Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Here is a good example to answer your question. I've been a hobby photographer for 15 years now. I started to use Drones in my photography a few years ago. My eyes spot camera issues easily where others would never notice. I have 3 DJI Phantoms that have spot on cameras which I use in conjunction with land DSLR cameras (ground & air photography combined). I can't use my Typhoon H in this area because the camera has a defect. I can minimize the defect by adjusting the lighting (the less light, the less blur). The camera on my Typhoon also has a color problem in that sometimes pictures will lose all color.

I was out filming tonight. The Typhoon H will struggle with bright sunlight if the camera settings are not adjusted. In evening light, it does a better job and the shadows from the setting sun will cause contrast and make the pictures or video look a touch sharper. Below is a snapshot from my video. To the average eye it looks great because subjects in the centre are in focus. But in reality only 3/4 of the frame is in focus and it gets worse as your eyes move to the top left... it is slightly stretched and very much blurred. It becomes worse when subjects are close, or the subject is moving on the left. The center and right side are fine. This is caused by a slight lens defect in manufacturing. So the mid to upper left blurriness along with the color issues means this camera is going back to Yuneec. If I was just some hobby drone guy flying around for fun, I could live with it, but since my DJI Phantoms have no problem getting it right, then I know the Typhoon Camera can also get it right as well.
View attachment 1341
Yes, what you described is happening to my entire frame. I am wondering whether to take a risk on another Typhoon H or just get a Phantom 3 and call it a day. I shoot video professionally (not aerials of course) and the camera being this inconsistent is not something that I can live with, especially after dropping all that money on the Typhoon H. Both Phantom and Typhoon are amazing machines for flying but it seems that the cameras are almost an after thought. Or maybe I just got a bad camera twice with two separate manufacturers. In any case I appreciate your lengthy response and effort to help me make up my mind.

Yes, what you described is happening to my entire frame. I am wondering whether to take a risk on another Typhoon H or just get a Phantom 3 and call it a day. I shoot video professionally (not aerials of course) and the camera being this inconsistent is not something that I can live with, especially after dropping all that money on the Typhoon H. Both Phantom and Typhoon are amazing machines for flying but it seems that the cameras are almost an after thought. Or maybe I just got a bad camera twice with two separate manufacturers. In any case I appreciate your lengthy response and effort to help me make up my mind.
Unfortunately it is a bit of a gamble when it comes to drones and cameras. They are not all the same. My First Typhoon Camera had an outstanding image except for the fact that every segment of video had white and blue dots running through it. All I need is a camera with a picture quality like it had, without the blue and white dots, and I'll be happy!

I just grabbed a snapshot from a video taken with one of my DJI Phantom 3's. I lucked in and received a really good camera on this model. Notice that everything in the frame, near and far, is in focus. In addition, notice how leaves on trees are handled... a bit different than how they appear on some of the Typhoon cameras. My first Typhoon H camera was able to take just as nice videos, so I know it can be done. My Camera should be going back this week.

PHANTOM3.jpg

My focus is slightly off also on the entire picture compared to my Phantom.

Has anyone taken the camera apart and adjust the focus lens.
I understand that Yuneec glued the lens in but after removing the glue
we should be able to turn the lens for better focus.

Here is a good example to answer your question. I've been a hobby photographer for 15 years now. I started to use Drones in my photography a few years ago. My eyes spot camera issues easily where others would never notice. I have 3 DJI Phantoms that have spot on cameras which I use in conjunction with land DSLR cameras (ground & air photography combined). I can't use my Typhoon H in this area because the camera has a defect. I can minimize the defect by adjusting the lighting (the less light, the less blur). The camera on my Typhoon also has a color problem in that sometimes pictures will lose all color.

I was out filming tonight. The Typhoon H will struggle with bright sunlight if the camera settings are not adjusted. In evening light, it does a better job and the shadows from the setting sun will cause contrast and make the pictures or video look a touch sharper. Below is a snapshot from my video. To the average eye it looks great because subjects in the centre are in focus. But in reality only 3/4 of the frame is in focus and it gets worse as your eyes move to the top left... it is slightly stretched and very much blurred. It becomes worse when subjects are close, or the subject is moving on the left. The center and right side are fine. This is caused by a slight lens defect in manufacturing. So the mid to upper left blurriness along with the color issues means this camera is going back to Yuneec. If I was just some hobby drone guy flying around for fun, I could live with it, but since my DJI Phantoms have no problem getting it right, then I know the Typhoon Camera can also get it right as well.
View attachment 1341
I'd hate to take this out
My focus is slightly off also on the entire picture compared to my Phantom.

Has anyone taken the camera apart and adjust the focus lens.
I understand that Yuneec glued the lens in but after removing the glue
we should be able to turn the lens for better focus.
Might as well return it and take a chance on another camera. You void the warranty once you take apart the lens. Why take the risk?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval