Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Beware when using the wizard

Reaction score
I recently started using the wizard and impressed how clever it is and how well it worked.

But unfortunately it cost me the price of a camera unit, so want to make users aware of what happened to me.

I was using the point to fly feature and had already moved it to one point in the sky showing a friend how it worked, I then turned to point in another direction, my friend said "watch its coming down" I turned and seen it fall the last six feet, motors were stopped and gear up onto a hard surface smashing the camera to bits !

At the time I had no idea what happened and why it just fell, afterwards I came to the conclusion if it was not a fault with the Typhoon H then it must have been me.
when I turned I must have moved my hand/finger back and ended up pressing the motor stop/start button instead of the wizard button !!

To stop the motors you have to press and hold for about three seconds, to activate the point to fly you have to press and hold the wizard button for a similar time waiting for the confirmation vibration before you release.
This also confirms I must of pressed the stop/start as I dont remember getting the vibration and the H never made any attempt to move from its previous location.

It may seem stupid or how could you press wrong button, I cant figure that out either, but can see how it was possible, especially with arm out stretched and not really looking at wizard.

I sent it back to Yuneec to clarify, and they couldnot find a fault with H or the wizard, confirming I must of pressed the start stop button in flight hence stopping the motors and it falling to the ground costing me the price of a new camera/gimbal !

Personally I don't think you should be able to stop the motors in flight especially when using the wizard, on the ST16 you have no reason to go for the button, but its different on the wizard, as there are lots of buttons you are required to press and how many times have you pressed the wrong button on your tv remote ?

It was a freak, If I was using any other feature on the wizard other that the point to fly, it would not of happened, as it is the only one you are required to hold the button down for a time like the motor stop/start button.

I have suggested to Yuneec that on a future update they incorporate into the wizard that you cant stop the motors in flight, as it will happen again to someone else.

Reactions: Subtle Shots
That's good to know. I am a moron for dumbness. I had my Typhoon H accidentally on Smart ( dangerous ) mode and walked it into a building.

I believe, for safety reasons, there needs to be a kill switch on such drones. If it goes out of control and you need to stop it from harming someone (or yourself) the motor kill switch is there.

I do agree that the wizard controller should have the engine start stop button require the use of two hands (i.e., have to press two buttons vice one) so it isn't mistakenly pressed.

Reactions: Lenny Woj
The magic button and motor arm button are well separated. Both need to be held down to operate, seems unlikely but it is possible you confused the two buttons.

I fly a lot with the Wizard and recently had the motors shut down when I put the retracts down. The motors shut off and fortunately my H dropped into a bush. I instinctively gave it throttle and the motors powered back up but as soon as I went to mid stick it dropped again. I installed external antennas on the H and it has not happened again.

Here's the video.

I fly a lot with the Wizard and recently had the motors shut down when I put the retracts down. The motors shut off and fortunately my H dropped into a bush. I instinctively gave it throttle and the motors powered back up but as soon as I went to mid stick it dropped again. I installed external antennas on the H and it has not happened again.

How far away was it? I have noticed the Wizard control range is much less than the ST16s. I only use it for Watch and Follow Me. Darn thing won't even turn on my TV.

Maybe 30 feet away. I actuality have many hours of Follow using the Wizard, I'm not convinced it was just a Wizard thing. My H started acting odd even with the ST16 so I sent it in and was told the GPS module was bad.

I'll still use my Wizard it's the best method to follow with dynamic altitude.

pressing and holding two buttons would be a good way of preventing it happening again

The wizard in theory seems like an incredible tool. I have yet to use it; the multiple combinations of buttons to push for different tasks and the definition of the indicator light colors and flashes seems daunting to keep straight while trying to keep the craft in the air. It's like a watch with two buttons to set 50 different functions depending on the way the buttons are pressed.

The wizard in theory seems like an incredible tool. I have yet to use it; the multiple combinations of buttons to push for different tasks and the definition of the indicator light colors and flashes seems daunting to keep straight while trying to keep the craft in the air. It's like a watch with two buttons to set 50 different functions depending on the way the buttons are pressed.
It is really good and really clever and easy to use, you just have to be more careful than I was.
You want to watch the video on it from Daniel Yuneec uk

I would have no problem using it again

The Wizard has some advantages over the ST16 in Follow modes. One it's small, two it has an internal barometer for dynamic altitude, three I don't worry about dirt and dust on the trail like I do with the ST16 and I can easily control the H with one hand while driving off road where the ST16 is bulky.

It took a while to figure out the button presses especially the two button presses where one has to lead. I did a couple videos on the Wizard and after a while it gets somewhat intuative.

Reactions: Rayray
Well gentlemen, I had a FLY AWAY using the Wizzard a month ago, I now have the replacement combo & I have a wizzard FOR SALE !!!
Brand New

I recently started using the wizard and impressed how clever it is and how well it worked.

But unfortunately it cost me the price of a camera unit, so want to make users aware of what happened to me.

I was using the point to fly feature and had already moved it to one point in the sky showing a friend how it worked, I then turned to point in another direction, my friend said "watch its coming down" I turned and seen it fall the last six feet, motors were stopped and gear up onto a hard surface smashing the camera to bits !

At the time I had no idea what happened and why it just fell, afterwards I came to the conclusion if it was not a fault with the Typhoon H then it must have been me.
when I turned I must have moved my hand/finger back and ended up pressing the motor stop/start button instead of the wizard button !!

To stop the motors you have to press and hold for about three seconds, to activate the point to fly you have to press and hold the wizard button for a similar time waiting for the confirmation vibration before you release.
This also confirms I must of pressed the stop/start as I dont remember getting the vibration and the H never made any attempt to move from its previous location.

It may seem stupid or how could you press wrong button, I cant figure that out either, but can see how it was possible, especially with arm out stretched and not really looking at wizard.

I sent it back to Yuneec to clarify, and they couldnot find a fault with H or the wizard, confirming I must of pressed the start stop button in flight hence stopping the motors and it falling to the ground costing me the price of a new camera/gimbal !

Personally I don't think you should be able to stop the motors in flight especially when using the wizard, on the ST16 you have no reason to go for the button, but its different on the wizard, as there are lots of buttons you are required to press and how many times have you pressed the wrong button on your tv remote ?

It was a freak, If I was using any other feature on the wizard other that the point to fly, it would not of happened, as it is the only one you are required to hold the button down for a time like the motor stop/start button.

I have suggested to Yuneec that on a future update they incorporate into the wizard that you cant stop the motors in flight, as it will happen again to someone else.
How much was the replacement ??

The ONLY two crashes were both with the wizard. So I'm not really big on that yet. I was trying to learn it so I could do a follow me while filming but have become apprehensive. The second time I've sent all the gear to Yuneec to have the electronics diagnostic service run on it. Otherwise - its been a great flying aircraft when I'm controlling it.

This is where the Wizard works best for me, follow shot's like this. You will notice on steep trails the H holds altitude AGL. The last shot is a P4 notice how it maintains altitude as the trail drops.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss