Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Distance testing report - updates page 3 (FPVLR) & page 5 (DBS)

I called on Monday, had the return label late on Monday, shipped the old one back on Tuesday, they shipped me a new one on Wednesday, they received the old one on Thursday, I received the new one on Friday.

Perhaps because I sent them a video showing my crash they knew they wanted to keep it to investigate what was going on so, if so, they decided up front they were replacing it instead of repairing it.
Wow. Ok that is really fast. I hope I get mine back soon. I have a feeling its going to take awhile

My FPVLR antennas arrived today. Windy day (22 MPH per weather.com now, 20 MPH when I started out) so I was hesitant to go the distance but decided to give it a try. At something over 5,000' I lost distance information but still had video feed and controls but saw I was pointing my controller up a little bit too much and then thought I should get higher off of the ground so rose to about 125' and then everything showed up fine. There was a moderate amount of delay in the feed but not too bad. I went out to 5,650', took a photo my a friend's cherry orchard, then headed back. I was headed back into the wind and was focusing on how much my props were showing up in the video without paying close attention to my battery level. At about 2,000' away I got a low battery warning which made my heart sink for a minute. It told me to descend to 60' but doesn't seem to force that. I looked and saw voltage was at 14.6v which surprised me because the other day the voltage warning came on at 14.3v (the only time I've been that low). I was not in a good spot to land as I was over my alfalfa field and props would have had to deal with 18" tall alfalfa if I can down into that so I continued home but at a slower pace, maybe 6-7 MPH, and voltage remained stable at 14.6v. I landed in my open field about 200' away and turned off motors, voltage was then 14.9v, so that was okay. Better wait for less wind before I try going greater distance. Overall, very happy with results. Video quality was good and I just need to make sure not to be pointing my controller upwards since these antenna are more directional.

My DBS antenna is headed her via First Class mail, hope to get by the weekend.

20160525_170919~2.jpg

Reactions: NFB and Cilent1
My FPVLR antennas arrived today. Windy day (22 MPH per weather.com now, 20 MPH when I started out) so I was hesitant to go the distance but decided to give it a try. At something over 5,000' I lost distance information but still had video feed and controls but saw I was pointing my controller up a little bit too much and then thought I should get higher off of the ground so rose to about 125' and then everything showed up fine. There was a moderate amount of delay in the feed but not too bad. I went out to 5,650', took a photo my a friend's cherry orchard, then headed back. I was headed back into the wind and was focusing on how much my props were showing up in the video without paying close attention to my battery level. At about 2,000' away I got a low battery warning which made my heart sink for a minute. It told me to descend to 60' but doesn't seem to force that. I looked and saw voltage was at 14.6v which surprised me because the other day the voltage warning came on at 14.3v (the only time I've been that low). I was not in a good spot to land as I was over my alfalfa field and props would have had to deal with 18" tall alfalfa if I can down into that so I continued home but at a slower pace, maybe 6-7 MPH, and voltage remained stable at 14.6v. I landed in my open field about 200' away and turned off motors, voltage was then 14.9v, so that was okay. Better wait for less wind before I try going greater distance. Overall, very happy with results. Video quality was good and I just need to make sure not to be pointing my controller upwards since these antenna are more directional.

View attachment 686

Oh gosh, I know the feeling. The first time out with my Q500 4k I was an idiot and decided to fly out over a lake and when the ST-10 started vibrating I was at the farthest distance I'd been all day. It was a mad rush to get myself and the copter oriented in the right direction and headed back home before losing it. Can't wait to see the results between the DBS antenna (which I also highly considered ordering) and the FVPLR which is in the mail and should arrive Friday or Tuesday (since Monday is a holiday).

Reactions: HarveyC
Thanks for the pic. Are the antennas flexible at all or are they stiff and rigid?
They are fairly rigid but do rotate. I wish they wouldn't rotate so easily as they are offset from center and the heavier half will rotate down and rest against the surface when you set down the controller so you need to use some care to spin them around when setting down the controller.

Which one is better ??? FPVLR or DBS???? DBS just too big.
I don't have the DBS yet, DroneClone tried both on a Phantom and said the DBS worked better. Carolina Dronz which sells the DBS supposedly was claiming that the Typhoon H antenna was right-hand when in reality it is left-hand, same as polarity of FPVLR, so I figured it was worth testing out myself. DroneClone posted elsewhere that the DBS isn't really that big, not much different than FPVLR. I'll post a photo of it when here and mounted.

I need to get my Marco Polo tracker set up so that I can go find my TH in case I lose it while doing a long distance test.

I don't really know if I'll have the courage to go much further, to be honest, 5,000' is plenty far enough for my needs and I don't want battery running out on me. I may need to do some testing to see what speeds gives me the most distance for one battery charge as I think it might be a more modest speed than 25 MPH or so.

Reactions: glider
Have any of you done props balancing on H ? You can squeeze more time out of battery on well balanced props I guess.

I spoke with Yuneec customer service technicians yesterday and asked about using 3rd party attenenas. If your drone crashes and you send it back for repair, Yuneec will not repair it under warranty. They will repair it but you will have to pay their costs. They told me the Warranty period is 6 months.

How would they know if you had a aftermarket antenna on it?

Also, I think anyone who alters any product should realize they are violating the warranty of that product. If you add a supercharger to your car and the engine blows, there is not a single automaker that will warranty that engine...

How would they know if you had a aftermarket antenna on it?

Also, I think anyone who alters any product should realize they are violating the warranty of that product. If you add a supercharger to your car and the engine blows, there is not a single automaker that will warranty that engine...

This is how they know. It's like having a "black box" on an commercial airliner.
How to access Telemetry Data on ST16

View attachment 686

Cool. Good to know this option is available. As far as normal use the shorter distance of the H doesn't bother me any longer. I do care about boosting the signal so that trees and other light obstacles are penetrated easier.

Anecdote: I flew my P3P 11,000' out in the middle of the desert so I know what a thrill that can be...no, I'm not comparing distances, just the feeling. Never flew that far again. I lost my machine due to a systems failure and it was replaced so I don't trust it out of sight anyway.

Just thought I would post this here as I have done on another thread as many operators seem to point their antennae at the UAV whilst flying.
Just a tip here, you will get far better transmission range and reception if you have the antennae (both the whip and clover leaf) set perpendicular to the airframe. So fold the Tx antennae either up or flat to the controller so it's not pointing straight toward the H as this is the weakest portion of it's field. Same for the clover leaf. They both transmit out the side far better than they do out the ends.
The below image shows the gain loss above and below the antennae.
3d-robotics-radiation-pattern.gif

Just thought I would post this here as I have done on another thread as many operators seem to point their antennae at the UAV whilst flying.
Just a tip here, you will get far better transmission range and reception if you have the antennae (both the whip and clover leaf) set perpendicular to the airframe. So fold the Tx antennae either up or flat to the controller so it's not pointing straight toward the H as this is the weakest portion of it's field. Same for the clover leaf. They both transmit out the side far better than they do out the ends.
The below image shows the gain loss above and below the antennae.
3d-robotics-radiation-pattern.gif
Good info. Understand that the "rubber duckey" on the ST16 and the two wire antennas projecting from the landing gear pivots (both for 2.4 GHz control) are linear polarized. What is the polarization of the 5.8 GHz clover leaf antenna on the ST16 and the CG 03+ Antenna? Thanks.
I am just an old former microwave engineer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss