Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Warning! Whats going on?

Capt,
I agree, my test tonight, I did NOT calibrate anything, just relocated the direction of the nose and problem went away. I still want to try it at a remote location.

I think this will be fixed in the next firmware update. You don't have to calibrate the compass, the warning will go away if you either land and restart or just keep flying.

The H flies ok but the compass warning continuously comes and goes the entire flight, very annoying.

Capt,
I agree, my test tonight, I did NOT calibrate anything, just relocated the direction of the nose and problem went away. I still want to try it at a remote location.
It happened to me while the Typhoon was sitting on the ground. I had powered it on along with the ST16 but never started the motors. After 15 minutes it gave the warning. I ignored the warning and it went away. I took off 5 mins later with no issues.

I suggest that anyone that is having a COMPASS CALIBRATION issue, send an email to Yuneec.
[email protected] or call them in the USA @ 844 898 6332.
Unless we bring it to their attention, they will not know to correct the issue.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Same here, only mine started occurring before I updated the firmware... Out of frustration I made this video. I'm about to call my losses with Yuneec. See if what is in my video is what is happening to everyone else's H

Yup, that is pretty much what I am getting. only had it once in the air, several times on the ground before I even got it airborne.

Same here, only mine started occurring before I updated the firmware... Out of frustration I made this video. I'm about to call my losses with Yuneec. See if what is in my video is what is happening to everyone else's H

Yes I have the same thing exactly. I don't recall it happening before the last firmware upgrade though.

Try this after a successful compass calibration:
1. Place your St16 at least 10 feet away from the H and turn it on and leave it there.
2. leave you cell phone or any other electronic devices far away.
3.Turn on the H and wait for it to finish booting up.
4. Keep your distance while arming and flying.

For me, this has solved the problem. One other thing that should not matter but CS insists on. Face North when calibrating the compass.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Try this after a successful compass calibration:
1. Place your St16 at least 10 feet away from the H and turn it on and leave it there.
2. leave you cell phone or any other electronic devices far away.
3.Turn on the H and wait for it to finish booting up.
4. Keep your distance while arming and flying.

For me, this has solved the problem. One other thing that should not matter but CS insists on. Face North when calibrating the compass.

When calibrating it, the manual tells you to turn it in the counterclockwise direction. Is that what you're doing?

reinstall the new firmware. I redownloaded the bin file also. Must have been a glitch in my first one. Works good now.

reinstall the new firmware. I redownloaded the bin file also. Must have been a glitch in my first one. Works good now.

How did you do it?

It won't install if it see's the same version or a newer version already installed on the H.

Is there a way to revert back to a prior version?

I just made it a bin file and it overwrote it. .Don*t have anything else on the msd card.

Ok I had 2 flawless flights just now. Both times I had my H pointing NORTH before powering up.
I did not receive a compass warning.
For those of you still having the issue, could you please try starting with you H pointed towards North and see if the problem goes away.
Before the firmware update, it never mattered, Now it seems it does.

i must admit id heard a lot about the importance of calibrating the compass whilst facing north a while ago on various facebook groups even though the official Yuneec videos do not show this so who knows

I tried calibrating another 15 times while it was facing north in the middle of a field with my cell phone off, made no difference. At least you got yours working

WES,
Thanks for giving it a try. Until I get a few more successful flights, I am not going to go out over the water for now. My new favorite spot is the St.Clare river and filming the big freighters.
I sent an Email to Yuneec and will call them on Tuesday. (I think they are closed Monday Holiday)

WES,
Thanks for giving it a try. Until I get a few more successful flights, I am not going to go out over the water for now. My new favorite spot is the St.Clare river and filming the big freighters.
I sent an Email to Yuneec and will call them on Tuesday. (I think they are closed Monday Holiday)

I sent them an email also about the compass problem, we will see what they say.

So putting the ST16 ten feet away did not help, have not tried that yet.
I tried pointing north, made no difference for me.

Maybe it's all the solar flares this week. :p:D

I did some testing,
Did not matter how close I was to the H. I could get the warning almost every time I would start the motors. Only way I could 100% get away from the error was to make sure the H was pointed towards the NORTH. Normally I take off from the sidewalk in front of my house with the H pointed towards the EAST. When I start with the H pointed EAST, I get the compass warning. Power off, point the H North and NO error.
I do not understand this behavior, I never had this issue before. It is dark out now , will have to try a different location tomorrow.
Hey Bob,
Most concrete slabs have reinforcing wire inside. Even though you have taken off on the sidewalk many times with no problem, it could still be an issue. I'm intrigued by the facing North routine. How about giving it a try in the grass farther away from any metal and see what you get. That could help narrow down the cause.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss