Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Comparing the CG03+ with the DJI's zenmuse z3

Very interesting comparison. Keep them coming.
A few things need to be discussed:
  • Did you shoot in 4K and drop resolution to 1080p or shoot in 1080p? Video looks better if shot in 4K and reduced. Actually, I'd like to see the full 4K results since that is the maximum output of the cameras. At this point, the z3 shows more detail and sharper detail in difficult lighting. I'm viewing on a 4K monitor. The difference may not be noticeable on a 1080 monitor.
  • Using Auto settings makes for a good comparison. But if you want to demonstrate the maximum capabilities of these cameras, you need to shoot 4K, set the color mode to Natural or equivalent, Lock white balance on a typical scene or white card and set manual exposure correctly (using histogram). If you have ND filters for both, use them appropriately, otherwise don't.
  • I agree that no post processing should be done.
  • I see that you are trying to fly close to the same path and under the same lighting conditions for both. That's important for comparison.
  • Be careful not to pan too fast.
  • Did you use the zoom feature of the z3 ("7x zoom made up of 3.5x optical and 2x digital lossless zoom")? Comparisons should probably be done at the widest field of view or one that matches the CGO3+.
Thanks for taking the time to do this. The CGO3+ holds up pretty well against the more expensive z3.

The sensors are quite similar between the cameras. The Zenmuse has a zoom which is very nice and a leg up.

That said, I don't think shooting with out of the box settings is realistic. Anyone seriously into shooting video or stills will never use those settings. For me, it would be more realistic to see these cameras compete at optimized settings without post processing.

Very interesting comparison. Keep them coming.
A few things need to be discussed:
  • Did you shoot in 4K and drop resolution to 1080p or shoot in 1080p? Video looks better if shot in 4K and reduced. Actually, I'd like to see the full 4K results since that is the maximum output of the cameras. At this point, the z3 shows more detail and sharper detail in difficult lighting. I'm viewing on a 4K monitor. The difference may not be noticeable on a 1080 monitor.
  • Using Auto settings makes for a good comparison. But if you want to demonstrate the maximum capabilities of these cameras, you need to shoot 4K, set the color mode to Natural or equivalent, Lock white balance on a typical scene or white card and set manual exposure correctly (using histogram). If you have ND filters for both, use them appropriately, otherwise don't.
  • I agree that no post processing should be done.
  • I see that you are trying to fly close to the same path and under the same lighting conditions for both. That's important for comparison.
  • Be careful not to pan too fast.
  • Did you use the zoom feature of the z3 ("7x zoom made up of 3.5x optical and 2x digital lossless zoom")? Comparisons should probably be done at the widest field of view or one that matches the CGO3+.
Thanks for taking the time to do this. The CGO3+ holds up pretty well against the more expensive z3.
Thanks for even paying attention man.. I’ll take all your advises the next I do it. Hopefully, if time permits, and as progress in learning the other settings available. I beg your pardon though about the resolution. I tried to shoot in 4k, but my old computer crumbles. Having said so, I want to do a 4k comparison hopefully soon. I am saving up for it. I have no used the zoom of the z3. I only have flown it for 2 hours I think, I am still learning a lot in my very scarce spare time.
Thanks really, I appreciate the advise, and I will be taiking them as my guide.

The sensors are quite similar between the cameras. The Zenmuse has a zoom which is very nice and a leg up.

That said, I don't think shooting with out of the box settings is realistic. Anyone seriously into shooting video or stills will never use those settings. For me, it would be more realistic to see these cameras compete at optimized settings without post processing.
Hi Ron,
Thanks. I have to learn a lot more about the system, and as I progress, I hope I could cover everything that is needed. I would certainly do a comparison with their best setting as soon as I can.

Thanks for even paying attention man.. I’ll take all your advises the next I do it. Hopefully, if time permits, and as progress in learning the other settings available. I beg your pardon though about the resolution. I tried to shoot in 4k, but my old computer crumbles. Having said so, I want to do a 4k comparison hopefully soon. I am saving up for it. I have no used the zoom of the z3. I only have flown it for 2 hours I think, I am still learning a lot in my very scarce spare time.
Thanks really, I appreciate the advise, and I will be taiking them as my guide.
No worries. Do what you can.
I had to upgrade my computer system to do 4k properly. You can get a pretty good Dell refurbished desktop system for under $1k, such as:
Dell Official Outlet Refurbished & Overstock Laptops, Desktops & Monitors
I like desktop computers because they are easily upgradeable. And, I've purchased several Dell computers from the refurb site without problems.

Reactions: vergecraft
An optical zoom is nice to have. But I wouldn't bother with the digital zoom: it doesn't do anything that you can't do (better) yourself in post.

Reactions: PatR
No worries. Do what you can.
I had to upgrade my computer system to do 4k properly. You can get a pretty good Dell refurbished desktop system for under $1k, such as:
Dell Official Outlet Refurbished & Overstock Laptops, Desktops & Monitors
I like desktop computers because they are easily upgradeable. And, I've purchased several Dell computers from the refurb site without problems.
If you're scared of the dark side, look at an iMac 5k with Retina screen.

Or, you might be able to get 4k functionality out of an older PC if you switch to an SSD hard drive - preferably internally but alternatively as an expansion drive if you have a USB-C or Thunderbolt interface.

Reactions: vergecraft
How many Windows machines have Thunderbolt 3?

This would be cool on my 5K 27" iMac but it's a bit pricey for my work ($500 for the enclosure + PS + add some video cards). If I was thinking towards this the new iMac Pro might be a consideration as well.

I’ll be looking into the Razer Core a bit more. I have explored augmentingmy 4k laptop with a graphics expansion but the cost of doing it is almost equal to the Razer, and a lot more complex to execute. The Razer already has some darn good graphics gaming cards, perhaps plenty good enough. The multiple monitor ability is something I would really like, and somethingI’ve missed since retiring. I became much to accustomed to a three or more screen work station. If you have the horse power to run multiple programs it’s sweet to keep more open and on top when they compliment each other in the work flow.

I’ll be looking into the Razer Core a bit more. I have explored augmentingmy 4k laptop with a graphics expansion but the cost of doing it is almost equal to the Razer, and a lot more complex to execute. The Razer already has some darn good graphics gaming cards, perhaps plenty good enough. The multiple monitor ability is something I would really like, and somethingI’ve missed since retiring. I became much to accustomed to a three or more screen work station. If you have the horse power to run multiple programs it’s sweet to keep more open and on top when they compliment each other in the work flow.
Yes. For example, I just ran a DaVinci Resolve YouTube tutorial on one screen while having a project open on the other to play with. Works very well.

Yes, I’m addicted to having 2 monitors (no space for a third). Like Rubik I’ve been learning Final Cut Pro X with the app on one and training video from Ripple on the other. Photoshop is also much more productive with 2 monitors.

I took some time and dialed in the CGO3+ and did a short flight out in the country. The results are great if you know how to adjust iso and exposure. White balance is a must! Get a small fold out w/b card and lock in the w/b then make your exposure adjustments. Here is the CGO3+ dialed in with a bit of processing. Dropped the brightness and added saturation with a simple procamp. Shot in 4K, converted to 1080p30 and edited in Premiere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuna
I took some time and dialed in the CGO3+ and did a short flight out in the country. The results are great if you know how to adjust iso and exposure. White balance is a must! Get a small fold out w/b card and lock in the w/b then make your exposure adjustments. Here is the CGO3+ dialed in with a bit of processing. Dropped the brightness and added saturation with a simple procamp. Shot in 4K, converted to 1080p30 and edited in Premiere.
Well done. Colors and exposure look good. Nice orchards too! Is this California Central Valley?

Reactions: jcommstudios
Well done!!!

The CGO3+ can do decent video. My first H did OK 4K30 video but it was nothing to get excited about. I bought a second H and the 4K30 video looks a whole lot better because the focus is much sharper. One of these days I'm going to get the first CGO3+ lens adjusted so that its sharp as well or.... get a different lens installed and focused by someone like CarolinaDronz who can do a great job.

Well done. Colors and exposure look good. Nice orchards too! Is this California Central Valley?
Yep! The Big Valley just outside of "beautiful" Stockton, Ca. lol... just East of Highway 99 on Hiway4. Should be gorgeous once things start growing and come into bloom. You can see the Sierra Nevada mountains with their snow caps in the distance. Going to fly the Port of Stockton tomorrow, weather permitting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers