Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Breeze #2, Problem #2 and an Amazon 2 Star Review.

Reaction score
I've been flying "stuff" six I was 15. Did my solo in a Grumman Lynx on my 16th birthday some 40 years ago. I now fly a PiperSport LSA from time to time. As far as UAS' go, I bought a Hubsan X4 a few years ago on Amazon, then a Parrot AR.Drone, sold that, got a Yuneec Breeze and most recently just bought a 3DR Solo at BB. I mention this just to say, I have some experience with flying "stuff".

This is my second Yuneec Breeze. The first one kept dropping its Wi-Fi connection to my iPhones (5SE 7+), iPad Mini and Samsung Galaxy Tablet. As others have noted, this problem crops up after upgrading the Breeze's Firmware. It does use the 5GHz Wi-Fi band so not all Android Phones will work with the Breeze. I exchanged Emails with Yuneec Support and ultimately decided to send the first one back to Amazon as I was still within their return period. It was returned as "defective."

I really do WANT TO LOVE this little UAS! It has a great camera. The image stabilization at 1080p is awesome. It fits into a small hard case that is easy to carry in my backpack for hiking, biking or rock climbing and can easily fit in my kayak storage hatch. It also costs A LOT less than a DJI Mavic Pro which I see as overkill for my needs.

The second Breeze arrived from Amazon yesterday. I charged up the batteries, charged my FPV Controller, calibrated the compass and checked in with the local Hospital Flight Dispatch to let them know there was low traffic in the area about a mile out. First flight was a disaster! Took off, the Breeze banked left and flew into a dirt bank. Had it banked right, it would have it my LR3. For the second flight I moved over to the detention basin near my house for a safety buffer. Swapped out the battery, recalibrated the compass and took off. The Breeze started circling low in a weird pattern. I knocked it out of its low flight and took it inside before it took off and hurt something or someone.

With nothing to lose at this point, I decided to "upgrade" the flight control firmware last night. This morning I got brave and attached a tether line to the Breeze, turned off the GPS and tried to fly it in my living room. The tether line was light and did not affect its flight at all. It took off and hovered in place fine. Great I thought. Let's go outside and see how this flies. Now not being a complete idiot, I decided to leave the tether on the Breeze and Video the whole thing because I figured nobody would believe it if it went NUTZO again.

Well... it went NUTZO again!

I'll be contacting Yuneec Breeze Support about this "new issue" today.

I really do want to love this thing... it's great when it works!

Sunset.jpg

If wasn't for bad luck with the Breeze, you'd have no luck at all! Hope you get this problem solved so you can get out there and enjoy yourself!

Reactions: FLYXLSA
Yep... luck of the draw? I'm hanging on to it. It's a great camera UAS. I'm trusting Yuneec will get it sorted out. At least it's not like the GoPro Karma and falling out of the sky!

I saw this video on youtube. Nice trick with the string. Looks almost quad kite flying

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

I don't have mine updated, but I also don't fly with the controller. I have yet to have any real problems. We went to the park yesterday, and it worked really well. Since there is no way to uninstall the firmware, I'd send it back just one more time and fly the new one with my phone.

When you have the string tight, the Breeze will try to level itself but cannot. That's why it is behaving that way. If you want to test it properly, tie the string in a way so that it is pulling from the bottom center of the Breeze and attach it to something that the Breeze can just lift such as a water bottle. Adjust the water level as needed.

String was NOT tight. It was pulling it through my fingers. It just looks that way in the video. I've done it multiple times. Something is wrong with it. Flies fine inside with GPS "Off" on the tether.

When you have the string tight, the Breeze will try to level itself but cannot. That's why it is behaving that way. If you want to test it properly, tie the string in a way so that it is pulling from the bottom center of the Breeze and attach it to something that the Breeze can just lift such as a water bottle. Adjust the water level as needed.
I don't have mine updated, but I also don't fly with the controller. I have yet to have any real problems. We went to the park yesterday, and it worked really well. Since there is no way to uninstall the firmware, I'd send it back just one more time and fly the new one with my phone.

I just may do that... I haven't decided yet. Still waiting for Yuneec Support to contact me about this issue. I have some time to decide.

Also Amazon screwed up my account with this return. They gave me a credit for the Drone I bought in January and the one I bought in November is now showing as "waiting for return" which has created a big Fuster Cluck on my Amazon Account. :(

Don't buy a lottery ticket. it's not your lucky day. ;)
Yuneec service has been very good for me.
Sounds like a compass or GPS error if it is really trying to fly away with the string loose. Perhaps it thinks it's still in China.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Don't buy a lottery ticket. it's not your lucky day. ;)
Yuneec service has been very good for me.
Sounds like a compass or GPS error if it is really trying to fly away with the string loose. Perhaps it thinks it's still in China.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.

I think it's the GPS since it flies indoors just fine. Calibrated and recalibrated too many times to count - away from Building in the middle of a freaking field where there should be NO METAL or Electro-Magnetic or other Magnetic interference.

Unless you count my "Tin Foil Hat" I wear for protection from Aliens!!!! :eek:
upload_2017-1-24_12-9-11.png

Last edited:
I took River Runner's tip and added a Bottle in the tether connection. It works better to tie off on one of the legs, rather than the body because of the sensors under the Breeze. The bottle seemed to be a little much, as was affected by the Prop Wash indoors and it flew a bit Wongo. Overall it seemed stable with GPS off.

It stopped raining today here so I ventured outside and kept the GPS off. Did yet another Compass Calibration (getting good at that). Flew fine with a sponge in the Tether Line. Turned GPS on and tried it again. It went Nutzo again. It has to be something with the GPS... I've eliminated all the other variables?

I know you guys just love my technical terms like "Wongo" and "Nutzo" but those two terms seem to sum it up better than any other adjectives I can think of at the moment - at least that I can type in a forum without a moderator censoring my post anyway.

I also made a landing pad out of a piece of PVC Tile and Masking Tape for the optical sensor. Give it something to read/bounce off. YouTube Video tip. Did NOT seem to help.

Calling Yuneec now. Still have not heard back yet.

IMG_4684 2.JPG

Last edited:
Hello FLYXLSA,
Sorry to hear you new Breeze is flying irradically (after watching the video to say the least), I think I finally got mine straightened out as I have flown it six times now without a hitch. As I have said I use Andoird 6.0.1 on a Moto G4 and I finally ferreted out that it is essential to toggle in and out of Airplane Mode before connecting to a new network, ie the Breeze app. I am not flying with the FPV controller so my advice may not be pertinent but if I were you I would seek out a friend that had an Android that supports 5GHZ, get them to download the app, do the toggle routine and see if it makes a difference. I do agree with you though the Breeze when it works is the idea travler-photographer tool. To be honest though the DJI Mavic and Gopro Karma have both either been recalled or delayed due to controller issues. Sorry again, especially since you appear to be a fellow Yellow Lab caretaker-employee.

Ron

Thanks Ron - I just got the RMA and have it all boxed up and ready to send back via UPS. I'm hoping it comes back with no issues. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Tablet that I can use to fly it if iOS is an issue. Meanwhile I've been playing with some 3DR Solo's I picked up at BestBuy at an insane price. They're very nice machines. It was nice out today and I know this is a Yuneec Forum, but here's what video looks like with a 3DR Solo with a Gimbal Mounted GoPro Hero4 Silver. Thanks! Tim
(White Lab btw)

Hey Tim,
That is a really nice stabile video, and of course the Gopro image and color saturation can't be beat. I am glad at least you have a back up plan. I think it really is a shame the major makers like DJI and Yuneec brought out products that didn't perform for everyone but I am not sure that the smart phone software update freenzy doesn't have something to do with it also. Apple and Google seem to be locked into the old Microsoft - Apple death struggle now to control the hearts and minds of consumers. Between software updates, hacking and government intrusion it's hard to do anything as complex as fly a quad. I live near Camp David and when the President is there or on his way or leaving the Secret Service knocks out cell phone service for miles around, it really is wierd because it's just like someone turned off the lights your phone just goes blank until he is secured. Any how hope you get it straightened out because when the Breeze is right it really does great work.

Ron

Ron - I titled my Amazon Review "Breeze #2, Problem #2 - Was this thing rushed to market?" Either that or they have Quality Control Issues? DJI didn't help 3DR's situation and at least our birds didn't fall out of the sky like the GoPro Karma! So far Yuneec Support has been good to work with.

Interesting about Camp David. I'm sure the Feds have stuff we don't even know about. You're not that far from me here in Hershey, PA.

TIP of the Day: I wouldn't advise flying near Camp David or Raven Rock either! Keeps those guys in Black Suits from knocking on your door - IF they even knock? :cool: - Tim

Thanks Ron - I just got the RMA and have it all boxed up and ready to send back via UPS. I'm hoping it comes back with no issues. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Tablet that I can use to fly it if iOS is an issue. Meanwhile I've been playing with some 3DR Solo's I picked up at BestBuy at an insane price. They're very nice machines. It was nice out today and I know this is a Yuneec Forum, but here's what video looks like with a 3DR Solo with a Gimbal Mounted GoPro Hero4 Silver. Thanks! Tim
(White Lab btw)

Wow, that is nice! What's the range on that one?

Does the drone require the firmware update in order to fly with the controller? It sure would be nice to see the entire video display while flying.

Does the drone require the firmware update in order to fly with the controller? It sure would be nice to see the entire video display while flying.
I can't recall which came first- the app or the firmware upgrade? I would advise getting one.
I don't fly in much pilot mode on the phone anymore. It is nice to have both options on the go though.

Last edited:
FLY, you are a bad influence my friend! I'm reading your comments, watching your video, and seeing that the 3DR is $299 at Best Buy and thinking maybe now's the time to grab another drone...lol. Would the gimble work with something like the Yi 4k Action Cam?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis