Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

compass calibration

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm new to this site and also new to Yuneec, well have just ordered a Q500+ but was wondering do I have to calibrate the compass every time I go out flying with my drone.
Hope this does seem a daft question only this is my first drone with GPS

Hi All,
I'm new to this site and also new to Yuneec, well have just ordered a Q500+ but was wondering do I have to calibrate the compass every time I go out flying with my drone.
You really don't have to Malcolm if you are going to be flying in the same area all the time. I went 20 miles from home and didn't have to re-calibrate. I did though as a precaution after I updated the firmware. If you are flying in a generally flat area and then move to a hilly area then you may want to. Hope this helps

You really don't have to Malcolm if you are going to be flying in the same area all the time. I went 20 miles from home and didn't have to re-calibrate. I did though as a precaution after I updated the firmware. If you are flying in a generally flat area and then move to a hilly area then you may want to. Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice, think to start I'll only be going about 10 miles from home where I'll first do the calibration. Do you know if I'll need to do a firmware update when I get my drone hopefully this week.

I did a firmware update and did not calibrate before my next flight. The results were disastrous. I could not control the direction after take-off and crashed, broke landing pad and motor speed control board. If I fly regularly, I have not had a problem, after sitting for the winter I will certainly calibrate before my first flight.

I did a firmware update and did not calibrate before my next flight. The results were disastrous. I could not control the direction after take-off and crashed, broke landing pad and motor speed control board. If I fly regularly, I have not had a problem, after sitting for the winter I will certainly calibrate before my first flight.
I flew mine right out of the box 18 times without any issues. On the first flight after the firmware update I noticed an orange light flashing with the purple light. I immediately landed, checked evrything over and the only thing I hadn't done was the compass calibration.Once I did that things were good. The biggest advantage I found with the update was the landing. A whole lot smoother. The bounce is gone.
Malcolm, there was a check list that came out here on the forum a couple weeks ago. See if you can find it and check it out. One of the important things on it was when you first get airborne, hover close for a bit to check for noises and/or lights. The lights will tell you a lot. Hope this helps. Good luck

I was going to start a new thread but found this discussion first. Tried the Yuneec website and literature first but not much info on this subject.

I basically have the same set of questions:

1. If the copter is flying with GPS why does it even need a compass calibration?

2. Does it need calibration every time you turn the copter on and off?

Last time I went out, it took me 4 tries before the compass was successfully calibrated. My car has GPS and doesn't need to be rotated 4 times in 30 seconds to know where North is.

3 Is this something that needs to be done with all brands of quadcopters? DJI, etc.

4. Is this a legacy technology issue that might be fixed in future copters? i.e. the upcoming Typhoon H?

Thanks for any input you might have!

Reactions: Malcolm davies
Hi All,
Hi. I have hd my q500+ for 4 months. And. 20 + flights. Some. 30 miles away and I have never calibrated mine. It's calibrated at the factory. So. North is North all over the world.

I basically have the same set of questions:

1. If the copter is flying with GPS why does it even need a compass calibration?

2. Does it need calibration every time you turn the copter on and off?

3 Is this something that needs to be done with all brands of quadcopters? DJI, etc.

4. Is this a legacy technology issue that might be fixed in future copters? i.e. the upcoming Typhoon H?

Thanks for any input you might have!

1- Because the first thing you have to do is tell the drone where it is on globe. Don't count on the drone to do this on it's own and be as accurate as doing it manually. It probably will but do you want to chance it ? There's a reason why they want you to do it manually.
2- I would say No unless you have traveled some distance from the location you did your last calibration. It's jus the smart thing to do and insures the best GPS accuracy. If done correctly, the hardest part is waiting for it to complete.I can do the flips in seconds.
3- Yes. My DJI needs calibrating as well.
4- No. Despite the operating system, most all need to be calibrated before the first flight.

Happy flying,
Jafo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval