Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Calibration of: Compass, Accelerometer, Gimbal Camera

Some complain about the size of an ST-16 now. They would go off the deep end if they saw a ground station with all the whistles and bells. A 7" screen would be woefully inadequate for the space necessary to display all that's provided;)

Exactly what PatR and gwhuntoon said. When I got into GPS guided UAV 5 years ago, I was thought to wait 15 min for acquisition and data download . I wish the ST16 would give Hdop reading along with number of satellites.
TC I just asked if HDOP values were available on the H in another thread. I would love to see them so I could make the decision if I wanted to fly with or without GPS. My Pixhawk FC can be set to prohibit GPS flight until the HDOP is at a certain value.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

TC I just asked if HDOP values were available on the H in another thread. I would love to see them so I could make the decision if I wanted to fly with or without GPS. My Pixhawk FC can be set to prohibit GPS flight until the HDOP is at a certain value.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
The H GUI when connected via USB will show the HDOP on a Windows notebook PC. You can do this in the field.

Greg

Reactions: Brent
My way of thinking, and considerable operational experience, provides reason to believe too many people are in a rush to get off the ground and hitting the arm button as soon as they see what they think is a reasonable number of satellites, if they bother to review that information at all. It would explain many of the control and positional issues some experience from time to time. Until the arm button is pushed there is very little drain on the battery. Allowing a minute or two after the basic boot up before arming the motors will provide much better GPS performance. We can use that wait time to set up our cameras and spend less time messing with it once in the air, or reviewing our area of flight to gain a better grasp of wind and obstruction conditions.

I agree completely with you. My military experience had nothing directly to do with aircraft, but as a Ham Op, I have basic familiarity with satellites. The dual (USA-Russian) GPS systems as they exist now are a boon to all kinds of civilian products, so much so we take them for granted. Under certain atmospheric and topological conditions their signals can and will degrade. You know all this, but I think many flyers new to GPS drones may not. As you say, go slow on hitting the red button. Haste can cost you money and aggravation.

PatR, Rayray and others unmentioned, I'm envious and commend you all for your service. A buddy of mine and I left the movie theater after seeing Iron Eagle back in the 80s. My buddy right then and there wanted us both to enlist. I ended up taking another path. He joined the Navy and became a Seal in I think Team 8. I'll never forget when he was in BUDS in San Diego and missed Christmas because he was laid up in the base hospital with stress fractures in both legs from the training. He and his team did recon before the first Desert Storm and were responsible for rescuing the British diplomats being held in Iraq. Unfortunately he got prostate cancer after retiring from the Navy which spread to his bones. He passed a couple of years ago.

Greg

My warmest thanks but I was a civilian contractor as my means of service. Although the life of a contractor is by no means easy in hostile environments, those that sign up to serve as active military give more than anyone, putting their lives on the line to assure a contractor would survive. When they sign up they sacrifice their rights, comforts, families, and income in order to be who and what they are. Some give all. Living and serving alongside them in two sandboxes I've never found a way to effectively express my gratitude, respect, or bestow the honor onto them they are due. I will say that even if you're a civilian, if you work alongside them and share their life they will take you into their family, and that's something you'll always treasure.

I'm truly saddened to learn of your friend, but know he lived more in his time than most ever will.

Last edited:
Thanks! If Yuneec ever wanted to partner on a video(s) I'd certainly be open to it.
Captain Drone HELP PLEASE

Hello Everyone.

just received my Typhoon H realsence the H had a compass calibration in the UK it's arrived with me in Spain today.

I charged all batteries st16 went out to do a compass calibration with no luck ,I end up with a solid purple light with a intermittent solid white on the back off the H.

Satellite on st 16 amount 18
On the H I had 20.

Gps ready

In the settings menu I have pushed the buttons compass calibration as the H just been delivered to different country.

I have pushed the button for Compass calibration to give me 3 choices I pushed the compass tag and nothing happens no change off lights to start calibration am I doing something really obviously wrong.

Went through procedures twice after turning off everything after first attempt.

I been on YouTube mixed information some say ok to fly others say do a calibration, I am waiting for any response before I fly.

I am a total newbie.

Thanks guys.
Dean.

Captain.

I am a total newbie to drones I watched **** loads of YouTube stuff, was totally confused with witch camara drone to purchase.

Yuneec or Dji I brought two other cheap drones to practice on first and I purchased a flight simulator.

Once I was happy with st 16 controller in my head just repeatedly watched your video getting started.

I had to do firm where download again as couldn't get H to go into calibration mode once calibration done I was off, I went, was extremely careful for the first three flights I have two batteries one other in post.

I live in the mountains in Spain once I gained confidence I flew LOS for 1 kilometre had clear video there and back.

I purchased the realsence haven't flown with realsence on only in angles mode.

To use the realsence do you once at certain hight do you simply flick switch in smart mode to bottom position and push the follow me button?

Thanks for all your videos I gain a lot of information from your videos about racing drones brilliant you answered my own question and I will pass it as wouldn't have the patience to keep repairing.

I am very happy with the H as new to hobby the ST16 control ground station is very nice, and why I brought the H over the Dji was something you said it's a sheep in wolves clothing, also bill Nichols said that it's as stable as the phantom.

I think the H looks better than the phantom extremely happy with my purchase extremely rock solid .
Keep the videos coming mate and thanks.

Dean

Here is a long overdue "Typhoon H calibration" video I recently put together. It is designed for new Typhoon H pilots (you experienced pilots already know all of this and much more). Instead of three separate videos, I put all 3 calibration items together in one video for easy reference.

I added the "magnetic north" compass calibration issue that many on this forum speak of. I don't know if there is any truth to it, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I also added the "heat" issue when performing an accelerometer calibration (for Phantom pilots we have all grown up knowing never to perform an IMU calibration with a hot battery or drone). I 100% don't know if it applies to the Typhoon, but I threw it in regardless.

Enjoy!

Hi, still Ì´m not sure if the white flash in the purle (angel) light means that I have sufficient GPS lock to fly safe?

Hi, still Ì´m not sure if the white flash in the purle (angel) light means that I have sufficient GPS lock to fly safe?

- The Copter is in angle mode with GPS signal and GLONASS
Lit permanently purple and flashes white (for 1 second)

Thanks to Drone Doctor

- The Copter is in angle mode with GPS signal and GLONASS
Lit permanently purple and flashes white (for 1 second)

Thanks to Drone Doctor

Solid purple refers to craft GPS, solid purple with white flashes indicates the same, plus that the ST16 has 10 or more GPS Sats locked.

A good GPS condition usually has the craft with 15 or more Sats and the ST16 more than 10 Sats. Typically the craft picks up more as it ascends.

Captain.

I am a total newbie to drones I watched **** loads of YouTube stuff, was totally confused with witch camara drone to purchase.

Yuneec or Dji I brought two other cheap drones to practice on first and I purchased a flight simulator.

Once I was happy with st 16 controller in my head just repeatedly watched your video getting started.

I had to do firm where download again as couldn't get H to go into calibration mode once calibration done I was off, I went, was extremely careful for the first three flights I have two batteries one other in post.

I live in the mountains in Spain once I gained confidence I flew LOS for 1 kilometre had clear video there and back.

I purchased the realsence haven't flown with realsence on only in angles mode.

To use the realsence do you once at certain hight do you simply flick switch in smart mode to bottom position and push the follow me button?

Thanks for all your videos I gain a lot of information from your videos about racing drones brilliant you answered my own question and I will pass it as wouldn't have the patience to keep repairing.

I am very happy with the H as new to hobby the ST16 control ground station is very nice, and why I brought the H over the Dji was something you said it's a sheep in wolves clothing, also bill Nichols said that it's as stable as the phantom.

I think the H looks better than the phantom extremely happy with my purchase extremely rock solid .
Keep the videos coming mate and thanks.

Dean

Thanks Dean! Glad you're enjoying your Typhoon H. It is still the drone I find the most fun to fly on a relaxing sunny afternoon. If you have any questions, the members of this forum can offer plenty of assistance.

CD

Might I suggest that if the -16 has 10 or less satellites to wait for a few minutes for it to acquire more satellites before arming the motors? I received a compass error warning the other day with only 10 sats showing on the -16.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stone