Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

Battery charging.

Discussion in 'Q500 4K Discussion' started by mark walter, Feb 1, 2016.

1. mark walter

Having trouble charging both batteries. As soon as I plug them in the batteries won't stop balancing. Been over an hour now

2. Sticks

The Yuneec charger is only a 3amp charger. My aftermarket 5amp charger takes an hour and a quarter to put a charge on them, and that is from storage state (60%), not drained.

Keep checking on it, keep an eye on the battery temp - if it's too hot to hold comfortably, there's a problem, unhook it.

DO NOT LEAVE A CHARGING BATTERY UNATTENDED!

Google LiPo battery care.

ETA- the chargers are constantly "Balancing" - maintaining equal voltage in all 3 cells. Depending on the age and use of your batteries, you may have a problem/dead cell. More info needed.

#2 Sticks, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  3. mark walter

Thanks for the info.the battery and charger are staying cool. I'll just keep an eye on it.

4. Sticks

AAAAhhhhh....if it's been going at it since last night, you have a problem.

Please tell us you unplugged last night it and are trying again.

5. mark walter

Oh no I didn't have it charging all night. Maybe a couple hours. It won't charge it just goes right onto balancing. Was one battery now both. I'm gonna unplug it now it's been on for 3 hours . Think I should try to drain the battery as much as as I can and charge again?

6. Sticks

I'd try checking your connections, and all the little pins inside.

If it's both batteries now, that kind of points to either the charger or the charging cable. Not sure how many of each that you have.

Do not over drain the battery. Will cause damage and shorten the life cycle of the battery. That is why the Q500 will want to land at around 10.6v, and forces a landing at 10.4v(?)

Might be time to spend the money on an after market charger, or at the very least, a battery checker

Amazon.com: Tenergy TB6AC+80W 8A Intelligent Digital Balance Charger for NiMH NiCd Li-PO Li-Fe SLA: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Integy RC Hobby C23212 LiPo Voltage Checker + Warning Buzzer: Toys & Games

7. mark walter

8. mark walter

Not sure why i didn't check the fuse. Called the company and they said it was Probly the fuse and it was. Glad it's an easy fix.

9. Sticks

Facepalm

Well now we know. I assumed if the fuse was blown, that it would not even power up. It occurred to me to inquire, but noooo, it was turning on.

Now to find out why the fuse blew. Sometimes they just blow. Usually there is a reason other than the gods did not want you to charge your battery.

10. mark walter

I didn't even think of the fuse for the same reason. I didn't think it would power up. Glad I called.

Fleamac likes this.
  11. NRRTRAINS

hi
    yes the fuse on the stock Yuneec charger is not what we think is suppose to do , stop it completely , Yuneec should put a message on what to expect when the fuse blows , if the charger blows a fuse there has to be a reason why it blew the fuse in the first place . like everybody that has the this problem the charger shows it's working but as we all know it's not .
    this is one good reason to upgrade to a better charger . keep the stock charger for an emergency or a paper weight .
    fly safe

12. mark walter

Will do. Thanks

13. Ed Hahn

I upgraded to the HITEC X-4 you can do four batteries at one time
    in about 1 hour 15 min.

Ddraiggoch likes this.
  14. NRRTRAINS

yes the Hitec X4 is one great charger one of the best .
    fly safe

Ddraiggoch likes this.
  15. corvettedave96

The fuse will blow if you accidently try to put the plug to the battery upside down. This will happen immediately. If the fuse is good, only the red charging light (blinking) should be on. If the charger goes straight to the balance mode (green light blinking, also) the fuse is blown.

16. elgringorojo

Hello,
    I believe my fuse is blown after reading through all of this. Do you know if it is simply a "7.5 fuse". Sorry for the dumb question. I am out of the country and do not know what to ask for here.

I am going to a really cool island tomorrow, and do not have any charge in either battery...

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!