Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3 camera not connecting in cold

Reaction score
Hi

I've been flying Typhoon H without a camera in my back yard during this winter and it works OK. But when trying with the camera and temperature is around freezing point (or lower) then there's problem with WiFi connecting. If I turn the drone on indoors, camera wifi connects OK. But once it's been out for some time then WiFi stops working. Like once I took it out in a trunk of my car and then calibrate a compass before flying. After calibration restarting the drone and WiFi didn't connect anymore (temperature -4C/24F). Same thing happened when changed battery after the first flight when WiFI worked when brought indoors to 0C/32F. The manual gives temp range -5 to 80, doesn't says is Fahrenheit or Celcius but 0 to -4 celsius is in the range.

So the question is that do you have same kind of experience when flying in cold weather. Asked this from Yuneec EU and this is what they said:

"It is really necessary that if you want to fly in cold weather conditions that everything has to be pr warmed.

Special the remote and battery. I could happend that some components may not work right if you take it direct into the cold."

So how do I get any pics during winter some where else than my backyard?

Unfortunately, I've been left to having to fly my Typhoon in cold weather as you describe since I first got it 2 months ago and I've flown during even lower temps, too. I've never had a problem with the H flying in such conditions. And if you check out some of the photos and videos posted here, you will see that the Typhoon is hardy enough to handle extreme weather pretty fine. You will notice far less battery flight time in low temperatures due to the chemical makeup of the LiPo battery itself, but that's about it.

You could easily have another problem causing your intermittent WiFi/camera connection problem, from something as simple as the camera mount contacts not making a good connection to a software issue. Recently I was having the exact same problem you're having and I even called Yuneec to discuss it, which they diagnosed as a dead camera that needed to be shipped back to them for repairs. But determined to avoid shipping it back for repairs, I fiddled around with my camera mount gimbal assembly two nights ago for a bit and got my H to go online again.

Took it out to fly yesterday and the darn thing wouldn't connect yet again, same problem. Frustrated, I took apart the camera mount at my flight location and finally saw the problem: one single mount contact was failing to spring back up into proper position, it was in effect "stuck" downward. Took out my pen knife, corrected the contact's position, and I flew until nightfall without problems.

I'd suggest first doing a search of the Forum threads for the many answers you can find to most common problems, including connection issues (use the magnifying glass icon at the upper right of the forum page to do a search). Digest what you can from what pops up, get a better understanding of what you are dealing with, and see if you can manage fixing it yourself. You'll save yourself some time and energy and learn more about your Typhoon in the process, which is a real plus. You cannot know too much about this aircraft.

If that doesn't work, then ask louder for help in the forum again, tell them you've looked at posts about it to no avail, and I'm sure you will get assistance from someone who can help you or direct you to the right answer. I know you're probably very unhappy with not being able to rely on your Typhoon when you want to use it. That's a lousy feeling. But hopefully the solution to your problem is a simple one - as they often are - that can easily be corrected. If not, I'm assuming you're still covered by your Yuneec warranty period. Right now they claim a 7-10 business day repair turnaround time, not too bad if you end up having to ship it out for help.

Good luck with your situation. Send up another flare if you need more help.

First determine if the problem is with the H or the ST-16. With both units at room temperature take the H outside in the cold and leave the ST-16 inside in the warm. If it works then you will know the problem is with the ST-16. Reverse the process to verify where the problem is. You can then send in the problematic unit to get it repaired. It is most likely a component in the camera or in the ST-16 WiFi board. I just had one of my ST-16 WiFi board replaced because it lost connection with the camera and would no connect to any of my 3 cameras.

Reactions: CC Rider
It's fairly simple to check the camera wifi operation. My phone and also my Samsung Tab 4 are dual wifi enabled, meaning it can pick up 2.4 and 5.8 GHz wifi signals. I downloaded a free wifi analyzer app to check the signal from the camera which is in the 5.8GHz range. I've flown in a lot of winter weather and never had an issue although I sometimes go to System Settings to select the camera and then press bind. It's always worked so far.
This is what the signal looks like from 2 different cameras.

Attachments

• Q500 Camera Wifi.png
    Q500 Camera Wifi.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 7

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss