Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Bound to happen

Reaction score
Today I crashed 2 drones and I think into the same tree. First was a Phantom 3 Advanced. I was flying low to the ground and the drone lifted up into a branch. Drone is repairable.
Later I had the Typhoon H out and was again trying to get a video of a bike trail and *** replacement when the workers were not around. The drone was flying properly and was blown off course and clipped a branch as I was trying to get it back to a safe landing spot it dropped from about 30 to 40 feet into a dirt pile. Broken landing gear, 4 props, and 3 arm clips. The camera fell off and split but I think that it will be fine.

Today I crashed 2 drones and I think into the same tree. First was a Phantom 3 Advanced. I was flying low to the ground and the drone lifted up into a branch. Drone is repairable.
Later I had the Typhoon H out and was again trying to get a video of a bike trail and *** replacement when the workers were not around. The drone was flying properly and was blown off course and clipped a branch as I was trying to get it back to a safe landing spot it dropped from about 30 to 40 feet into a dirt pile. Broken landing gear, 4 props, and 3 arm clips. The camera fell off and split but I think that it will be fine.
What was the wind like? Even if winds were low if they were whipping around trees or other structures it can create low level turbulence.

Bill W.

First time I was flying the Phantom for about 100 yards away. With the Typhoon I was walking behind the drone when I lost control of it.
Both were in the same area.

First time I was flying the Phantom for about 100 yards away. With the Typhoon I was walking behind the drone when I lost control of it.
Both were in the same area.

It just seems that after crashing 2 different units with the same tree is the result of a risky setup. If the units hit any nearby objects because you were flying too close to the branches I would call it a pilot error rather than a problem with the units.

The H tends to move around a few inches when holding position, (its not rock solid and I wouldnt expect it to be) so flying in limited spaces is risky. (I believe this is the same with any other multirotor)

Light to know wind but maybe some iron in the soil

This is my very personal opinion, but if I crashed 2 units from different brands, the same day, with the same tree I would consider my own responsibility first instead of considering external factors (such as iron on the soil) to be the cause of the incidents.

Always the machine and never the operator.

Yes I Consider it my fault as the H was drifting and I got it stopped then hit a branch on the way out. I had a space of about 50 feet to fly through and it drifted. Once I hit the twig I tried to get it out of the area and lost power at 30 to 40 feet. I think that it shed blades as the sound changed and it did not feel stable. I had no control after the hit and was hoping to get it to a safe landing area.
With the Phantom it was off course when I brought it down from 200 feet to begin the video run. The Phantom was returned from someone who saw the crash. He said that it tumbled down a bank. Both of these were my fault but I am wondering why the H drifted as much as it did.

Yes I Consider it my fault as the H was drifting and I got it stopped then hit a branch on the way out. I had a space of about 50 feet to fly through and it drifted. Once I hit the twig I tried to get it out of the area and lost power at 30 to 40 feet. I think that it shed blades as the sound changed and it did not feel stable. I had no control after the hit and was hoping to get it to a safe landing area.
With the Phantom it was off course when I brought it down from 200 feet to begin the video run. The Phantom was returned from someone who saw the crash. He said that it tumbled down a bank. Both of these were my fault but I am wondering why the H drifted as much as it did.
Good question. It depends on how much it drifted. When I've seen drift on mine it's usually the accelerometer calibration. It's easy to do and to test. Make sure the H is on level ground and do the calibration without moving or touching it. Restart the H and after you have good sat lock take it up about 15' and hover. Do a slow 360 degree yaw and watch to see that it stays in one place. If it drifts more than a foot or so then redo the calibration. This is assuming there is no wind.

Thanks
I will do this next week after I get it back together. At this time all I can do is wait for the parts to arrive. I have 3 broken arms and one leg retractor as well as the camera mount.

I believe Steven Carr figured out what went wrong. I had just done an accelerometer calibration. I think that something went wrong as the drone drifted on both corners. I was trying to follow a bike and walking path and was walking behind the drone.

I have found a few things that I did wrong and will correct them in the future. The H will not get put back together until Monday as that is when the parts are supposed to arrive. Thanks to everyone who has helped.

Clearly we suffer from the same malady - Drones and K1600's...I recognized your avatar from the K1600 site....we have some expensive hobbies, but if you are going to crash one...you did it right - crash the drone!

Clearly we suffer from the same malady - Drones and K1600's...I recognized your avatar from the K1600 site....we have some expensive hobbies, but if you are going to crash one...you did it right - crash the drone!
We have some fun hobbies.
Both the K1600 and the R1200RTP as well as the Typhoon H and a Phantom P4. I think that the H and the K1600 go together and the RTP and the P4.
I have been wondering how many of us ride and fly drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: wizard
Mind sharing? We learn from each other.:)
After listening to members with more experience with the H. I found out what I was doing wrong. Because of the long binding and setup time I was starting the bird in my house and then walking it out to the launch site. The other thing is the H does not respond as fast as a Phantom 4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio