Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Charging ST16

Over discharging a lithium chemistry battery can cause cells to sustain damage that prevents charging them back to a full charge. It can also cause damage that increases internal resistance, where they may quickly discharge after being charged and returned to use. All too often lithium chemistry battery failures are induced by users that don't understand how they must be used.

The message here is to take the initiative and learn about the differences between lithium chemistries, how each is most effectively used, and the usage limits of each type. Read the battery label carefully to identify the type. Don't assume because a quick glance caught the word lithium or the abbreviation Li.

That info has been published by many manufacturers and distributors and can be easily found in a Google search.

Lithium polymer and lithium ion are not the same chemistry, just as li-on and li-fe are not the same. They all contain lithium but they are very different from each other and are handled and perform differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a search and could not find the answer to a question I have so thought I would ask it here. I have the Hitec X2 AC Plus charger, I have picked up an extra ST16 Battery and the correct EC2 leads. The Hitec charger does charge LiIon cells but only goes down to two cells. The LiPo section however does go down to one cell. I noticed Gwhuntoon's reply in post #17 of this thread he said the following

I thought they were essentially the same chemistry since they both use an electrolyte vs a true Lipo which has no electrolyte? Aren't they both technically LI-Ion? I know in RC circles they call them Lipo's but they really aren't. Also aren't all LI-Ion/Lipos covered under the IEC 62133 which requires by law some for of charge protection circuit?

So my question is, can I charge the ST16 Battery with my Hitec charger set on LiPo Single cell?

I keep mine topped-up - it doesn't take any longer than charging three flight batteries with the original charger.

The ST16 battery is supposed to be a 3.6v 8700mAh 1S battery. It seems small to me for that capacity, has anyone checked?

I keep mine topped-up - it doesn't take any longer than charging three flight batteries with the original charger.

Dave,

The type of battery used in the ST-16, being lithium ion, is designed to be stored in a fully charged state for as long as you want it to be. Li-ons are the camera manufacturer battery of choice for that reason. You may or may not have known that but keeping the ST-16 fully charged all the time is a great strategic move for a pro operator.

Last edited:
Faster than stock or faster than the Hitec X2 AC Plus, but thats good to know, thanks. Per your response, I charged the ST16 battery at 6 amps from (I think) around 70% showing in the controller, took about an hour and that works for me. I also just got in a second ST16 battery so now I can keep the sorties going.

A tablet charger takes about 1/2 the time of a stock charger.

Li-ons can be charged at different rates but be advised the battery protection chip reduces the charge level for rates higher than 0.7C. If you charge at a higher rate the chip cuts off the charge before the battery reaches full capacity. It would show as 100% charged but not last as long as one charged at a lower rate. I'd have to look to see what the rated capacity is for the Tx battery but since you have yours out just do the math and charge accordingly.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
On the basis of a top-up charge from 67% full according to my ST16 today, the capacity stated on the battery seems realistic.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
When I received my H the ST16 had been packed in the on position in the box so it was completely drained. It took almost 7 hours for it to get to a full charge. Worked fine ever since, but I never let it go below the 60% mark and it takes a couple of hours to fully charge from that point.

It's an EC-2 and I bought an extra ST-16 battery and an EC-2 to T connector to connect to my charge board where I can charge at 1C. So I go out into the field with one battery in the ST16, one spare ST16 with the EC-2 connector to connect to a charger if I need to recharge in the field.

Do you set your LiIOn settings to 8700mah 1s? That's what I've been doing when my battery gets lower than 50% if I want to charge quicker. The provided USB on their charger is for my use, a last resort I forgot my other power bricks for android charger port. I do not recommend leaving your ST plugged into their charger overnight. It can actually drain your battery as some of us have experienced here.

Doh
I left mine on last night. I was going to fly at lunch today too. Is teh suck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis