Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Calibration - interference

Reaction score
Had an interesting test over the weekend in relation to things that can affect the compass.
Was flying from a large concrete parking area at our business premises to get some footage of new solar cells. Did several flights, then when hovering prior to landing on the third flight I got compass error. I was only about 6 inches above the concrete at the time so decided to test a theory and landed on that spot. When on the ground, the rear LED was flashing orange for compass calibration required. I re-booted the H to see if it was would happen and after a reboot (did not move the H), still had an orange flashing LED. I then moved the H about 6 feet from it position and the errors ceased (no reboot).
I believe that the steel reinforcement in the concrete in that area was affecting the compass. By hovering at low level at various positions on the car park I found 2 other area that had the some effect.
Just thought I would post this info as a warning about where you calibrate the compass, and be wary when flying from concreted aprons. Probably not a good idea to fly from vehicle roofs either.

Reactions: Murray Martz
Very strange.
I have an all steel roof on my house and have no problems flying around it even landed on the peak once with the camera off.
I do agree, when you calibrate the compass/accelerometer it needs to be away from metal.

Yes, I noticed the same, at first I calibrated with in a fenced yard, metal fence. I would occassionly get same orange light and telemetry would show occasional compass error. So I calibrated in an open field next to me and have not had an orange light or any reference in telemtry errors. Before it didn't happen constantly, just maybe a few seconds of a flight.

Yes, I noticed the same, at first I calibrated with in a fenced yard, metal fence. I would occassionly get same orange light and telemetry would show occasional compass error. So I calibrated in an open field next to me and have not had an orange light or any reference in telemtry errors. Before it didn't happen constantly, just maybe a few seconds of a flight.

A phone in your pocket can also interfere. I get less drift when I don't have my phone on my during calibration. The times I've forgotten has definitely been noticeable in hover holding.

Cool. I used to think that's overkill but my Autel came with much better compass calibration explanation and they state no electronics on body during the spinning you do with the Autel XStar with its DJI style calibrating.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me