Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3+ Stock Camera Mod

I may not want to fiddle with my stock lens. It seems pretty decent to me. Check out this picture of trees and Mt. Rainier at 400 ft. elev. and give me your opinion.
Yeah, you already showed this image and I'll say again that I think this looks great. I would not change my lens based on this shot. Would like to see some video and more than just this shot but yeah, this looks better than most, including mine. My second one still hasn't seen the air yet but when I do, if I have a quality image and video, I wouldn't mess with it. As it stands, I use the H for flying and occasionally a picture if its an amazing shot and I happen to be flying it. But in the meantime, right now I am getting much better images from my P4, Inspire with x5 and x3 or even my P3P if I am being honest. I love flying it. It's a wholly different experience but that wore off pretty quick so my first one has been relegated to pretty much no use and the second one I hope is better. It was after all, sent to me for review by Yuneec so I would hope they would send me a good one. Maybe it's got a great image. Who knows? If not, I'm hoping that a lens replacement will make this a serviceable unit.

So if my stock lens provided an image like that (including video), I wouldn't touch it.

As soon as I send the second one in the air (probably this weekend in Carlsbad), I'll post my results and you guys can tell me what you think.

What are you guys finding the best image quality at? What settings? I NEVER ask people about settings but I'm go ahead and ask in this situation as I can't get a very good looking image out of my first H no matter what I do.

First impressions... modified lens 3.97mm f/2.8 82d HFOV from Peau including lens holder.
Color profile: Natural
White balance: Sunset
ISO:800 / Shutter speed: 1/30 - 25fps

More coming soon, I appreciate your comments.

Nice stuff. Dusseldorf is where the inventors of electronic dance music are from. Kraftwerk (been around since 1967) and I just saw them at the Hollywood Bowl last week.

Last edited:
Skip all of that pain and just get an inspire with an X5 or X5r. with the X5 you get a superior camera with higher bitrates and a bigger sensor that uses decent interchangeable lenses that actually have an aperture and you can focus inflight. The H is NOT a production machine no matter what all the fanboys say and Yuneec claims

Yuneec has never made any claims that the Typhoon H is a "production machine", and, as far as I am aware, neither have any "fanboys". The DJI Phantom series (including the P4), the Yuneec Q500, and similar drones are concerned, these are purly consumer-level products, whereas the Inspire & Tornado are platforms which reach into the professional level. The Typhoon H would be classified as a "prosumer-grade" product, and, for what it is, it is quite good. It's only real problem, as pointed out by countless others, is the quality of its lens. Additionally (and this also goes out to "keiths"), what I am considering is NOT "entering Inspire territory"...and least not in regards to price...and an Inspire 1 with an X5 camera runs $3,400. For that price, I could have two Typhoon Hs...one with the Peau Productions 3.97mm lens, and the other with the 8.25mm lens.

As you so clearly pointed out, yourself, the Typhoon H is "targeted at hobbyist not professionals", but it's still better than DJI's Phanton line. Yes, the Phantom 4 has a better lens than what Yuneec used on the Typhoon H, but the CCD is the exact same, only requiring a lens swap to improve the clarity. When one looks at the whole, the benefits of the Typhoon H far outweigh the benefits of the Phantom. Once I'm ready to move into the professional category...IF that day comes...then, and only then, will I consider DJI's Inspire line, Yuneec's Tornado line, or whatever else is equivalent. However, until that day comes, you're more than welcome to take your "high & mighty" upturned-nose attitude, and...well...you know what you can do with it.

I am looking at the same setup. I have alrady ordered a CGO3+ with the 8.25 fitted and if I am hapy with that will buy the 3.97mm lens for my original camera or if something in the rabge of 5mm comes out by then I would consider that.
I ordered early September and was a surprised to be told it would be October befire despatch as I did not see that note on the ordering page that I was later directed to. Still, October is nearly here though it could be a long month ;)

October _might_ be "a long month"...but just think how happy November & December will be.

Reactions: OnTheRopes
Instead of SteadyCam/Grip, I'm going with the new Sony X3000 action camera for handheld 4k shots. Check it out. Optical image stabilization at 4k and time lapse photography appeal to me.

I understand, and agree with, the interest in the time-lapse, but, when it comes to editing & color correction, that's where using the same camera holds the advantage. Under the same lighting conditions, your workload will be more than doubled. Not only will you have color correcting to do from video shot from both cameras, but, in attempting to color-match the videos from each, that will be quite difficult. In using the same cameras (which lens is being used would have almost no, if any at all, effect), whatever color corrections are needed for the aerial footage would be almost identical to those needed for the ground-based footage. For the 2015 National Night Out video I shot, I used two different cameras for the aerial & ground footage, and the color editing was a major pain. For the 2016 video, I used the CGO3+ for both, and the color corrections were far, far easier.

Reactions: OnTheRopes
I have managed to focus the pixaero lens now. Unfortunately the current weather in the UK is not the best for flying and giving it s fair test. Thanks for the mention panther though I am not sure why ?

I have managed to focus the pixaero lens now. Unfortunately the current weather in the UK is not the best for flying and giving it s fair test. Thanks for the mention panther though I am not sure why ?

On page 3 of the comments, you replied "Getting into inspire x5 territory there, and would be vastly superior pics and video." to something I posted. I realize that the X5 produces superior video/photos, when compared against the CGO3+ (and the camera on DJI's Phantom 4, for that matter). If someone was interested in purchasing an Inspire 1, I could see getting one with an included X5/X5R as an excellent choice. Unfortunately, when purchased as an "upgrade" (to an Inspire 1 w/ X3), the X5 is overpriced, and isn't truly worth it when compared to the X3.

Looking at things in a different sort of direction, let's say you have a Canon EOS-1D X, or a Nikon D4S, along with the best lenses ever released...just because the EOS-1D X Mark II, or D5 is released, with a number of improvements (some huge, some minor), would it really be worth it to you to fork out an another $6,000-6,500 for the newer camera body (even knowing you could sell the old/used body, albeit for...if you're lucky...1/4 to 1/3 the original purchase price)? The obvious answer is "no". You'd continue using the camera body you already had. On the other hand, if you didn't already have a high-end DSLR, and were purchasing one, then you'd probably consider both the "older" & "newer" models, as their prices are close enough to each other to not make any huge difference. The people who purchased the Inspire 1 w/ X3, and have purchased the X5, are either crazy, or have a huge amount of money to throw away.

On page 3 of the comments, you replied "Getting into inspire x5 territory there, and would be vastly superior pics and video." to something I posted. I realize that the X5 produces superior video/photos, when compared against the CGO3+ (and the camera on DJI's Phantom 4, for that matter). If someone was interested in purchasing an Inspire 1, I could see getting one with an included X5/X5R as an excellent choice. Unfortunately, when purchased as an "upgrade" (to an Inspire 1 w/ X3), the X5 is overpriced, and isn't truly worth it when compared to the X3.

Looking at things in a different sort of direction, let's say you have a Canon EOS-1D X, or a Nikon D4S, along with the best lenses ever released...just because the EOS-1D X Mark II, or D5 is released, with a number of improvements (some huge, some minor), would it really be worth it to you to fork out an another $6,000-6,500 for the newer camera body (even knowing you could sell the old/used body, albeit for...if you're lucky...1/4 to 1/3 the original purchase price)? The obvious answer is "no". You'd continue using the camera body you already had. On the other hand, if you didn't already have a high-end DSLR, and were purchasing one, then you'd probably consider both the "older" & "newer" models, as their prices are close enough to each other to not make any huge difference. The people who purchased the Inspire 1 w/ X3, and have purchased the X5, are either crazy, or have a huge amount of money to throw away.

Or want the advantages of the M43 sensor or even more so what to be able to have interchangeable lenses with a true aperture control or how about an actual raw mode? those are all reasons that your argument falls apart

Or want the advantages of the M43 sensor or even more so what to be able to have interchangeable lenses with a true aperture control or how about an actual raw mode? those are all reasons that your argument falls apart
Yeah but where he is right is that the X3 and X5 are both going to produce a very compressed h.264 final and that makes them pretty similar and in the same league as all the other cameras as far as being for anything other than broadcast. I keep hearing you guys say the Inspire is in line with the Tornado. Not true because the Tornado, with the mini GH4, shoots raw and for the Inspire to do that, it needs the X5R. The X5R Inspire 1 is the only one that is a "production machine" or on par with the Tornado. When you are dealing with finals, they must be a production quality codec and the P4 camera (essentially an X3 doesnt), the Inspire with an X3, X5 doesn't. You need to put an X5R on the Inspire to make it even close.

Pixaero, Refocused, Overcast day so not the perfect shooting day. 100 iso, video to follow

Attachments

• mineries 2.jpg
    mineries 2.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: Jussaguy
Pixaero, Refocused, Overcast day so not the perfect shooting day. 100 iso, video to follow
Not bad. Am I crazy or do I see a little fish eye on that though? It appears that the horizon and the image, while nice, needs to be corrected for fish eye, however slight.

It might be an optical illusion if the hills in the back just happen to have a high point dead center and the hill on the bottom playing along with that playing tricks on my mind.

Hi, Probably not as this is the top of a hill and you are seeing the hill drop of to the right with a slight one to the left. Only way to be absolutely sure would be for me to pop to the seaside. (not til the weekend at least). Will do that sometime in case there is a little fish eye. I will then know the correction to apply, as there is no pre-set in photoshop for it i.e. none standard lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussaguy
Hi, Probably not as this is the top of a hill and you are seeing the hill drop of to the right with a slight one to the left. Only way to be absolutely sure would be for me to pop to the seaside. (not til the weekend at least). Will do that sometime in case there is a little fish eye. I will then know the correction to apply, as there is no pre-set in photoshop for it i.e. none standard lens.

Viewed from phone but looks very promising indeed!

I'm getting a VERY strong impression that you are not comprehending the differences between "pro-sumer" and "professional" products. If you did, then you would see how my "argument" does NOT "fall apart".

here we have old CGO3 lens +sensor CGO3 Camera Is just a high priced security camera

and here we have CGO3+ lens+sensor at 7:29min

looks like yuneec was start putting old lens+sensors from CGO3 to CGO3+ cam in Typhoon H as ppl reporting glued lens without thread :)

the reason why Yuneec put a barrel without threads was because Yuneec Did not like the Video BO and I did to the whole lens swap.

Reactions: BillyTexas

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis