Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Conversation with tower... suggestions?

Reaction score
Hello All - is there a suggested script of the conversation with a local tower? I.e. What bullet points should I be hitting???
THANKS!

When I called my local airport (No tower here), they said I can't fly within the 5-mile radius. I mentioned to him that I do have FAA authority to fly within the 5-mile radius, but FAA requires me to inform the airport (And tower).

I sent an email to the FAA informing this. They mentioned that when you call them, make sure they know you are flying your recreational drone. I always let them know that I have my uas certificate number and if they would like that as well. You should always be asked the elevation you will be flying at. 400' or lower. And I normally mention to them how far away I am from the airport and what radius I will be flying in.

Thanks - in all my reading I just never found a "script" of what should be covered... appreciate your sharing!

Officially — at an uncontrolled airport — you're required to inform the management that you'll be flying within the 5-mile radius, not necessarily get permission. They can file a complaint if there's a problem; but given you have your cert, you're probably not the guy who's going to cause any problems.

In speaking with the manager of my local (uncontrolled) airport, he says (paraphrasing) "Fly all you want, but if you're going to be close to the approach/departure routes or spending a lot of time at altitude let me know and I'll loan you a radio so you can monitor traffic." Around here he's more concerned with pilots sightseeing below 500'...

There's an operator here locally who does a lot of work with the Forest Service, he sends the airport manager a text with the date/time/estimated duration of his flight; nature of his flight; lat/lon; operational radius & altitude. Works a charm. I fly a lot in the area — generally out on the fringes of the 5-mile radius — so we've agreed that contacting him every time would be a pain for all parties concerned.

Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis