Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Errors & Drifting

Finally got my H back on the 20th of June. Here is the story:

Purchased new on 4/26/17. Weather was bad, didn't get to fly it for also a week. After 4 or 5 mins of flying the LED would flash orange and I'd get the Magnetic Interference error message on the SS16. Performed numerous compass calibrations out in the middle of a 300 acre field. Did the correct dance, no cell, no watch, and faced magnetic North. Deleted the model info, re-calibrated everything - no change. Opened up a case with Yuneec on 5/11/17. On 5/12/17 they requested my flight log folder which I promptly sent. 5/19/19 Yuneec sent a RMA and shipping label. I shipped on 5/22/17 to Ken-A-Vision and they received it on 5/25/17. I called Yuneec on 6/5/17 for a status and was told to call Ken-A-Vison directly. I called Ken-A-Vison and was told that they have a week or so repair backlog. Called Ken-A-Vison on 6/12/17 and was told by a very pleasant sounding lady that the Camera had been repaired and the firmware updated. It was scheduled to be test flown and shipped tomorrow (6/13/17) and I would be receiving a shipping notice. I responded that there was no issue with my camera and the reason it was sent for repair was due to Compass errors. Also mentioned that all firmware had already been updated to the most recent versions. She responded that they will check out everything. Didn't receive any shipping notification so I called Yuneec on 6/14/17 - was told that there was nothing they could do. I would have to call Ken-A-Vison. Called Ken-A-Vison again and was told it was tested and would be shipped out this week. At this time I called a manager at Yuneec and he told me he'd look into it. 6/14/17 I received a note from Steven H at Yuneec stating that he'd reach out to Ken-A-Vison for a status and get back to me. 6/15/17 did not receive any status so I called Ken-A-Vision and was told that the H was shipped today. I asked what repairs were done and she said I would be receiving an email. 6/16/17 received email from Yuneec stating that the repairs have been completed and it passed all tests. Also received email from Ken-A-Vison stating that it was shipped along with a tracking number. Received it on 6/22/17, the reported stated that the GPS/Compass module was replaced. Overall time from case was opened until my H was repaired, 40 days.

This will be the last Yuneec product I purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got my H back on the 20th of June. Here is the story:

This will be the last Yuneec product I purchase.
Well that sucks. I haven't heard many good comments about that facility. In fact, I don't think I've heard any good comments. It is disturbing that several dealers sent their repair techs to Yuneec and paid for the training to do warranty repairs. So far as I know none have gotten any warranty repair work from Yuneec. I would expect much better service from a dealer than the KC facility.

On the other hand, when you look at other brands there doesn't seem to be much that is any better and most are much worse. I hope they can get this problem fixed. It seems to me the H is not that difficult to repair.

@ Steve Carr. I agree with you. I've heard nothing good about KAV. Read some horror stories about damage. So, before I sent mine in, I took pics of the entire H, camera, and SS16. Just to make sure it came back the same way. In my opinion, Yuneec should handle the customer inquiries. I should not have to contact a second party for a repair status.

Also forgot to mention that it was not returned back to me in the original box (the one I sent it in). I liked the original box, it was sturdier and had the H's serial number on it.

This is my 5th Yuneec drone and will be my last. I've had three Q500's and two H's. Its a pity as it's a great platform loaded with features. Just finished completing Yuneecs customer survey. Let's say my response was not positive.

Busa

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Steve Carr. I agree with you. I've heard nothing good about KAV. Read some horror stories about damage. So, before I sent mine in, I took pics of the entire H, camera, and SS16. Just to make sure it came back the same way. In my opinion, Yuneec should handle the customer inquiries. I should not have to contact a second party for a repair status.
Also forgot to mention that it was not returned back to me in the original box (the one I sent it in). I liked the original box, it was sturdier and had the H's serial number on it.
This is my 5th Yuneec drone and will be my last. I've had three Q500's and two H's. Its a pity as it's a great platform loaded with features. Just finished completing Yuneecs customer survey. Let's say my response was not positive. Busa
There is a lot of frustration right now, but.........I say again........it's still pretty much outshines any other competitors out there. I watch some of the other forums and I see the same problems only worse. Fact is, Yuneec still makes a solid product and the issues tend to be a low percentage.

I should close this thread by mentioning that Ken-A-Vision did repair my H correctly. It flies perfectly without any compass calibration or magnetic interference messages. After 5 flights, no issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech