Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3 App for Android - worked...now broke on Nexus 7 - SOLVED

based on my experience with MY devices, I would concur. A bug that crept in from Android v 6.0 to 6.0.1 or....crept in at the last gimbal update. I'm not sure.

Now the question is...how to report it to the programmers and how to get Yuneec to view this as high enough priority to fix pronto and release new firmware.

(Yes I called Yuneec CS in Cali, they took the 50 flavors of Android compatibility stance and said to wait until the next update and it may be fixed)

But of course they would not tie themselves down to a projected date of the update, right? Like you I want this handheld for
interior shooting to tie to using the H for realtors, to provide a comprehensive solution. If I wanted to get a separate camera,
I could have gone with the Actiongrip Pro with a CGO4. I wonder if the CGO4 app is as difficult to connect to that camera.

based on my experience with MY devices, I would concur. A bug that crept in from Android v 6.0 to 6.0.1 or....crept in at the last gimbal update. I'm not sure.

Now the question is...how to report it to the programmers and how to get Yuneec to view this as high enough priority to fix pronto and release new firmware.

(Yes I called Yuneec CS in Cali, they took the 50 flavors of Android compatibility stance and said to wait until the next update and it may be fixed)

Wait are you updating the android version on the st 16?

One experiment could be to install cgo app on the st16 and see if it will connect to the camera via wifi. If it does then we can conclude its an android operating system issue of compatibility and we need android versions that match 4.3 or whatever is installed on the st16 tablet if it works.

Wait are you updating the android version on the st 16?
No. I consider changing anything on the ST16 a bit too risky. I need the ground station intact and don't want to risk breaking it.
One experiment could be to install cgo app on the st16 and see if it will connect to the camera via wifi. If it does then we can conclude its an android operating system issue of compatibility and we need android versions that match 4.3 or whatever is installed on the st16 tablet if it works.

I agree, only chose instead to do the test using the Nexus since that has no downside if it gets hosed.

So....

I decided to restore my Nexus 7 to an older stock image of Android. Actually had to flash it by unlocking the bootloader and applying a downloaded image. This isn't the forum to explain the steps in doing that but at the end of the process I had a fresh clean 4.3 version of Android.

upload_2016-12-17_23-52-1.png

I then installed CGO3 app from Play Store, connected to CGO WiFi and uuuughhhhh

same "error"...then the app crashes. huh....I really thought that was gonna work. Next up. I'll apply a version 4.4.4 image as that is the exact version of Android as my ST16.

So....

I decided to restore my Nexus 7 to an older stock image of Android. Actually had to flash it by unlocking the bootloader and applying a downloaded image. This isn't the forum to explain the steps in doing that but at the end of the process I had a fresh clean 4.3 version of Android.

View attachment 4382

I then installed CGO3 app from Play Store, connected to CGO WiFi and uuuughhhhh

same "error"...then the app crashes. huh....I really thought that was gonna work. Next up.
I'll apply a version 4.4.4 image as that is the exact version of Android as my ST16.

Call Yuneec... since they cry like little girls behind the Android version compatibility clause,
they can at least f'n tell you which specific version of Android *will* work with the CGO3 app.
It does not inspire confidence when the latest release note of the app is: "Fixed some problems."

Last edited:
Call Yuneec... since they cry like little girls behind the Android version compatibility clause,
they can at least f'n tell you which specific version of Android *will* work with the CGO3 app.
It does not inspire confidence when the latest release note of the app is: "Fixed some problems."
Lol!!!! You would think version compatibility information would be readily available. However, I have made that dreaded call to support and honestly, I'm confident I could figure it out quicker than they could tell me. I also didn't want to wait until Monday.

So since v4.3 did NOT work and my ST16 is running v4.4.4. I downloaded that stock image and applied.

upload_2016-12-18_0-25-45.png

Nope!!! No luck. Same ascii eyeballs (or ta ta's) staring at me and the app crashes.
upload_2016-12-18_0-27-28.png

on to a version 5.....

this is exactly what I did with the Google Nexus 7 for the two days I had it... though for me it never worked with the app.
Same screen each time, and along with trying tweeks like setting to 5.8 GHz only, and setting static IP (took forever to even
find that setting, as I've never really had to dig into the Android OS before); kept letting different version upgrades go through
and reinstalling the app, hoping one of the later versions would solve the issue. Started at 4.3 and gave up trying at 6.01.

If this Teclast tablet I'm getting works with the app I'm immediately (with your help, please :)) going to lock the version,
until I have some empirical real world evidence that a future upgrade requires a different version. I'm hoping this 2nd tablet works...
Chinese Drone - Chinese Tablet. No racism intended, but mebbe they'll communicate better?

Last edited:
Perhaps a silly question but are you sure you have the latest CGO app?
It works fine on my phones and tablet with no issues. I am using a Samsung Note 5, and Tab A as well as a Moto X phone.

Also if you're running US firmware on craft you must use US tablet and for Euro firmware on craft, a Euro tablet.

Perhaps a silly question but are you sure you have the latest CGO app?
Not a silly question. Yes. After Nexus 7 is factory imaged, it is connected to my WiFi and the current Play Store version of CGO3 is installed.

upload_2016-12-18_14-8-37.png

upload_2016-12-18_14-8-56.png
It works fine on my phones and tablet with no issues. I am using a Samsung Note 5, and Tab A as well as a Moto X phone.
Understood. CGO3 app works with my MotoX also. But I don't want to use my phone for the Steady Cam. The issue is the dedicated screen for the Steady Cam was the Nexus 7. Which has been working for months without a problem. Now it is not; and the theory is it is an Android OS update issue. However that theory is slowly proving untrue.

Had some issues with an Android v5 image. Skipped it for now and installed a factory Android v6 image. I KNOW this version worked as this is the version I was running for months.
upload_2016-12-18_14-17-50.png

and once again downloaded latest CGO3 app from Play Store, connected to CGO3+ WiFi and ran app.

FAIL!!!!!

I am now at the point I don't think this is NOT an Android version issue. I think its a gimbal firmware issue. I suppose I need to roll back the gimbal firmware now to test.....hmmm...

Zen, don't know if you saw this thread/forum:

Issue with connecting CGO3 to my ipad

Maybe the latest app update, not the gimble update...

That's it!!! Rolling back the gimbal update was proving difficult anyway. I didn't want to roll back everything on the TH and it seemed a very risky 'possible' solution. but....Installing an earlier version of the App....of course, that's makes way more sense.

Uninstalled the Play Store version, v0.1.0.0062
Rebooted.
Installed version CGO3_vV0.1.0.0057 on current image which was Android 6.0.
upload_2016-12-19_13-19-29.png

And it worked!!!!

of course then the App took an update and it broke again.

But me being me, I decided to then update the Android OS to the latest and greatest via OS update including security patches, so I could rule out the Android OS solution.

upload_2016-12-19_13-26-45.png

and then I manually installed (or sideloaded) CGO3_vV0.1.0.0057. This time ensuring I set all apps to NOT take an automated updated. Note: This is really an important step.

upload_2016-12-19_13-34-27.png

and...still works.

Although the video feed is crazy delayed, more that it ever has been. But that's better than no video I suppose.

I don't mean to add to the confusion but last night I tried the SteadyGrip + CGO3+ and the CGO app version v0.1.0.0062 with my Samsung S7edge and had no difficulties. I was fully expecting to have to uninstall v.062 and replace it with v.057 but it wasn't necessary. The S7edge is running Android 6.0.1.

Reactions: Ralphy
I don't mean to add to the confusion but last night I tried the SteadyGrip + CGO3+ and the CGO app version v0.1.0.0062 with my Samsung S7edge and had no difficulties. I was fully expecting to have to uninstall v.062 and replace it with v.057 but it wasn't necessary. The S7edge is running Android 6.0.1.

Its good to know, one more compatible device and operating system combo.

I tried this too - and the CGO3 app ( v 0062) also worked OK on my fone a Galaxy Note 3 ( Android 5.0); however, if you switch off the Steadygrip & switch it back on, the fone won't sync back automatically to the CGO network & you have to bugger around manually to get it to re-sync.
Nor will it run on my Samsung tablet properly - it opens for about 1/2 a second when you click on 'camera' & then shuts down??

Last edited:
You may need to try manually installing one of the older APK files as described here, to get it to run on the Samsung.
I finally received the tablet that I hope will work with the CGO3 app, but it will be next week before I will get my cameras
back from upgrading to try it.

I had it working fine on my Samsung Note 5 then 2 days ago I received my Google Pixel XL. Now I keep getting a Network not connected . I looks like it connects then drops the connection. The Pixel is running Android 7

Since Google and Android collaborate to market Play Store, I'm sure any Google branded tablet will be Android based.
You should be able to check the version in your tablet settings. Does the Pixel run 5.8 GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n ?

OK, my 6 week journey through the CGO penal system is now complete and I have been released from TaTa prison.

The Teclast P80 tablet will work with the v0057 apk file... as with many others, the current version will not work.

Yuneec chose to recently update the IOS version of this app (when far less issues have been reported with
the IOS version). Why the android version issues have not been addressed, can only be answered from
Yuneec themselves.

Got it all working here now. I'm UK based but running us firmware. This means the camera wifi will not be seen by our UK phones. So I took a plunge a bought a us tablet (a rather nice Samsung galaxy view 18.5") not knowing if it would work or not.
When it arrived the tablet connected to UK WiFi no problems.
When i went searching for the cgo3 app I got a "this app will not work on your device" message, so i just googled the apk and installed. I then tried connecting the camera. WiFi would connect but the app would crash. So I unistalled and searched for an older apk. I downgraded the app and hey presto everything works!
I now have an 18" display for clients to watch through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval