Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Display Specs for the ST16???

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the display specs are for the ST16? I have a friend who it considering buying a Phantom 4 Pro, with one of their new CrystalSky displays. He sent me the following information about them:

"I found out there are two versions of DJI's 7.85" CrystalSky display too, both have a resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels, but one costs $699.99 and has brightness spec of 1000 cd/m2, and the other costs $999.99 and has twice that brightness (2000 cd/m2)".

I've looked in the settings of the ST16, but nothing there tells how bright the display is. I am sure the display in our ST16 is no where as bright, but I'm happy with mine. (except at high noon on a sunny day near Seattle!)

I can't say I'm a fan of DJI's controllers - they manage to look clumsy and toy-like at the same time, and the con of making you use your phone or tablet as the screen is sneaky, especially when it introduces so many issues around compatibility and failures.

It makes sense for them to sell a dedicated screen - but that makes it clear what you're really paying for. The P4P with base level display is over $700 more than the Typhoon. Given that DJI will throw you under a bus the moment the P5 comes out, I know which I'd prefer :)

Tell your friend to buy the P4P with the top level display, then ask how he's doing in 6 months time :D

Reactions: Robert Brooks
It gets better. DJI is saying users WILL register their drones with the FAA. If they don't DJI will severely restrict the altitude and distance they can be used.

Reactions: Robert Brooks
It gets better. DJI is saying users WILL register their drones with the FAA. If they don't DJI will severely restrict the altitude and distance they can be used.

uhhhhhh..... :eek:

Not such a bad idea, I suppose it takes some logistics (with a federal service... ouch, as if they are waiting for mumbojumbo) to comply to that statement.

I could go on a long diatribe why it's a very bad precedent but I'll save that for another forum.

seems a cool idea to me, yes.
Not a good idea at all. The next step is having to sign up for a paid subscription. If you don't pay your annual fee your bird is useless. And what happens when China and the US have a conflict. China simply tells DJI to shut off all US Phantoms.
When I buy a car do I want Ford or GM to decide how far I can drive it? And when next years model comes out I have to "Upgrade".

I meant the idea of putting this discussion in another forum.

Of course it is nonsense. Other brands will have to comply, public services will have to accomodate the mumbojumbo.
Not going to happen.

o_O

I meant the idea of putting this discussion in another forum.

Of course it is nonsense. Other brands will have to comply, public services will have to accomodate the mumbojumbo.
Not going to happen.

o_O
Ah, okay. I misinterpreted your post. :D

I can't say I'm a fan of DJI's controllers - they manage to look clumsy and toy-like at the same time, and the con of making you use your phone or tablet as the screen is sneaky, especially when it introduces so many issues around compatibility and failures.

It makes sense for them to sell a dedicated screen - but that makes it clear what you're really paying for. The P4P with base level display is over $700 more than the Typhoon. Given that DJI will throw you under a bus the moment the P5 comes out, I know which I'd prefer :)

Tell your friend to buy the P4P with the top level display, then ask how he's doing in 6 months time :D

I guess I didn't make my question quite clear enough. I really have no interest in the CrystalSky display screen. I just wanted to know if anyone knows the specs on the ST16 display screen in regards to how bright or not bright it is. That's all I want to know.
My friend merely asked for comparison sake.

I guess I didn't make my question quite clear enough. I really have no interest in the CrystalSky display screen. I just wanted to know if anyone knows the specs on the ST16 display screen in regards to how bright or not bright it is. That's all I want to know.
My friend merely asked for comparison sake.
Considering the screen is probably a $75 component of the whole controller, there is no way it can be compared to a $700 screen. However, any screen or monitor with a HDMI input can be connected to the ST16. Even the Crystal Sky will probably work.

Reactions: Rayray
Any screen (irregardless of that screen's native max resolution) will be limited to the ST-16 resolution of 1280x720,
however using a third party screen would quite possibly improve screen brightness. If you have a specific model
in mind that is available at a local retailer like Best Buy for example, it would be easy enough to take your
ST-16 there to directly compare screen brightness side by side.

Last edited:
Finally came back on topic.:)

Remember that only the micro-card is getting the full camera resolution. Wi-Fi is 720p, right? So the ST16 screen resolution is fine.
Brightness is another matter and manufacturers measure it in different ways (for advertising purposes?).

The ST16 screen is probably about 400 or 500 nits. Brighter screens require more power and are more expensive to make.

As you say, the ST16 with a good hood does a great job as long as direct sun is not shining on the screen. You can indeed connect another monitor of your choice using HDMI if the monitor has an HDMI input. Test it using your HD TV set.

My Mustang is (to me) a great, fast and good handling vehicle. However, no matter what I do, think, or say, it ain't no Ferrari.:rolleyes:

The special DJI screens are probably better, as long as the sun isn't shining on them. I've used some pretty high end equipment (monitors, tablets, view screens, computers) for visuals and all of them suffer from the same malady; when the sun is shining on them the image is hard to see. Take a look at how movies are filmed sometime. Everything has a very deep shaded tunnel to eliminate glare, and those are $40,000.00 and up cameras.

For $700.00 to $1,000.00 you can buy a lot better screen than you ever get on a tablet, phone, or consumer drone flight controller.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me