Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Correct me if I'm wrong about realsense ?

Here, this video should help show what realsense does. First, when realsense is turned on and you fly towards an object you just keep the right stick forward. The realsense will move the Typhoon up/down/left/right to avoid the objects in front. There is a memory module onboard which records 30 seconds of flight data from the realsense module. So I am guessing this links in with the GPS coordinates so that everything the realsense sees for the past 30 seconds is mapped to GPS coordinates. This means that if you suddenly fly backwards after flying through obstacles, it should remember the past 30 seconds worth of obstacles in the rear and avoid them (pretty cool).

Also, the IPS module will not allow you to land without putting the landing gear down. If you try and land without the landing gear down, it will just hover.

Reactions: raymond captuo
Base on discussion that follows you post Captain, the H can not fly sideways or backwards in RS mode because RS keeps the FOV in the direction of travel. So back to my question of does RS cause the drone to turn to keep the RS FOV in the intended direction if say the operator tries to fly sideways or backwards depending whether or not the drone is in Safe or Angle mode? You may not know....I'm just trying to get a clear understanding of what we do know. Thanks...
I believe you can fly sideways and backwards with RS activated! Just won't help you in those directions! The only locked in(to say) forward mode is with Follow Me /Watch Me , moving forward!!

Ok, thank you both for your responses. Based on what I've seen of the videos showing RS capabilities, functionality questions remain that I guess will have to wait for real world tests. Looking forward to reading flight results from whoever the first guinea pig happens to be. I hope it works to expectations with minimal risk. It can be a useful tool if it does. Thanks...

Reactions: DroneClone
Here, this video should help show what realsense does. First, when realsense is turned on and you fly towards an object you just keep the right stick forward. The realsense will move the Typhoon up/down/left/right to avoid the objects in front. There is a memory module onboard which records 30 seconds of flight data from the realsense module. So I am guessing this links in with the GPS coordinates so that everything the realsense sees for the past 30 seconds is mapped to GPS coordinates. This means that if you suddenly fly backwards after flying through obstacles, it should remember the past 30 seconds worth of obstacles in the rear and avoid them (pretty cool).

Also, the IPS module will not allow you to land without putting the landing gear down. If you try and land without the landing gear down, it will just hover.

IMHO not the best of demos

is there a price for the add on module?....
In the the UK as of last Tuesday direct from the Yuneec official stand at a trade show. £375 for the Real Sense and £75 for the look down IPS. Possibly a bit cheaper if bought together. In their words "just four screws to add on the module and a bit of lining up and installing" . Available July I was also told.

Reactions: DroneClone
The drone did not have packing foam balls on it. That video was deceiving, I am sorry to say! Those white balls are add on sensors and helped it to fly in many directions, avoiding objects! To really know how it works, we will have to own and fly one with real sense , time will reveal!
The white balls were not sensors, just white balls. There were external cameras which were used to detect the typhoon and rider's positions in space since GPS was not possible inside the building. Position was transmitted to the H and the other calculations for obstacle avoidance were done on board.
Outside, in the real world where GPS is available, the rider and Typhoon H would get their location from satellites. Otherwise the behavior of the system would be the same.
Hope that clears things up.

The white balls were not sensors, just white balls. There were external cameras which were used to detect the typhoon and rider's positions in space since GPS was not possible inside the building. Position was transmitted to the H and the other calculations for obstacle avoidance were done on board.
Outside, in the real world where GPS is available, the rider and Typhoon H would get their location from satellites. Otherwise the behavior of the system would be the same.
Hope that clears things up.
Funny the Yuneec rep at CES told people at CES they were sensors! Or maybe he was lying to make the H look bad?!, My dealer was there and that's what he stated. Makes sense, why would you just put balls on your product, as bumpers or looks? Doubt it!;)

Funny the Yuneec rep at CES told people at CES they were sensors! Or maybe he was lying to make the H look bad?!, My dealer was there and that's what he stated. Makes sense, why would you just put balls on your product, as bumpers or looks? Doubt it!;)
Well some folks still think we faked the moon landings. Go figure.:)

Yes , some people will anything what they are told , like the US was the first to build a stealth aircraft.

The white balls have been used for motion capture in movies for years. Many animated features use real people to act out the motions while their positions are captured and mapped to animated characters. The balls are just balls. The external cameras are the sensors.

Attachments

• motioncapture.jpg
    motioncapture.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
Here is an example of using reflective markers on a quad copter to substitute for GPS indoors.

It makes a map so yea its gonna know what its passed over. Read up on slam-gmapping that is how depth cams do their thing. Basically works by laying down a checkerboard over the terrain and each box is marked clear or occupied as the map is made.

And point forward the direction you are flying, thus real sense will only sense objects forward in the direction you fly/pan/turn going forward
I believe the current obstacle avoidance system will work as you fly ahead of a moving subject. You can have the camera facing backwards towards the subject, while the OA sensor is facing the direction of travel to keep from hitting things in your path. I expect Realsense could work the same way. This is a feature that is not possible on other drones that do not have a camera that can rotate 360 degrees. I look forward to using this in my whitewater kayaking when I want to lead the subject instead of following.

Well some folks still think we faked the moon landings. Go figure.:)
I really don't give a F, if they are foam balls or sensors, or who built a Stealth first or who walked or didn't on the moon, just gave the information out there to those who were interested in trolling a bash session, as to add more to my wipe out list!:D

Reactions: raymond captuo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430