Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can Intel Realsense detect and avoid a street power line?

there is only one way to find out :) ...... try it ... i tried realsense out yesterday and it was awesome but it was only trees and stuff ...

umm theres no power lines where i am:D

Yuneec states they :Do Not" detect thin objects, like power lines, twig branches etc :confused:Do Not Try It !.:confused:

I have seen one video where it did detect rather small wires. I was surprised. I would not count on it though.
Edit: Check this video at about 3:19

Last edited:
Can Intel Realsense detect and avoid a street power line?

I have not nor do I intend to test that. I do have a dead horizontal power line that I am going to test it on, Angle with RS on, soon.

HOWEVER, any person flying in proximity to live power lines without permission or good reason should have their toy taken away.

Reactions: abinder
There is a beautiful old mill near where I live which has been out of service for many years...it still has an old wire which ran across the stream which was used in the mill...one of these days I will see if it sees a thin object like that. I got my Pro about a month ago but have yet to fly it because when calibrating right out of the box the motor arms would not stay locked...it returns today from Yuneec so I will be doing lots of testing with it in the next few
days.

Update the "Pro" came back unable to fly and has been sent back to dealer for exchange...doesn't strike me as "Pro" more like "retired".

Last edited:
I defiantly would not recommend flying your Typhoon H with the RealSense into to power lines to see if it works.:oops:

Any mishap you will not only have a broken Typhoon H but will very likely pick up a large bill from the power line company involved, you are also putting at risk your local electricity supply.
So please don't try it or be tempted.:eek:

Reactions: abinder
I do have a dead horizontal power line that I am going to test it on, Angle with RS on, soon.

I tried the dead power line this morning, and the RealSense in Angle mode picked it up about 6' away, rather close. To compare, it picked up my Martin House (20' in the air) from 15' away, and it'll pick up a tree at 20-30'. (The ST-16 "pings" when RS sees something)

I defiantly would not recommend flying your Typhoon H with the RealSense into to power lines to see if it works.:oops:

Any mishap you will not only have a broken Typhoon H but will very likely pick up a large bill from the power line company involved, you are also putting at risk your local electricity supply.
So please don't try it or be tempted.:eek:

What you say might seem logical but no one in their right mind will intentionally fly their drone into a power line. I asked the original question because I did fly my H into a street power line by mistake. It crashed. Nothing happened to the power line. We're talking about a very thick cable and a drone will not cause any damage to it like you think. Sparks going everywhere, lost power and a downed power line is probably only in the movies.

What you say might seem logical but no one in their right mind will intentionally fly their drone into a power line. I asked the original question because I did fly my H into a street power line by mistake. It crashed. Nothing happened to the power line. We're talking about a very thick cable and a drone will not cause any damage to it like you think. Sparks going everywhere, lost power and a downed power line is probably only in the movies.

As a recent former electricity overhead lines man for thirty years I can assure you you can damage the overhead wires, you may have been lucky that time, but it would be impossible to check the overhead wires for any physical damage from the ground.

If those wires you refer to were what we call low voltage 110/240v plastic coated with a aluminum core, once the outer plastic insulation just has a slight nick caused by the prop coming into contact, whilst you would may not cause a interruption to the supply at this moment, once the insulation has the slightest of cuts or abrasions that line will fail at a later point, due to the atmosphere and rain water ingress coming into contact with the aluminum core causing the core to disintegrate and fail, these type of fault are very difficult to find and repair also expensive, because just looking from the ground nothing looks broken the line is still in the air but there is a break in it somewhere, each length is sectioned until you find the break you can sometimes do a temporary repair to the damaged section but will need to replaced from pole to pole.

Fly your typhoon H with the carbon fibre arms into any bare low voltage or high voltage power lines, and you drone will cease to exist and possibly cause damage to the over head network at the same time.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE DON'T FLY CLOSE TO OVERHEAD ELECTRICITY

What you say might seem logical but no one in their right mind will intentionally fly their drone into a power line. I asked the original question because I did fly my H into a street power line by mistake. It crashed.

I personally saw nothing wrong with asking the question. Obviously people and power lines, in that order, are things we all avoid.

Reactions: DroneClone
CAPS LOCK BROKEN...
FELLOW H PILOTS STOP GETTING ALL DING DONG BRAINED WITH REAL SENSE...REAL SENSE IS A FAIL SAFE DEVICE. EVERYONE IS SO CAUGHT UP CAN IT DO THIS CAN IT DO THAT ETC ETC...JUST FLY SAFELY DONT OVER FORCE THE REAL SENSE TECHNOLOGY JUST BE HAPPY THAT ITS THERE THE NEXT THING SOMEONE IS GOING TO ASK IS WHILE ITS 2PM IN THE AFTERNOON ON A TUESDAY WHILE IM EATING A POPSICLE IN THE RAIN WILL IT AVOID RAIN DROPS??? AND AGAIN FYI CAPS IS BROKEN.

P.S. ON THURSDAYS AT 3PM IT DOESNT DODGE DUST...STARTED TO DO SO AT 3:15 ;)

Reactions: Rayray
THE NEXT THING SOMEONE IS GOING TO ASK IS WHILE ITS 2PM IN THE AFTERNOON ON A TUESDAY WHILE IM EATING A POPSICLE IN THE RAIN WILL IT AVOID RAIN DROPS???

Hmm...Omar is Ramo? Good post.

How about while eating ice cream on Huntington Beach, lol?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz