Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Catch landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all,

We were on a boat the other day and would have love to have flown, we were watching killer whales!

Due to the swell we would not have been able to land on the deck of the boat.

Was wondering if there is a way to have some one grab the legs and then we can shut the motors down?

Any ideas?

yes you can do that there are videos on youtube of people doing that

Reactions: Kris Bates
Hi all,

We were on a boat the other day and would have love to have flown, we were watching killer whales!

Was wondering if there is a way to have some one grab the legs and then we can shut the motors down?

Any ideas?
Ive done on a couole of occasions. Just be cautious and pay attention and you will be fine.

Bill W.

Hi all,

Any ideas?

I KNOW I am setting myself up to be shot down, but I'm a big boy now, so here goes:

I would urge you NOT to engage in hand-catching your Typhoon H since it simply was not intended or designed to be landed that way, and I'm real big on a) following instructions and b) heeding all product warnings a manufacturer believes are necessary to include in order for them to at least diminish their product liability and at most protect the public.

One of the very first things Yuneec warns you about in their instructions about the drone THEY designed is to always AVOID the spinning props, for very apparent reasons. Hand-catching a drone is NOT avoiding the spinning props at all. Instead, it is doing the exact opposite, really. It's purposely putting your body parts - including your precious, irreplaceable eyes - in danger by being way too close to the dangerous parts of an aggressive drone. Yuneec even instructs you and others to stand a proper, safe distance behind the Typhoon before the rotors are even engaged for safety reasons. Why on Earth would anyone choose to negate the protection that warning is intended to give by wilfully ignoring it?

I understand the reasons and penchant some may have for drone hand-catching, but personally I don't ever see myself doing it UNTIL a drone manufacturer explicitly makes a drone with instructions included on how to hand-catch their new drone. To my knowledge, NO drones come with such instructions due to the obvious legal and financial liabilities they would be assuming in doing so. So, if you try hand-catching your drone, go into it knowing that there are NO instructions on how or where to grab your Typhoon safely to do a hand-catch landing, therefore you will have no product/consumer protection policies to fall back on if things go badly. Get hurt doing it and you will receive zero sympathy or care from the drone manufacturer or seller.

Worse yet, imagine the reactions and the looks you will get from the medical personnel on hand patching you up when you try to explain to them - without looking incredibly foolish - just how you hurt yourself.

To me, the thrill or convenience of drone hand-catching is simply not worth the apparent, inherent risks of doing it. If the same rule of the 'luck of fate' that applies to drone flying - "It's not a matter of if but when you will crash" - is applied to drone hand-catching, then it would only take one bad bit of luck on one occasion to seriously ruin your day or perhaps even alter your life. How far you want to press the odds of fate are ultimately up to the individual. But for me, I happen to prefer my 10 fingers, 2 eyes, 1 nose,1 mouth and 1 face not to be on the bargaining table in the first place. In fact, I wouldn't engage in any activity that would carelessly and non-challantly put any of those body parts at risk.

That's why I don't play groin-catch football, either, with or without a cup.

You state that the swells were too big to land the bird on the deck. But you want to try to pick the bird out of the air(AKA hand catch).
I think that if you tried to grab a leg you might break the part that raises the leg it is plastic inside and does not look very strong.

I agree with CC Rider mostly. Where I differ is that if the operator feels comfortable in learning how to hand catch their H, then learn it for emergency situations.

Scenario.. You take off in a park with a few people/animals scattered around. When you take off, it will gather attention and people will want to hover around you. You show them the screen and possibly how well it avoids trees/etc. Your battery runs low and you get the first warning on your H. You start to bring in your H to land, but you have a large crowd with dogs on leashes. You might be lucky in explaining to people that you have to land safely, but some of the smaller children don't listen (No parents around). What do you do? You have heard about hand catching, but haven't practiced it! Now, you are needing to land quick, but can't land safely. You want to, but you are afraid of doing it wrong while under pressure. That's where accidents happen. Not being prepared.

Granted, not everyone will experience this scenario but it could happen! I am not saying that everyone should learn how to hand catch! It's not for everyone. But, when you fly in a public place where people congregate (Like a park), have a backup landing zone that you can control! Again, be prepared so you don't have to resort to hand catch. But, I think if the operator is comfortable and know the consequences of hand catching, they should learn (In safe conditions).

My first question would be..........how do you plan to launch? The gyro/accelerometers need a level stable surface during bootup. The deck of a boat doesn't qualify.
Some people with smaller boats have booted the bird on the pier and then carried it out to the launch point on the boat. That seems to work well.
Another thing you must always consider around water is that RTH will only get the bird close. You have to land in Angle Mode. If anything goes wrong with the controller the bird will trigger RTH and will autoland at sea. There is little hope of being in the right spot to catch it on the way down.

I agree with CC Rider mostly. Where I differ is that if the operator feels comfortable in learning how to hand catch their H, then learn it for emergency situations.

Scenario.. You take off in a park with a few people/animals scattered around. When you take off, it will gather attention and people will want to hover around you. You show them the screen and possibly how well it avoids trees/etc. Your battery runs low and you get the first warning on your H. You start to bring in your H to land, but you have a large crowd with dogs on leashes. You might be lucky in explaining to people that you have to land safely, but some of the smaller children don't listen (No parents around). What do you do? You have heard about hand catching, but haven't practiced it! Now, you are needing to land quick, but can't land safely. You want to, but you are afraid of doing it wrong while under pressure. That's where accidents happen. Not being prepared.

Granted, not everyone will experience this scenario but it could happen! I am not saying that everyone should learn how to hand catch! It's not for everyone. But, when you fly in a public place where people congregate (Like a park), have a backup landing zone that you can control! Again, be prepared so you don't have to resort to hand catch. But, I think if the operator is comfortable and know the consequences of hand catching, they should learn (In safe conditions).

Farggboy raises a valid point. Given the scenario he described, it WOULD be convenient, logical and rational to resort to drone hand-catching if such a situation were to occur to a drone pilot. However, there are also some situations and scenarios that can arise in life that would make even jumping out of a third-floor window seem to be a logical, convenient thing to do, too, like if the building was on fire or a lunatic with a gun was on your heels. But those would be extreme and rare situations that would force an exception to the rule, and the exception should never dictate the general rule itself.

Realistically and accurately speaking, if one were to be properly following the FAA regs and flying guidelines, then such a scenario as described would be even much less likely to occur, as you would not be flying where there are crowds of people or above their heads in the first place for them to come around you later on and distract you, the last thing any drone pilot would want or need, whether in-flight or especially when landing.

Remember, every landing after every flight is actually just a controlled crash. Your full attention should be on bringing that bird back down, as per its design and instructions, with a focus always on safety first, not as a secondary concern.

Some hand catch all the time, but please be careful if you join those ranks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest thing when hand catching is to hold the bird still in the exact position when you grab it until you can shut the motors down completely. ANY movement at all, up, down, sideways, tilt, and the drone is going to do everything it can to compensate to stay in that original position. ( you are going to have your hands full ) that, said. On the ground it's easy to do. On a boat with any movement at all your motors and esc's are going to go crazy pulling you every which way.

Later Tom

Some hand catch all the time, but please be careful if you join those ranks.

I gotta admit that I almost always hand catch my Phantom simply because it has, in the past, so demonstrated it's almost unwavering ability to fall over onto it's props in anything but the lightest of breezes. On the other hand (no pun intended) I have never yet hand caught my TH. Two very distinct aircraft with a correspondingly distinct landing characteristics. My H loves to land on the ground and stay upright, but my Phantom loves to land and tip over.

So, having never hand caught my H I have no experience of it. I gotta say, though, that if I ever do attempt it, it's gonna be a beast to control.

Hi all,

Any ideas?
not worth it , you may be making a visit to your local emergency room .

Don't listen to these old Nancys, grow a pair, get yourself a welders glove if you're afraid, go out and catch that bird big boy. LOL

There it is! THIS is the kind of enlightened response I expected my post to engender!

Thanks for finally showing up and for NOT disappointing!! I was worried I had either missed you or misread the situation. Glad to know I was right. I just wasn't being patient enough!

"Nancys." Man, how long has it been since I heard that one! How totally misanthropic and homophobic of you, not to mention being completely politically incorrect in today's climate.

And talking about a pair, you must really have one set on you! Most folks would be leery of talking the way you do these days, let alone put it in print. But not you!! YOU went for it.

Now that I know you're out there, please consider putting up a NFZ around you and your thinking. I do not want to be in either your airspace or your headspace.

Reactions: Guest22
There it is! THIS is the kind of enlightened response I expected my post to engender!
Thanks for finally showing up and for NOT disappointing!! I was worried I had either missed you or misread the situation. Glad to know I was right. I just wasn't being patient enough!
"Nancys." Man, how long has it been since I heard that one! How totally misanthropic and homophobic of you, not to mention being completely politically incorrect in today's climate.
And talking about a pair, you must really have one set on you! Most folks would be leery of talking the way you do these days, let alone put it in print. But not you!! YOU went for it.
Now that I know you're out there, please consider putting up a NFZ around you and your thinking. I do not want to be in either your airspace or your headspace.

I love this stuff!!

Have to admit I lean toward SkyDoctor's perspective (even the adorably base presentation ;~). I want to believe we're all big boys and girls here, and that we can all imagine the consequences of screwing up while catching a hefty drone with six rapidly spinning props that wants to get the **** away from you the second you grab onto it.

If you have those consequences firmly in mind as you reach up to make the catch, by all means go for it. As I've said before: it's no more dangerous than using a power tool, but you need to understand what's likely to happen if you mess it up.

Hi all,

Any ideas?
this may be a fake photo but this is what mite happen .finger.jpg

... it's gonna be a beast to control ...

I was really nervous when I first tried catching mine, but it was surprisingly anticlimactic. Burned through almost a whole battery trying out "what-ifs," and came away quite comfortable with the process.

I was really nervous when I first tried catching mine, but it was surprisingly anticlimactic. Burned through almost a whole battery trying out "what-ifs," and came away quite comfortable with the process.
Good to know if ever the event arises that I have to had catch the H. As I've said previously, I've not had to do it yet, but I suppose the need may arise in some sort of emergency.
I'm very comfortable hand catching the Phantom, but that is a smaller and much lighter beast than the H.

Google - drone injury's, the images look as though someone attacked them with a razor blade utility knife. Do not catch the flying food processor.

Reactions: CC Rider
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430