Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Charging ST16 with powerbank?

Reaction score
Hi, is it ok and safe to charge the ST16 with a powerbank i.e Deltaco 20000mAh / USBx3 5V 1+1+1A.or just use it as an additional battery when flying?
deltaco.png

Reactions: anthony h-ellary
The ST16 doesn't care what supplies the charging current -- the official charger, an aftermarket one, a computer's USB port etc.

I have a AData power bank and have used it experimentally to charge the ST16. I didn't fully charge the ST16 with the power bank, but observed that the charging symbols appeared.

no problems

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It should be specified by the manufacturer.

USB 1.1 and 2.0 were specified as supplying 0.5A maximum. USB 3.0 can supply 0.9A, so the 1A rating of the ports on the Deltaco is above spec, but unlikely to cause any problems.

If your powerbank can charge an iPad (and I suspect it can), then it must actually supply quite a bit more current, since that requires 2.1A. My Adata also supplies 2.1A. I do not know what the port on the Yuneec charger puts out, but when I get home I will conduct a quick test and see if it will charge my iPad -- if it does, it must supply at least 2.1A, in which case the concern about keeping the charge rate below 1.5A is moot.

It is snd it isn't. Ideal charge rate for a Li-in is .7C, but Li-on's can be safely charged at a higher rate, but always at the expense of capacity. A higher charge rate puts less ma back into the battery for the charge cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was addressing potential safety concerns -- if Yuneec considers the OEM charger safe for use with the ST16, a powerbank putting out the same current would be safe, too.

I have confirmed that the Yuneec charger's USB port will charge my iPad without displaying a insufficient charging current warning. That means it supplies at least 2.1A, so the powerbank in question is safe for use with the ST16.

I have confirmed that the Yuneec charger's USB port will charge my iPad without displaying a insufficient charging current warning. That means it supplies at least 2.1A, so the powerbank in question is safe for use with the ST16.
Thanx THolf! :)

I use a large Anker powerbank, in a nice mesh bag with a short usb cable included.
you can fix the powerbank to the back of the ST16 and connect with the short lead and run it fo a couple of days before it runs out if you wanted to.
Shame that you cannot charge the LiPo batts with one. Or can you, any one know a way?

I use a large Anker powerbank, in a nice mesh bag with a short usb cable included.
you can fix the powerbank to the back of the ST16 and connect with the short lead and run it fo a couple of days before it runs out if you wanted to.
Shame that you cannot charge the LiPo batts with one. Or can you, any one know a way?
I charge the ST16 with my powerbank just by connecting them together. Look at the battery charge symbol if it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech