Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

Brick'd Q500 when firmware update failed.

Discussion in 'Q500 4K Help' started by FilmIdol, Aug 4, 2016.

1. FilmIdol

I've had so many issues with my Yuneec and not being able to update the firmware or adjust settings through the GUI, and finally broke down and called the company. They were very helpful and efficient, and it took a little time to get to someone who knew more about my problem.

On my 3rd computer, I was able to momentarily connect to the Q500 4k, via the white cable they provide. So I went for the firmware update from 1.5 to 1.7 and it failed mid-upload. Where did that leave me? Well, with a bricked Typhoon - that's where. So it goes back to them today, and it was nice they picked up the cost of shipping.

Anyone know what the turnaround time is from them?

Also, I attached a doc they sent me about debricking a Q500 - maybe it will help someone else.

Attached Files:

2. KBflyer

Here is how you fix it. Very simple to do. Surprised the Yuneec tech did not know this, OH wait no I'm not they are just little kids playing with big boy toys. :)

Here's how to do it.

1. Turn off the Q500, but leave it connected to your computer.
    2. Having lost connection from your previous attempt, you will now be at this
    Start Screen.jpg

4. You will now be at this screen:

Update Screen.jpg
    5. Select the proper update file and then click "Update".
    6. You will now see this screen pop up.
    Update.jpg

7. Turn on your Q500 and the firmware will now load. When it is finished, close out of the
    update screens and then click on "Turn off GUI preview". You should now be able to
    communicate with the Q500 and verify that the new version is 1.07

8. Turn off the Q500 and disconnect the USB adapter from it. REMEMBER TO RECONNECT
    THE WHITE CABLE IN THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT!!!

9. Turn the Q500 back on and verify that the transmitter will communicate with it.
    In case it doesn't, you might have to re-bind the transmitter to the Q500.

You should do a compass recalibration
    after any firmware update of the airframe.

There you go! You should be all set now. :)

3. FilmIdol

Well, I had done this already, and after the failed firmware install, I trued to force it, as per your last screen, and it fails with an error message.

4. KBflyer

Well you must have a truly bricked one. I have never seen anyone not recover from what you described, hope Yuneec can make things right for you.

5. Jay Bennett

Stories like these keep me from doing any kind of updating. I've had several bad accidents already, and with what I've read in other forums on this same issue......I'm skeered. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. KBflyer

Trouble is if you do have a problem with your Yuneec product and you have not done all the updates that come out they (yuneec) could say your warranty is void. Its up to you to keep your product up to date and if you have a failure I could see them giving you a hard time.

I have owned my Typhoon Q 500+ for two years now, updated when needed. Never a problem. I have belonged to many a forum and see people having issues updating. In most cases it comes down to user error or computer error.
    Most times it is not reading the instructions.
    Its not rocket science to update but you do need to read and watch some videos if your not sure about what your about to do.

Jay Bennett likes this.
  7. Jay Bennett

Thanks FJ. I've been browsing thru different forums learning quite a bit, and glad there people on here like u and a few others that post in here. I will eventually bite the bullet and do it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. KBflyer

9. KBflyer

Guess they don't allow links to people who can solve simple problems LOl

Jay Bennett likes this.
  10. FilmIdol

Trust me, I read the instructions, over and over, and watched videos of the process over and over. I think the problem is a bad connector inside the battery compartment or the USB dongle.

I'm hoping I get it back soon because I've been promoting the heck out of my biz and have a lot of work lined up.

11. KBflyer

I have seen where people have a bad USB cord that came with the Typhoon

12. DSR

DSR

Response to FilmIdol question about turnaround time

I sent my Plus in for an overheating motor on the 11th of June, got an email on the 20th stating that it was in the repair department. On July 7th they notified me that the repair and testing was complete, received it back on the 12th. So 30 days including the 10 days it was in transit back and forth from Tennessee to California. They sent it back with a new set of black props and a Yuneec sticker.

FilmIdol likes this.
  13. FilmIdol

Ouch. I may have to buy a new UAV.