Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Boom!

Trying to decide if I should renew my private pilot license and go that route, or just for for the full blown Part 107. Either way will cost bucks. But then renewing I could get to fly again some.

Go for the flight review!
1. More fun than taking a written test at a test center
2. You will be current to fly again
3. You get to fly for your review!
4. The online test is much easier
5. You will take the online course/test in the comfort of your own home

Pilots certificates never expire and flying is a blast.

Mike

I hold multi commercial but I'm not current. It's a whole lot cheaper to take the aeronautical test than regain currency. Much, much cheaper.

Go for the flight review!
1. More fun than taking a written test at a test center
2. You will be current to fly again
3. You get to fly for your review!
4. The online test is much easier
5. You will take the online course/test in the comfort of your own home

Pilots certificates never expire and flying is a blast.

Mike

Mike,

I really have no intention of flying a manned aircraft again. After achieving flight instructor status in 1993 I found the best way to starve to death was by becoming a flight instructor. I am also a previous aircraft owner and lacking a business reason to fly that offsets the costs of flying full scale it became just too expensive to fly. Manned aviation is for the wealthy or for those that haven't yet learned what it costs them, or for those that can recover their costs though increased business opportunities. However, a great many pilot opportunities are open, and will be opening up over the next couple years so those with the interest and the means should take a look at what it takes to become a pilot. It can be a rewarding career,and a two year degree will make it even more so.

Having become employed in the military unmanned aircraft industry in 2005 I've found my earning capacity is vastly higher than any entry level commercial pilot and generally higher than most 10 year veterans of commercial passenger aviation. My last medical (2nd class) expired in 2012 and unless the House passes the General Aviation Reform Act I can't think of any reason to climb into the left seat again. After achieving ASMEL, instrument airplane, ground and flight instructor, basic, along with passing the B727 FEX written test, I've done about all the manned stuff I want to do. Not counting the Cessna I figure I've spent well over $60K in year 1990 dollars the process. That's enough. On a positive note, all the previous modeling and full scale piloting helped immensely in qualifying for military contractor unmanned operations. The unmanned experience, combined with the hobby flight activities, has opened other doors.

Having misplaced my certificates (I have 3) about 8 months ago I requested copies of them, with the mandatory submission of a photograph, from the FAA a couple days ago. I passed the FAA's sUAS test in early June so half of this is already out of the way. Doing what I do for a living, I have no concerns about the back ground security check.

I truly appreciate you posting those links, one of them answered a question I was researching relative to aircraft registration. It's a relief to learn the registration many of us did for our hobby level models will also extend to and is found acceptable to commercial sUAS under 55lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_Flys
Half way there :) My brain hurts ...

Congratulations Brian.

Did mine on the 20th of July and immediately after made inquiries about the UAS Part 107 test.
Mainly to determine the cost.
Discovered, as you said, $150 .... Blimey!!!

I recall that when I wanted my drivers license in the UK I set my test date and then went to and instructor and told him "I have a driving test in 7 days, can you take me out once a day this week and have me ready?"
I passed :)

So, thinking about this and learning that the spots were filling up very fast I went ahead and set a date (Aug 29th was not available) for the 30th.

Started researching, self teaching and studying the material .... determined to be ready but becoming increasingly afraid I won't be .... and was horrified at what I didn't know!!!!

Very pleased at what I have learned so far, weak on charts and weather but chuffed (proud) at my understanding of METARS :)

Just over a week to go and beginning to stress sigh.

Wish me luck.

I will let you all know how I do.

Congratulations Brian.

Did mine on the 20th of July and immediately after made inquiries about the UAS Part 107 test.

I recall that when I wanted my drivers license in the UK I set my test date and then went to and instructor and told him "I have a driving test in 7 days, can you take me out once a day this week and have me ready?"

So, thinking about this and learning that the spots were filling up very fast I went ahead and set a date (Aug 29th was not available) for the 30th.

Started researching, self teaching and studying the material .... determined to be ready but becoming increasingly afraid I won't be .... and was horrified at what I didn't know!!!!

Very pleased at what I have learned so far, weak on charts and weather but chuffed (proud) at my understanding of METARS :)

Wish me luck.

Good Luck at ya! :)

For everyone that wants to become a UAS Professional Operator there are some things you should consider. I certainly thought about it. It all sounds cool but...... Once you become licensed you are no longer a hobbyist. You will be held to a higher degree of standards. Which is not a bad thing but the law is going to come down a lot harder on a licensed UAS Operator than some dumb hobbyist that did something stupid. As a Hobbyist my homeowners insurance covers me in the event I do any harm to anyone or anything and that is backed up by my AMA insurance of $2,500,000. for $70,00 per year. Once you become a licensed professional all that insurance goes out the window so you had better research how much commercial insurance is going to cost you. Hint....It's not cheap. I am just saying that there are a lot of serious considerations to make before making the jump.

I hold multi commercial but I'm not current. It's a whole lot cheaper to take the aeronautical test than regain currency. Much, much cheaper.
It's your call, but you asked so I had/have to tell you my thoughts.

You don't have to be current to your max rating.

I have never meet a pilot who holds a multi commercial that didn't start with single engine, so unless you are the exception all you have to do is hire a CFI and a 172 for a Biennial Flight Review. Depending on where you live and how rusty you are you should be able to do that for under $200.00. My last review cost me $120.

I have a good friend who flew jet fighters in the Navy then 737s for Southwest ATP/Multi/Turbine rated who is retired and only flown single engine piston for years now.... Every 2 years he gets a single engine piston flight review.

The online test is Part 107 questions.
The CAT center test is like the single engine pilot test with part 107 added to it. So if you go that route brush up on your sectionals, weather/METAR decoding, airspace regulations,....

Just me but I love flying, and actually look forward to by flight reviews.

Mike

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
Mike,

I really have no intention of flying a manned aircraft again. After achieving flight instructor status in 1993 I found the best way to starve to death was by becoming a flight instructor. I am also a previous aircraft owner and lacking a business reason to fly that offsets the costs of flying full scale it became just too expensive to fly. Manned aviation is for the wealthy or for those that haven't yet learned what it costs them, or for those that can recover their costs though increased business opportunities. However, a great many pilot opportunities are open, and will be opening up over the next couple years so those with the interest and the means should take a look at what it takes to become a pilot. It can be a rewarding career,and a two year degree will make it even more so.

Having become employed in the military unmanned aircraft industry in 2005 I've found my earning capacity is vastly higher than any entry level commercial pilot and generally higher than most 10 year veterans of commercial passenger aviation. My last medical (2nd class) expired in 2012 and unless the House passes the General Aviation Reform Act I can't think of any reason to climb into the left seat again. After achieving ASMEL, instrument airplane, ground and flight instructor, basic, along with passing the B727 FEX written test, I've done about all the manned stuff I want to do. Not counting the Cessna I figure I've spent well over $60K in year 1990 dollars the process. That's enough. On a positive note, all the previous modeling and full scale piloting helped immensely in qualifying for military contractor unmanned operations. The unmanned experience, combined with the hobby flight activities, has opened other doors.

Having misplaced my certificates (I have 3) about 8 months ago I requested copies of them, with the mandatory submission of a photograph, from the FAA a couple days ago. I passed the FAA's sUAS test in early June so half of this is already out of the way. Doing what I do for a living, I have no concerns about the back ground security check.

I truly appreciate you posting those links, one of them answered a question I was researching relative to aircraft registration. It's a relief to learn the registration many of us did for our hobby level models will also extend to and is found acceptable to commercial sUAS under 55lbs.

Thanks for sharing. I love meeting other pilots and hearing their aviation story.

I decided years ago flying is something you do because you enjoy it, CFI AP,... still basically an expensive hobby. Of course being CFI may not be a good way to make a living it is a time builder.
I have always just flown for fun. Single engine land and sea.
The SES was the most fun ever and the least used rating I have. I hope some day to own a Lake renegade.

If your medical just expired and was not denied then you can fly LSA (Light Sport Airplane) on your pilots certificate and drivers license in place of the medical. You could get checked out in an LSA and have them add it to your log book as a flight review which it is.

Congratulations Brian.

Wish me luck.

Good luck.
It sounds like you are preparing well so you should do fine.
Looking forward to hear how it goes for you.

For everyone that wants to become a UAS Professional Operator there are some things you should consider. I certainly thought about it. It all sounds cool but...... Once you become licensed you are no longer a hobbyist. You will be held to a higher degree of standards. Which is not a bad thing but the law is going to come down a lot harder on a licensed UAS Operator than some dumb hobbyist that did something stupid. As a Hobbyist my homeowners insurance covers me in the event I do any harm to anyone or anything and that is backed up by my AMA insurance of $2,500,000. for $70,00 per year. Once you become a licensed professional all that insurance goes out the window so you had better research how much commercial insurance is going to cost you. Hint....It's not cheap. I am just saying that there are a lot of serious considerations to make before making the jump.

Great points.
Thanks

My aviation insurance girl quoted me just under $1000 per year for $1 million liability (Doesnt cover the drone) commercial drone coverage.
I'm sure now you can find a better price somewhere. I'm going to ask her if the price has changed with 107 going live.

My guess is rates will fall once the number of legal commercial applicants rises dramatically. I also believe some of the insurance companies are looking for early sign ups to snag a few people, sticking them with higher rates. However, the rates will depend a lot on the operators. If they do stupid things the rates will rise.

Great points.
Thanks

My aviation insurance girl quoted me just under $1000 per year for $1 million liability (Doesnt cover the drone) commercial drone coverage.
I'm sure now you can find a better price somewhere. I'm going to ask her if the price has changed with 107 going live.

I've been looking at insurance and "OMG!!!!"

Perhaps it would work for a bunch of UAS licensed PIC's to form together and find group insurance.

Perhaps it will fall as commercial use 'takes off'

I did see someone offering "on demand" coverage at $10 an hour .. on here I think?

Sadly it doesn't, but salting away a small sum (paying for if you like) each flight might go toward a replacement if anything happened.
Hmmm that's something I might take up :)

I've been looking at insurance and "OMG!!!!"

Perhaps it would work for a bunch of UAS licensed PIC's to form together and find group insurance.

That's a great idea. Maybe we need to form a coop/Union/Non-Profit/Lobby-group for commercial sUAS pilots... like AOPA or something....
I have seen a couple groups here and there but none (yet) that offered the benefits as pilots we know we need.

Anyone know of any good groups out there for us?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaphoodie