Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery issues after three months

I have started looking into a better system after reading up on the LiPo batteries. I found this mod on youtube looks easy enough so I may just try it. However after reading the comments appears it disables the 5v USB port needed to charge the ST16.

I can confirm that that mod does not disable the 5 volt output, I modded my Yuneec charger as a stop gap until the battery connectors were available, and you can still plug the AC transformer into the charger and charge your ST16, but leave the battery leads disconnected.

Sorry, should have specified Multistar has two different 8000mah batteries....a LIHV and regular version LiPo. The recommended battery is the Turnigy 6600mah which is 144x51x41mm, the Multistar 4s 8000mah is 142x49x43mm.

Z

I've been flying my H since late May, excluding a month or so down for camera repairs, and now I'm noticing a significant drop off in battery flight time. My two original batteries drop so fast now. They are pretty much done after about 12 minutes. I would estimate I have 70-80 flights on each battery. My other batteries are newer and are still good for 15-16 minutes, which still isn't that great. I really like 20 minute flights and was hoping for that from the H. Twelve minutes just isn't cutting it. And now flying with the Skyview goggles, time goes by so much faster. Twelve minutes feels like about five. We need a higher mah battery!

I use Ralphy's battery tray with a Multistar 8000 battery pack. Requires a bit of soldering and engineering with T connectors, but works great once complete. See this link:

So far, I get around 22 minutes. For now, that seems more than adequate for any flying I've done in the past 3 months, but I do plan to get the 8000 LiHV pack as soon as I can get my hands on one, which according to the link supplied should get you closer to 30 minutes flight time.

Reactions: David Wilson
Hey Guys,

I was looking at the current offered packs for the H which I have and wondering......why cant the H battery holders be used after the battery as spoke of at the start of this thread are expended. You can see these holders were installed around the battery to create this odd exclusive to model design. Just a thought.

I do have a real serious question on this subject though..... with the current charging system how do you check each cell for IR or pack for IR on this battery? I watched the conversion on the battery charger video but short of doing this mod is there anyway to check IR on this battery since no conventional balance points?

Cheers

Batfire

Reactions: Ralphy
Hey Guys,

I was looking at the current offered packs for the H which I have and wondering......why cant the H battery holders be used after the battery as spoke of at the start of this thread are expended. You can see these holders were installed around the battery to create this odd exclusive to model design. Just a thought.

I do have a real serious question on this subject though..... with the current charging system how do you check each cell for IR or pack for IR on this battery? I watched the conversion on the battery charger video but short of doing this mod is there anyway to check IR on this battery since no conventional balance points?

Cheers

Batfire

Quadcam battery connector adapters + Hitek x2 (or similar) charger. This allows you to keep an eye on individual cells and record how much you put back in after a flight.

QuadCam

Thanks
JCFlippen

Curious where is QuadCam located? I went ahead and grabbed the connector. Thank you for the heads up on this, just what I needed. I have the Hitec X2 and love it. Did not care for the other item since it sticks out back of copter. Once I have a dead pack I am going to disassemble and see if I can use the original battery holder for a new pack. I think it will work but time will tell. If so then nice reusable holders.

Cheers

Batfire

Last edited:
since it is called www.quadcam.CH we're located in Switzerland :)

Andi

in terms of shipping time it is almost china when you would order economy shipping. However I disabled this option 4 weeks ago so now its more like 1 to 1.5 weeks

Andy

How did a factory battery die so young?

Let me know what you need, trays have always been $35 dollars shipped as a DIY kit for all members

I've been looking at getting one of those battery trays for $54 and an 8000mah battery for $65. It's supposed to fly just under 30 minutes.

They have some on thingiverse and I can also sell you the DIY kit , if you want it soldered and epoxied it's 30 more.

I have started looking into a better system after reading up on the LiPo batteries. I found this mod on youtube looks easy enough so I may just try it. However after reading the comments appears it disables the 5v USB port needed to charge the ST16.

I modded mine and I could still use the USB port to charge my ST16 battery.

I've been flying my H since late May, excluding a month or so down for camera repairs, and now I'm noticing a significant drop off in battery flight time. My two original batteries drop so fast now. They are pretty much done after about 12 minutes. I would estimate I have 70-80 flights on each battery. My other batteries are newer and are still good for 15-16 minutes, which still isn't that great. I really like 20 minute flights and was hoping for that from the H. Twelve minutes just isn't cutting it. And now flying with the Skyview goggles, time goes by so much faster. Twelve minutes feels like about five. We need a higher mah battery!

Much too much not mentioned in the OP's message to glean much useful info from. 70-80 flights would be about normal for a battery that was continually rapidly discharged from high speed flying, discharged to minimal voltage levels, and/or re-charged while still hot from the last use cycle. We don't know what we don't know. Off topic but not that long ago it was a great day to obtain 10 minutes of flight time on large, pro level heavy lift camera rigs. A normal flight had you looking to land at 8 minutes.

Much too much not mentioned in the OP's message to glean much useful info from. 70-80 flights would be about normal for a battery that was continually rapidly discharged from high speed flying, discharged to minimal voltage levels, and/or re-charged while still hot from the last use cycle. We don't know what we don't know. Off topic but not that long ago it was a great day to obtain 10 minutes of flight time on large, pro level heavy lift camera rigs. A normal flight had you looking to land at 8 minutes.

I've done over 120 flights on the setup I designed with graphene and multistar batteries and still perform great with the tray. Can't we recognize the factory batteries are good enough to run limited cycles for the average consumer until you basically can't claim replacement or refund via credit card company .

Now on the topic of battery cycling ask Mr nonfear how well the factory batteries held up in a weekend of cycling over a 100 times vs a name brand lipo like he used on my tray.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimal khan