Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Do NOT calibrate your compass !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing, and one that many miss, start your compass calibration with the H facing north. It doesn't have to be a perfect north, but north it should be.
I have never heard of anything like this before. I guess that's unique to yuneec??? See what I did there.. Its a joke .. Oh well...

I have never heard of anything like this before. I guess that's unique to yuneec??? See what I did there.. Its a joke .. Oh well...
Ha Ha ! It is not in the manual, but some agree you get a better reading/thus calibration facing North. I do all my drones facing North but, who am I ? :rolleyes:

With DJI, you start out facing north, with APM, Pixhawk, PX4, Vector, you start out facing north. A compass uses a 360* reference circle. 0* is north. The H has 6 spokes on a wheel that need to have some alignment reference to maintain orientation. It does not use GPS for this purpose. Ha-Ha, learn something about aerial navigation and the tools used in the process.

Telling a compass that north is in a location significantly different from where it actually is can and will generate a lot of issues at some point. It would be very easy to learn the "toilet bowling" being caused by a misaligned compass. A compass always WANTS to point north. The only time it will not is when a stronger/conflicting magnetic field is present, or when an electronic version has been misaligned during calibration.

I use many different types of flight controllers and all of them are subjected to a compass calibration, which starts out facing north. None of my copters "toilet bowl". Bear in mind that toilet bowling has long been associated with a poor compass calibration or misaligned compass. Nobody has to cal the compass, To calibrate or not the system is always the a choice the owner makes, but they have no room to complain if they crash due to toilet bowling. There's also the potential of a fly away if experiencing a directional/positional conflict between the compass and GPS. Lots of people have experienced that with another brand.

Attachments

• H-Chroma.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 19
  • Unboxed.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: DroneClone
I don't think we will have a proper answer for this until Yuneec decides to make a stand. I tried to do a search on compass calibrations and there is so much stuff out there. Cell phone technology is driving the bar up on GPS, there is dynamic compass calibrations using GPS data and more.

The H is the first MR I did not calibrate out of the box, I read of guys having issues calibrating or after calibrating. I maidened my H during the doomsday GPS blockage when the military was testing on the West coast, in addition I did not do a compass calibration. My H flew perfect, I ran every smart mode from Journey to Follow, I even did an RTH.

So for now I will not do a compass calibration since I see no odd behavior like I did with my APM's; but that could change if Yuneec instructs(in the manual) otherwise.
I to did my maiden on the west coast during the testing,I'm in extreme N.Calif. I originally only did a compass callabration, I have only mainly flown nothing but Yuneec products, and find the H the easiest thus far. All this do it..don't do it.. Is just par for the course for something new. I Callabrate always have,always will,if you don't fine and happy flights.

So don't do a calibration ever, simple ! It's your choice to calibrate on a pier , knowing darn well that it is steel reinforced in some way, just like people who calibrate on their steel reinforced driveways . Do it right and or don't do it at all ! Most experienced pilots who started on platforms from day one of compass controls have done it with no issues ! Once done , unless you change location drastically you are good to go ! My H out of the box, hovered erratically, did a CC and been rock steady since! It's your choice!:)
I had a small washy problem during a landing a couple of days ago and did both the Accellerometer and compass callabration I usually do both together,anyway after I did it my H lands as strait as water down a pipe

I to did my maiden on the west coast during the testing,I'm in extreme N.Calif. I originally only did a compass callabration, I have only mainly flown nothing but Yuneec products, and find the H the easiest thus far. All this do it..don't do it.. Is just par for the course for something new. I Callabrate always have,always will,if you don't fine and happy flights.
Man, that was hard to read.

I calibrate my Q4k and my Phantom 3 Pro everything i launch from a new location whether its 5 miles away or days later. It takes about 30 seconds to calibrate the compass...why wouldn't you

Reactions: QuadBart
Well I had one yesterday and I did a calibration. I had a littler control so I Crashlaned it. Took out 3 Props. Damnedest thing I have ever seen. It started to do a Long bank turn with the drone on an angle of about 30 Dig..
Happened to me too...Yuneec UK had a look and it baffled then...they have me a new one today....oh and told me not to callibrate unless I had a problem!

I calibrate my Q4k and my Phantom 3 Pro everything i launch from a new location whether its 5 miles away or days later. It takes about 30 seconds to calibrate the compass...why wouldn't you[/QUOTE
Happened to me too...Yuneec UK had a look and it baffled then...they have me a new one today....oh and told me not to callibrate unless I had a problem!
Because Yuneec UK calibrated it!, If it was calibrated in China, then they would have told you to calibrate it! You have to be careful of what they tell you and what needs to be calibrated, dependant on how far you fly from your last calibration! And how can they or you be certain that your calibration was the cause of the issue, especially if it was calibrated unsuccessfully! Just my thoughts!

It seems to me that the compass is a solid state device, so unless you've left it in the presence of a strong magnetic field, there is no real reason why it should become 'uncalibrated' very quickly. If you recalibrate it constantly you're just going to increase the chances that you fly with a 'dud' calibration.

On general principles, I'd keep the Typhoon away from strong magnets - that includes the magnetic catches on some notebooks and tablets, and speakers. For instance, if you drive to your flight site, I wouldn't put the Typhoon next to the sub woofer in your car.

Because Yuneec UK calibrated it!, If it was calibrated in China, then they would have told you to calibrate it! You have to be careful of what they tell you and what needs to be calibrated, dependant on how far you fly from your last calibration! And how can they or you be certain that your calibration was the cause of the issue, especially if it was calibrated unsuccessfully! Just my thoughts!
That makes sence, thanks!

Just to add, I don't think my calibration, which I originally did on my first h was up for question...the machine just "acted strange" ?? I took the new one out yesterday evening, no calibration and all is well....if I go anywhere further than a few miles I will!

It seems to me that the compass is a solid state device, so unless you've left it in the presence of a strong magnetic field, there is no real reason why it should become 'uncalibrated' very quickly. If you recalibrate it constantly you're just going to increase the chances that you fly with a 'dud' calibration.

On general principles, I'd keep the Typhoon away from strong magnets - that includes the magnetic catches on some notebooks and tablets, and speakers. For instance, if you drive to your flight site, I wouldn't put the Typhoon next to the sub woofer in your car.
The earth "IS" a magnetic source ! And the earths magnetic strength changes every place you move, from metals in the ground, too magnetic pole shifts from one area to another, so that is not really correct! The H will tell you if you did a "dud" calibration by the led acknowledgement . But it's your choice to do one out of the box, and then if you move from one location to another outside 100+ miles, or not too!;)

OK let me put it to rest the New FAA Regulation that came out 6-21-16 Requires you "have" a Calibrated Compass as part of your pre-flight. If you read the Reg.'s you are required to go by the manufactures manual. NOT BY WHAT YOU READ ON THE INTERNET. If they can prove that you didn't do a complete pre-flight. They (FAA) will make you liable in more ways than one.

Do you guys notice that the GUI shows the typhoon rotating very slowly when its perfectly still on a level surface.

On mine I suspect this rotation of the yaw value when it is still is what causes it to start rotating in the air on its own seconds into the flight. It starts as a stationary rotation and ends up is a full blown toilet bowl orbit that requires I disable gps to gain control again.

I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night but I do own a Q-500 and an H. I have flown them all over Florida and parts of the east coast and never ever calibrated the compass on either of them and never experienced anything except good flying.

Do you guys notice that the GUI shows the typhoon rotating very slowly when its perfectly still on a level surface.

On mine I suspect this rotation of the yaw value when it is still is what causes it to start rotating in the air on its own seconds into the flight. It starts as a stationary rotation and ends up is a full blown toilet bowl orbit that requires I disable gps to gain control again.
I've noticed the same thing too. Yaw value in GUI increases 0.1 every 5-7 secs even though H is stationary on desk. Don't have any toilet bowl though and H hovers stable.

Reactions: Ana Rosa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech