6.6; 147mm vs 144mm. A solution is needed to lock the battery at the opening. It doesn't need to fancy, just functional. I'm definitely going with the Turnigy graphene as a first trial. The voltage drop is extremely low and the c rating is much closer to reality than say the MS series.

I only have Solid Works at work but have been swamped with work so not much time for doing this. Ralphy's approach is what I had in mind except that it may need to wrap further into the battery so it can be secured with strong adhesive. My only worry is repeated loading/unloading may degrade the battery wrapping. The Graphene looks to be heavy heat shrink.

To align the adapter to the connectors inside the H, I planned to use plastic risers. That would negate the need for making a full frame and precise adapter height from the bottom of the battery.

Ralphy, if you get a working prototype and have a STL file, if you are willing, post it or PM me and I'll modify to fit the battery I'd like to try. Again though, securing the part that sticks out needs to be solved.

vU3sTmc.png

tYNfcDW.png

mah/gram

I believe the Yuneec battery is lower than 15c just by watching the voltage drop; could be wrong and haven't run any bench tests, just a gut feeling.
Don't forget in the bench tests to account for the 70kmph that only works in follow me mode. Maybe you'll have to throw the H in one car and the measuring equipment in another and go play chase?
Friking amazing the other night in crosswinds to have the thing follow me home from the beach at 60-80kmph.

Nice but has anyone found out what pins will have to be connected with what cables?

The part you see 3d printed is just the front ultra thin for the purposes of fitting. Eventually the design will run all the way back obviously sticking out about 1/2" past the end of the copter. The securing part is simple. The top and bottom of the design will be solid 2mm plastic. The top will have a hump similar to a speed bump on the road. The hump will force the entire assembly to remain in place when it reaches the void on the copter tray. I'm also counting on the snug fitment of the front pins to maintain it secured. The speed of 80kph they mentioned won't be a problem unless you smack something at that speed.

The pin outs are figured out for the purposes of charging the new protype with a traditional lipo charger. PM me and I'll send the stl file glider. Today I'll make more progress on the fitment.

One concern, do you think a case made out of pla plastic will warp with the battery temps?

Thanks for the input guys, have a good friday.

vU3sTmc.png

tYNfcDW.png

mah/gram

The part you see 3d printed is just the front ultra thin for the purposes of fitting. Eventually the design will run all the way back obviously sticking out about 1/2" past the end of the copter. The securing part is simple. The top and bottom of the design will be solid 2mm plastic. The top will have a hump similar to a speed bump on the road. The hump will force the entire assembly to remain in place when it reaches the void on the copter tray. I'm also counting on the snug fitment of the front pins to maintain it secured. The speed of 80kph they mentioned won't be a problem unless you smack something at that speed.

The pin outs are figured out for the purposes of charging the new protype with a traditional lipo charger. PM me and I'll send the stl file glider. Today I'll make more progress on the fitment.

One concern, do you think a case made out of pla plastic will warp with the battery temps?

Thanks for the input guys, have a good friday.

I do not think you will have heat issue with the plastic no.

I will have a look at lipos this weekend, will be something usable i am sure to add to the list.

The one above glider posted looks good though.

Last edited:
Some other options in no paricular order, some more expensive than others.

Gens ace 6000mAh 14.8V 35C 4S1P Lipo Battery

Glacier 30C 6000mAh 4S 14.8V LiPo Battery (maybe a bit long but good in other aspects)

ZIPPY Compact 5800mAh 4S 25C Lipo Pack

ZIPPY Compact 6200mAh 4s 40c Lipo Pack ( this looks decent option but maybe too long?)

Multistar High Capacity 4S 6600mAh Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack ( would need to check amp draw before commiting to these but i suspect would be okay. not the best, but is light)

For the record again, advertised C ratings are not worth the label they are printed on.

As a guide, 15 min flight and 6000mah back into the battery would be 24amp average draw for the flight.

Has anyone done a timed flight and has the numbers?

Btw, nice work glider and ralphy.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nubestpremiumsupplements