Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Crash analysis

Thanks, but this is exactly what I have been doing for over 15 years. (except for avoiding concrete pavement....I did not know this may be an issue...I do usually take off on blacktop.) I have always been extra careful about my startup routine...almost to a fault. There is absolutely nothing I did, or didnt do that would have caused this to happen. My routine is 1) carry craft to a flat, level and hard spot. 2) Turn on radio and wait until it completely boots up. 3) Turn on aircraft and wait until it completely boots up. 4) wait until everything is done calibrating, beeping, and locking on. 4) Take off into a hover about 10 feet or so up. 5) Move sticks all around to make sure everything reacts properly with little to know drift 6) Take off. If I do anything different, or if the aircraft behaves, or sounds unusual in any way, I will turn everything off and start again.
I tried hand catching last night, and although I was a little apprehensive at first, it was actually easier than I expected. I plan to do that from now on.
Thanks, but this is exactly what I have been doing for over 15 years. (except for avoiding concrete pavement....I did not know this may be an issue...I do usually take off on blacktop.) I have always been extra careful about my startup routine...almost to a fault. There is absolutely nothing I did, or didnt do that would have caused this to happen. My routine is 1) carry craft to a flat, level and hard spot. 2) Turn on radio and wait until it completely boots up. 3) Turn on aircraft and wait until it completely boots up. 4) wait until everything is done calibrating, beeping, and locking on. 4) Take off into a hover about 10 feet or so up. 5) Move sticks all around to make sure everything reacts properly with little to know drift 6) Take off. If I do anything different, or if the aircraft behaves, or sounds unusual in any way, I will turn everything off and start again.
I tried hand catching last night, and although I was a little apprehensive at first, it was actually easier than I expected. I plan to do that from now on.
You can't be careful enough to check if your GPS is in COLD, WARM or HOT status before take-off. If COLD stay on the ground for at least 13minutes and it will save you alot of expensive trouble.
http://www.measys.com/docs/TTFFstartup.pdf Then when your flight is finished - Hand catch! Best from Sweden

You can't be careful enough to check if your GPS is in COLD, WARM or HOT status before take-off. If COLD stay on the ground for at least 13minutes and it will save you alot of expensive trouble.
http://www.measys.com/docs/TTFFstartup.pdf Then when your flight is finished - Hand catch! Best from Sweden

The GPS READY green indicator on the ST16 screen is all you've got. It's still not clear to me if that turns green when sufficient satellite GPS signals are received or when the GPS almanac is fully updated. As the measys.com article indicates, it can take up to 15 minutes to update the almanac if you've moved some miles from your last flight or some days have passed since your last flight. At a new location, I noticed some drifting upon takeoff even after the GPS indicator is green. But after several minutes of flight, the drifting disappeared. I doubt this has anything to do with your landing difficulties but I felt the need to share my experience just in case it does. Happy and safe flying, Skeets.

The GPS READY green indicator on the ST16 screen is all you've got. It's still not clear to me if that turns green when sufficient satellite GPS signals are received or when the GPS almanac is fully updated. As the measys.com article indicates, it can take up to 15 minutes to update the almanac if you've moved some miles from your last flight or some days have passed since your last flight. At a new location, I noticed some drifting upon takeoff even after the GPS indicator is green. But after several minutes of flight, the drifting disappeared. I doubt this has anything to do with your landing difficulties but I felt the need to share my experience just in case it does. Happy and safe flying, Skeets.
Hi Rubik, The GPS READY green indicator on the ST16 screen ONLY tells us that we have connection with the sats NOT that the almanack is updated. So, just wait the 15min when in cold start. Maybe the drifting when in a new location can depend on the almanack that will be updated when you fly and are higher up for better sat connection? Maybe... Sure, fly safe!

With the H, is there any indicator on the ST16 that will tell you if you are in Cold start mode or is it just a guess from the last time/location that the H was flown?

With the H, is there any indicator on the ST16 that will tell you if you are in Cold start mode or is it just a guess from the last time/location that the H was flown?
Nope, it's just a guess. However, the GPS indicator on the ST16 will take longer to turn green if it has to re-find all the satellites. But there is no indication about the status of the almanac. Better to wait if time or distance since last flight are significant. Now you are going to ask how much time and distance is critical... Perhaps observing the time it takes for the GPS light to turn green is an indication of how much updating is required. If it doesn't turn green right away, we should probably wait the full 15 minutes.

Nope, it's just a guess. However, the GPS indicator on the ST16 will take longer to turn green if it has to re-find all the satellites. But there is no indication about the status of the almanac. Better to wait if time or distance since last flight are significant. Now you are going to ask how much time and distance is critical... Perhaps observing the time it takes for the GPS light to turn green is an indication of how much updating is required. If it doesn't turn green right away, we should probably wait the full 15 minutes.
Spending the 15minutes will save alot of trouble and money!

This discussion has been very helpful to me, with all of 15 minutes flight time in my log (though I have about 2100 hours flying general aviation aircraft since 1961). It also may have saved me asking what I could NOT figure out on my first (and only) Typhoon flight: HOW DO I MAKE THIS THING YAW?? I tried the throttle stick but mayhaps it needs to be in angle mode? I did some flying in that mode but maybe I didn't try it in that mode. Help me out! Love this group; thanks!

Gwa,

Best take off in Angle mode. Then the H will fly like an aeroplane.
Left stick from left to right is yaw, to and fro is up and down.

From the manual (about the right stick):

ANGLE MODE
When the Flight Mode selection switch is the middle position, Typhoon H will be in Angle Mode, also known as in Pilot Mode.
Angle (Pilot) Mode is the mode preferred by experienced RC/drone pilots because Typhoon H will move in the direction the control stick is pushed relative to the front/nose of the aircraft. So if you push the right-hand stick to the left Typhoon H will bank toward the left side and move to the left.
This means if the front/nose of Typhoon H is pointing away from you it will move to the left, but if
the front/nose is pointing at you Typhoon H will move to the right.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig