Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

1. banned user

Has anyone found a lens hood or made one for the CGO3P?

2. Brandon Lowe

This would be a nice addition. It would have to be very light as to not mess up the gimbal balance.

3. banned user

Actually I wonder now if it's a good idea, imagine flying forward even with no wind, thats a 45kph wind acting on it, it could act like a sail, catching the wind and ripping the gimbal off...it would have to be used with lots of caution..

4. Brandon Lowe

Just needs to be a shade with lots of open areas on the sides to let air out but I see where your coming from. I think I will let others try it first.

banned user likes this.
  5. JCFlippen

I have made one out of a Tesco shaving cream can domed plastic top.

banned user likes this.
  6. Graham

I was looking at a French Dressing bottle top but I thought it might give vinaigretting.:)

CAPTAINDRONE, jaykay2, Tuna and 2 others like this.
  7. Rayray

Rayray Moderator
    Staff Member

Yikes, first story teller doesn't stand a chance here.
    How about Ranch Dressing for MOOING around.

8. banned user

You're just trying to milk it

Rayray likes this.
  9. Sparkorc

I made a lens hood from a old pocket diary cover which was made of soft plastic, and fitted it to a gopro hero 3 black edition which was installed on a zemuse gimbal, this worked really well eliminating prop shadow, jellow, and shielding from direct sun light flaring, I intend to try this on my CGO3+ camera sometime the only difficulty I can foresee is the shape of the camera and lens, looking at the polar pro nd filter the actual circumference is larger which would make it easier to attach a home made lens hood, the previous one I made was secured with a small strip of magic tape and the whole thing weighed next to nothing it protruded from the lens about 5mm at the top and cut at a angle just above the half way mark of the lens.

10. Rayray

Rayray Moderator
    Staff Member

All right, a straight man, mweir. On with the show.

banned user likes this.
  11. banned user

I did exactly the same on my go-pro on a zenmuse gimbal, but I'm really worried about the aerodynamics of putting an open bucket on ball camera. The zenmuse/go-pro was about as aerodynamic as a brick and it could take a lot of abuse. The CGO3P I suspect is a bit more sensitive, (and a better gimbal).
    I'm thinking whatever it is will have to break at a very low force so the hood breaks itself or breaks off the gimbal long before it puts notable strain onto the gimbal. Maybe a light plastic sheet like that from a notebook, with the seal joining the two ends of the hood just barely holding then together might be safe or a trap door..if you like, so the larger top or bottom section is stuck onto the rest and is only very lightly held on.

12. JCFlippen

I have tried this crude prototype. Works well to a point but as you state it may be introducing vibrations in wind. Will be doing further tests. Produced from part of a shaving cream can's plastic top. Did not have any matte black paint so used a bit of gaffer tape. This increases weight a fraction.

Attached Files:

banned user likes this.
  13. Sparkorc

I would try cutting the sides down at a angle it does not need to be straight, also you may get away with removing more of the overhang over the lens, when I done one for my gopro I was surprised how much I had to remove in trial and error flights, I would also say that only use a flexible plastic for the hood, anything rigid in a crash will cause far greater damage, also keeping the size to a bare minimum its not going to cause to much drag on the gimbal, from your first picture it looks like black gaffer tape I would be inclined to only use magic tape its lighter and would also break off easier than gaffer tape if you was unfortunate to hit something.

#13 Sparkorc, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  14. JCFlippen

I made that in a hurry! Now going for the mk.2 as it is raining today. Just bought some matte black paint. Taking your points on board.

15. Airtography

Looks like someone found something. Not very large, may be just what's needed -- but can't find the link to the product yet.

16. jaykay2

17. Airtography

18. jaykay2

It says they ship Worldwide, only €6.90 to USA

19. Airtography

Thanks for the reference -- I've found the page but it's all in German and I see no option for shipping to the US. Also, when searching on my EBAY US site, it's not found. I also looked for a way to change the German Site to English -- but don't see that option either -- very strange.

20. jaykay2

IF you look at the website in Google Chrome it automatically offers to translate the page