Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Considering Typhoon H

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Looking at a first "real" drone purchase (I've had several cheap drones in the $250 USD range). I've mainly been looking at the DJI options, but the price point combined with poor cameras, as well as my inclination to not buy the "common" brands is scaring me off. The goal here is to find something both for personal and potentially professional use, but reasonably priced enough that if it's unsuitable for professional use I haven't completely overbought for personal use.

I've been reading a lot of reviews of both the DJI Inspire Pro, Yuneec Tornado and the Typhoon H, and haven't been able to overcome a few concerns.

The big things that I'm worried about are: Transmission distance, RTH height setting, video quality, photograph distortion due to camera FOV.

The fact that Yuneec offers hexacopters at the mid-grade consumer level is very attractive, as in some cases the unit would be operated over private property adjacent to the subject to create enough overlap, so a mechanical failure would cause some issues.

I've also not been able to find any detailed information on the GPS unit in the Yuneec models, as far as if it is GLONASS compatible, if it's L1 only or L1/L2, or if it makes use of WAAS.

From what I understand, the camera on the Typhoon cannot be detached and used on a handheld gimbal, which does reduce the value somewhat from a personal standpoint, though it might just be that it will have to serve as a stepping stone until I can go in for a Matrice 600 or a comparable Yuneec offering.

Any insight on actual field use would be appreciated; the main functions I'm looking for are:

1. Aerial mapping (photogrammetry, and potentially crop health analysis using FLIR if a robust enough market exists)
2. Amateur videography/photography

Thanks!

In all honesty I would not recommend the Typhoon H at this moment in time, which pains me to say but it's my opinion. I own the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and the Yuneec Typhoon H and was an early adopter of each receiving them on day 1.

The DJI Phantom 3 is the finished product, and the Phantom 4 is probably off the scale. The Typhoon H is a work in progress, and Yuneec needs people like us to buy their products to stand a chance of getting to the DJI level in the future. But I am glad I have the Phantom 3 as its still my work horse.

I thought I needed a hex, and its great, but the camera is of such a poor quality and the flights modes have such basic flight controls I use the P3 whenever I want to do anything tricky. Simple things like with the P3 I can perform an orbit and I can set the speed, and I can see how long it will take to do a complete orbit. With the Typhoon H you are whacking the sticks about making it speed up or slow down and you have no idea how long it will take.

I can also perform AEB with the Phantom 3 but the Typhoon H you have to do it all manually which sucks when it's drifting about in the wind.

To your points 1) you cannot do photogrammetry or aerial mapping as no apps exist that can control the Typhoon H, but with DJI you can 2) you can do videography and photography, but the camera is poor, the camera settings are awkward and the flight modes designed to help the process are cumbersome.

The only thing the Typhoon H can probably do for you at a decent price point is crop analysis when the FLIR camera is released but you will be flying the thing up and down the field yourself whereas the DJI boys will be doing circuits with their Inspire. Although they would have paid a premium.

I do think the camera can be detached and used on a handheld gimbal but it's not released yet although it works with the previous gimbal from Yuneec.

If you drop the FLIR idea I would get a DJI P4.

Hi TSHiggins and welcome. I have had both Phantom 3 pro, and now 2 Typhoon Hs, a regular and pro. I will be the first to admit that the typhoon is not perfect, but the phantoms are far from perfect as well. There are many differences between both and it is not always easy to get an apples to apples comparison. It really boils down to what your true needs are. In my opinion for the money, the typhoon gives you far more value. You get more as part of the package, where you need to add onto the DJI, like tablet, sun screen, car adapter, etc. If you are looking for the absolute highest quality video you can get out of the box, then DJI may be a better camera, but many people do not need it. Do you need all sorts of plotting map points for autonomous flight? The typhoon does it, but maybe the DJI does it a little better with clicking on a map. The wizard is a handy tool for flying without a controller. The typhoon looks like a more professional piece of equipment in my opinion. Also being able to hover and rotate the camera continuously is a plus. I also like the fact the camera comes off. That implies that yuneec could come out with better cameras and you wont need to replace the whole bird. As mentioned, you can also get a handheld unit for the camera for taking shots inside homes etc. The built in tablet in the ST16 is a beautiful high resolution screen and works great. Having had both, I have nothing terrible to say about either one. They have strengths and weaknesses. I have not flown my DJI since getting my Typhoons. Hope that helps. Unfortunately you will come across a lot of haters here. I have tried to be as neutral and honest as possible. Being that the typhoon is brand new, and DJI has had 4 cycles now with the Phantom, there are some bugs on the typhoon, but Yuneec is very responsive, great customer service, and they are making rapid improvements. I think you will be happy regardless of which platform you choose. Have fun!

Reactions: Goh and TSHiggins
Thanks for the responses you two, I appreciate it.

It sounds like the current cameras that are available is what is going to make the decision. An Inspire might be the way to go, with the option to upgrade to an X5 camera with a 45mm lens in the future. Though I'd love to have a hexacopter instead of a quad, it sounds like Yuneec lacks some of the functions that I'd need at this point. Though the transmission distance isn't a make-or-break thing, there are occasions where a longer range would be very helpful. The waypoint functions are also a major part of it.

The extras that come with the Yuneec as well as the price point is very attractive though.

Does anyone know of a place to pull up more specifics on the GPS units inside the Yuneecs?

Thanks for the responses you two, I appreciate it.

It sounds like the current cameras that are available is what is going to make the decision. An Inspire might be the way to go, with the option to upgrade to an X5 camera with a 45mm lens in the future. Though I'd love to have a hexacopter instead of a quad, it sounds like Yuneec lacks some of the functions that I'd need at this point. Though the transmission distance isn't a make-or-break thing, there are occasions where a longer range would be very helpful. The waypoint functions are also a major part of it.

The extras that come with the Yuneec as well as the price point is very attractive though.

Does anyone know of a place to pull up more specifics on the GPS units inside the Yuneecs?

The Inspire is in a different league and it is not totally fair to compare it with the H if considering an x5 camera. With no indication from Yuneec as to if and when they release a better camera than the CGO3+ then going up a level of cost may be what you should do. My present clients find the H pictures fine for their web or intranet based communications.

The Inspire is in a different league and it is not totally fair to compare it with the H if considering an x5 camera. With no indication from Yuneec as to if and when they release a better camera than the CGO3+ then going up a level of cost may be what you should do. My present clients find the H pictures fine for their web or intranet based communications.

I likely wouldn't consider the X5 at first, though it would possibly become necessary depending on the results I get with the other options. I said the Pro in my first post, but in reality, I would probably go with an Inspire 2.0 with an X3 camera. I agree that the price comparisons are not really fair though. I've got to spend some more time considering the Tornado, but I wanted to make sure I looked at the H as it seemed a better option than the Phantoms for what I want to accomplish.

Reactions: JeffMacau
The Tornado is expensive for what it is ... But it has the GH4 camera that many think is well ahead of the x5. Panasonic know a bit more about cameras than DJI, or Yuneec for that matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval