Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3 camera still photo quality setting

Reaction score
Hey Pilots,

I recall I read certain post a while before saying that the still photo quality is related with the video setting. I can't clearly remember the exact criteria but somethings like you have to set the video mode to highest resolution and highest quality or otherwise the still image will be in lower resolution/ degraded...

Can anyone remind these , or this is no longer true in latest November firmware?

Thanks!

The highest resolution photos will be obtained when video is set to 4k. You can verify this by performing a simple experiment shooting JPG if you want.

Set the video to 1080 and switch to camera mode. Snap a photo. It will be formatted at roughly 16/9 and be about 1.8 to 2 megs.

Now set video to 4k and switch to camera mode. Snap a photo. It will be formatted roughly 4/3 and and 5 to 5.3 megs.

You can do this on the ground if you want. You don't have to be flying. BTW, this site will accept the 16/9 photos but will not upload the 4/3 format. It's a software thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

today I just test again the photo button during video shooting, find that the photo button doesn't work whatever in which video mode I'm in.

Set the video resolution in the video mode. Forget about video mode after that. Use the tool function to select camera mode. That's the the icon that looks like a regular camera on the ST-16 screen. Use the shutter button on the lower left side of the screen to shoot photos. Adjust white balance, ISO, and shutter using the camera control functions on the left side of the ST-16 screen and/or the left side trim tabs.

If you want to shoot photos do not place the ST-16 in video mode, place it in camera mode. Do not press and hold down either the camera or video button. They don't work that way. They work like a camera where a quick press and release triggers shutter or starts/stops video.

You can snap a photo with the ST-16 in video mode but it will always render in a 1080, 16/9 format if you do.

Last edited:
The highest resolution photos will be obtained when video is set to 4k. You can verify this by performing a simple experiment shooting JPG if you want.

Set the video to 1080 and switch to camera mode. Snap a photo. It will be formatted at roughly 16/9 and be about 1.8 to 2 megs.

Now set video to 4k and switch to camera mode. Snap a photo. It will be formatted roughly 4/3 and and 5 to 5.3 megs.

Curious is the same theory for the Typhoon 4k?

I don't have a Typhoon 4k but do have a CGO-3 Chroma, which uses the same camera and ST-10+ controller as the 4k Typhoon. The answer is yes, but it is not a theory, it's a fact.

Since I had my Pixaero installed I have done mostly still photos. There isn't much to learn from the manual and YouTube has little or nothing about the best settings for stills. So here is what I came up with after several different setting combinations were tested: As was rightly pointed out, the highest resolution photos is in camera, not video. In camera there is no need to go manual. The camera will always choose the lowest ISO - almost always 100 - unless you are in a low light environment. - The finished photo easily prints out 20x15.

I watched your video. I have the Typhoon 4k CGO3. It will not allow you to take a picture in video mode if the resolution is below 1920x1080 120fps. I noticed you were set at 60fps. You have to stop Video Recording, switch to Photo Mode in order to take pictures in 1920x1080 60fps and less.

But I did notice in the last few seconds you ran up the resolution. It seems strange that it would not take the photo. The Typhoon 4k CGO3 will do that.

Reference:

Video Mode Sheeta.jpg

Last edited:
I have tested taking photo in 3840x2160 30fps, which was my default video shooting resolution, and that doesn't work too.

Pushing that button over and over reminds me of something Einstein mentioned about definitions.

You have to stop recording video to snap a still, same as you would with a hand held camera.

PatR, I just want to check out the reason how come my system can't take the photo in video mode while those documents and some user show they works.

I have two H's and three cameras. With all of mine video has to be stopped to snap a still picture when in video mode. Video mode and video recording are two different things. We can shoot stills all day long in video mode if that's what we want to do. If others can snap a still when video is recording I'm not aware of it. Perhaps it's possible? Obtaining a screen grab is something I do during play back on the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430