Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Do NOT calibrate your compass !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just read seen a german expert warning us that we should NOT calibrate the Typhoon H after unboxing. This might cause problems because it's ready to fly outof the box. Unless it's behaving odd/drifting or when the Led (on backside) lights orange. This is the video:

I've asked mr. Thomass how he got this info, this is his answer:

Hello, after several discussions with Yuneec . I don't want to forbid anyone to calibrate its Typhoon H , however, it is just not necessary ! Due to a high error rate when calibrating it seems probably come to some crashes . I myself have repeatedly calibrated , if only the / because of the videos , my could always be carried out properly , so I seem more likely to have a problem with it . As I said, happy again . The copter is a Ready to Fly System unpack , and fly ! ( Statement of Yuneec ) calibration only when the status light turns orange 3x or he drifts ! greeting
I dont understand. You shoud callibrate every time you fly for a couple reasons. This is how you the drone knows where to land if it needs to return to home. Not to mention its also how it connects to the satalites,

I dont understand. You shoud callibrate every time you fly for a couple reasons. This is how you the drone knows where to land if it needs to return to home. Not to mention its also how it connects to the satalites,

I think you are confusing compass calibration ( the topic of this thread) versus GPS lock.

Unfortunately you won't find any literature in the newwst Yuneec Typhoon user manual stating that a compass calibration is required before first flight. Now DJI states this & all DJI Phantoms/Inspires will show compass error (non-flyable) right out of the box.

As you note, if it's not required, it's then a personal choice.
You are correct Captain, but it is not in the manual either, to not take off inside 26' in Smart Mode or Accidents may happen, but they do! So is it then a personal choice to do so and crash it? Captain I am not directing this negatively towards you in anyways.
But man alive, you give out information to help newbies and even pilots to help them correct issues and or prep their machines and it opens up a whole flyers religious argument on I do and I don't. Information and different opinions "should" be given, and questions asked !. But then do it, or don't do it, simple, then move on to more knowledge, we don't need to keep spinning it around and around and around! Till we are dizzy ! :confused:

The issue of "don't calibrate before first flight" vs "ensure you calibrate before first flight" is a never ending issue when it comes to the "H". Unfortunately if Yuneec doesn't come out and say one or the other in writing, in their user manual, then we're all just chasing our tails.

Reactions: QuadBart
You are correct Captain, but it is not in the manual either, to not take off inside 26' in Smart Mode or Accidents may happen, but they do! So is it then a personal choice to do so and crash it? Captain I am not directing this negatively towards you in anyways.
But man alive, you give out information to help newbies and even pilots to help them correct issues and or prep their machines and it opens up a whole flyers religious argument on I do and I don't. Information and different opinions "should" be given, and questions asked !. But then do it, or don't do it, simple, then move on to more knowledge, we don't need to keep spinning it around and around and around! Till we are dizzy ! :confused:
So true!

The issue of "don't calibrate before first flight" vs "ensure you calibrate before first flight" is a never ending issue when it comes to the "H". Unfortunately if Yuneec doesn't come out and say one or the other in writing, in their user manual, then we're all just chasing our tails.
Why wouldnt you callibrate before every flight ??? This is how the drone knows where to land if the return to home feature is used?

The H does not need a calibration to determine it's homepoint, It needs to be calibrated to know it's bearings, which will update homepoint upon every boot up ! And it is not necessary to do a compass calibration before every flight, unless you relocate to a different geographical location or to be safe 100 miles away, or when it alerts you !

Reactions: John S
This is a topic that could cause serious injury to persons or property so I think its a HUGE topic to make sure people are aware of why its necessary. Anyone who has flown GPS based drones in the past knows this. Its also who some poeple have had there drones just fly off to never never land which is dangerous.

Why wouldnt you callibrate before every flight ??? This is how the drone knows where to land if the return to home feature is used?
If you wish to calibrate before each flight, it's your choice. If you ask me if there is a need to calibrate before each flight I would then ask you to point out in the user manual where this is written.

Reactions: Basicbill
I dont care if its written in the manual. I am telling you why its necessary on any GPS based drone. It can lead to serious issues that could be harmful to persons or property and the last thing we need as a hobby is a serious accident. Not callabrating can lead to drones flying off to never never land, or not knowing its own point of reference when the return to home feature is needed or used.

Thank you gentlemen, the jury has passed it's verdict ! Stop and move on to better knowledge ! you are both found innocent!;)

Actually, it is: "IMPORTENT NOTE: STEP BACK APPROXIMATELY 26 FEET (8 METERS) BEHIND THE Typhoon H."
Does it tell you what will happen if you don't? (Possible crash) That's the point, Why don't you who do not do calibrations and those that do, all just shake hands and move on !:mad:

Does it tell you what will happen if you don't? (Possible crash) That's the point, Why don't you who do not do calibrations and those that do, all just shake hands and move on !:mad:
****, Hilary vs Trump ! No one wins ! (On our side) !:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxTODxxx