Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can anyone tell me what the tornado is like as a pro tool?

Hi all,

Ill just chuck my hat in the ring, we own an operate the H920 commercially and yes it does have its floors but most kit out there does. We find it more than adequate for shoots, the UK customer service is second to none and the overall quality on both stills and video from the stock CGO4 (in my opinion) push it way above the X5.

Don't get me wrong I like DJI kit and i do own a phantom (its what i learnt to fly on) but i prefer the build of the Yuneec kit, the fact that you have the monitor built into the controller, you have the flight case and most extras are included and a big plus is that it does look more professional.

I've been using the H920 for quite a while now and am happy to answer any questions that anybody may have.

How did you solve the issue with flying speed not working on K2? It is tied directly to the zoom of the CGO4 on K6

Hi H2O,

I've heard about this problem from quite a few different sources and i cant say I've ever experienced it, my hare and tortoise switch seems to work perfectly and my zoom on the CGO4 is only available from the on screen GUI on the ST24. Did you have this issue straight out of the box or has it come from a firmware update somewhere along the line?

My issue came straight out of the box. My CGO4 zoom is on the K6 and works correctly. I haven't seen any firmware updates for the ST24 yet. Are there any out there?

I guess it all depends how long you have owned the 920 but there was a firmware update for the ST24 back in April, I've dropped the link below for you :)

Firmware

Obviously this is from the UK site but i believe the american Yuneec site has the same. You'll need to check the current version number of your ST24 software before proceeding

I have the typhoon H and an Inspire but looking at a bigger hex so I can apply for an OSC - does the H920 have any redundancy in the flight computers like the M600?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Hey Mike,

It does have motor redundancy and will fly on only five props if you have a motor fail in flight :)

Wow, I came over to this thread to read about the 920 only to find it's a DJI Inspire and Matrice fan club thread. Looks like I need to locate someone that actually owns and uses a 920 and have direct conversations with them.

Hi PatR. It's a smaller community compared to the Q500/TH, but I've found the H920 forum's discussion and input useful and fairly objective. (Yeah, it can appear that there are some that favor DJI, but I think that is warranted depending on what's important to you.) When I started looking for a higher-end kit, I debated between stepping up within the DJI family or trying Yuneec. I initially went with an Inspire 1 Pro but ended up replacing it with a Tornado/CGO4 combo. I like the CGO4 camera better than the X5, the H920 copter seems a little 'smoother' than the Inspire 1 (some might complain that it's not as zippy as the Inspire), and the H920 has better flight time than the I1 Pro, but their controller software isn't really keeping up with some of the stuff DJI is doing. The Yuneec SW is adequate, but whenever I fly my Phantom 4, it reinforces how much more Yuneec could be doing to improve the operator interface.

There are some very experienced Tornado users that pass through here . . . if you have some specific questions, I suspect there is someone on the forum that could probably answer them. yuneec-forum.com is also a good source. Hopefully you can find the information that you're looking for between the two.

Reactions: Brent and volanti
I agree with ussuasdriver, there are indeed some very experienced H920 users on here. Ive been using the 920 since the start of this year for commercial operations and enjoy flying it and filming with it plus my clients love the results that it gives. Yes i have a DJI Phantom and yes its nippy and fits into some places the 920 wont but my heart is with Yuneec, especially here in the UK where we have built up a very good relationship with them :)

Reactions: Brent
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have the Typhoon H and an IRIS+. Both great small birds. I have recently been thinking about getting a bigger platform. The M600 is probably overkill for what I need, so I was obviously looking at the Inspire Pro and Tornado 920. I think the Inspire 2 will be dropping soon so there may be another price drop on the Inspire Pro, but I really like my Typhoon H and am still very interested in the 920. I know there are rumors of an update or new version of the 920 floating around on the forum. Anyone have any information about that? Quite honestly I would definately go with the 920 if I new there was going to be a firmware update that would give it some of the capabilities of the Typhoon H.

Hi Brent,

I posted this elsewhere on this forum last night, think it may be of interest :)

"Just a quick update on this.......

Dan from Yuneec posted this in another forum I'm a member of :)

Hello everyone, Daniel here from Yuneec UK. Listen, I know how patient you all have been waiting for us to develop the H920/CGO4 into a much More usable and functional platform. I just wanted to reassure you that the big wheels are well and truly turning. We might have some hardware updates for you as soon as next week and the big update is getting very close indeed and will be well worth the wait! If you need to call me I am inhumanly busy (at the ESS show in NEC all next week) but the week after I will make time.

So there we go folks........exciting times ahead for us H920 pilots :)"

Reactions: Brent
Thanks for the feed back guys. I completely understand people having different tools for different jobs. I can't think of any one system that will always handle every possible application, making diversity an important part of any tool kit.

In speaking with Yuneec this morning I found it comforting to learn that Yuneec would welcome someone that purchased a 920 arranging a time to come by their corporate offices in California to learn as much about the system as they could before putting it up in the wild blue yonder.

Reactions: volanti
I think Uk has the same facility. If you buy a 920 you pick it up from UK HQ and get a training run through. I'm tempted when CGO4/GH4 quality becomes a must.

You certainly do :)
Chiming in late however for me the 920 was my first drone flight. I love it and have had no issues orher than range but I comply with VLOS so no issue. I may not get the Instagram shot of the year but it is my go to commercial typedrone and my rec drone is the Autel X Star Premium!!!

Thanks for your comments. Its a big help. Im a licensed operator and use the inspire pro with X5 commercially. I never use second operator.I wouldn't trust anyone to fly my drone and as a pro cameraman shooting tv commercials, I need to shoot my own footage as well.
I have never had a problem shooting and flying solo. Matter of fact, i see no reason why I would want to use someone else as well.
Maybe the way points and features will come. I dont really use them anyway in my work. I really do like the 920 but it may be premature as you say. I will wait and see. Inspire 2 will be out soon so may be the way to go. I do like the idea of the CGO4 cam. I have the 14-42 lens on my x5 and thats the same thing I guess.

Yuneec is using te TPH as test before implementing new functions in the Tornado.
Its better too lose several TPHs while testing new functions in place of losing Tornados.
So i think they will upgrade the Tornado soon

Marnix

I have decided on the M600 with X5. Longer flight times and a more pro image for my business. I smashed my inspire Pro and x5 so this way I can use the X5 on my inspire and my M600. The X5 can also be controlled from the ground unlike the GH4 etc.

The Tornado has a new camera the CGO4 V18
its a CGO4 with 18x zoom.

Marnix

Hello everyone, Im new to this forum and Im looking to get the H920 for the following work:
-water tower inspections;
-real estate;
-zoning; and
-CAT (insurance work)

Im not a big fan of DJI due to the CS and the fact that they (and the industry) are making it difficult for local shops to now work on these machines due to construction of the boards, etc.

I like the looks (build) of the 920 and the whole hardware configuration to the simplistic battery storage, flight time, etc.

I currently own a hexa 540H gaui, with the 10-Channel 2.4GHz Computer Radio System. That was all good for FPV and popping on the zenmuse gimbal for go pro etc. But its time to step up the gear.

The 920 has a more professional look, durable, etc.

I would like any professional input, etc. Yes, DJI is the top dog, but again, their CS is like trying to have two people (Clinton vs. Trump) get to the conclusion of their point. Either you cant get through or have to play email games. Unless you live in the area of a major hobby shop that has skilled techs, its a big gamble; and again, they are now building these units where you are now basically forced to send them back to the manufacturer, etc.

Cheers

Slapshot

Having looked at most of the comments on here I certainly wouldn't recommend the H920 / CGO4 combination for any high-end commercial or film work. The CGO4 has already started to produce glitches in-flight and whatever reason refuses to self-level which means most of our footage is virtually unusable. We have stripes running through what we do get and that's if you can manage to actually get the bird off the ground in the first place. It takes an absolute age to boot up and get the ST24 communicating with the aircraft, and that's assuming it does actually communicate on the first attempt. Sometimes it can take several restarts while everyone is left standing around twiddling their thumbs. TBH I can't fault Yuneec UK for backup service, they've been exemplary but the H920 is just crap and there's no other word for it. For anyone even considering buying a Tornado, I'd say under no circumstances should you do so until they've ironed out the bugs because they're just too voluminous to mention.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz