Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Don't Panic!!

Reaction score
I've just come back from one of the more interesting flights I have ever had. I was flying my Typhoon H over some new ground - searching out for some potential new hunting spots. Local environmental conditions included a partially overcast sky and winds gusting to 20kn (30kph/22mph). First flight went without a hitch. Second flight was a little interesting. All flying was in 'Angle mode'.
About 4mins into the flight, my video screen started to 'glitch' and I also noticed that my gimbal was not keeping the horizon level. The H was flying away from me at this stage and I had a lot of trees between myself and the H. I increased elevation and started to bank back towards 'home'. That's when it got a little crazy. The screen on the ST16 went blank and then I got a message stating something like "RC connected, waiting for WiFi" - don't quote me on this message as I had far more important things on my mind at that time.
My first instincts were "don't panic". I waited a little, hoping that I would get a link back to the H, but this wasn't happening. After about another anxious minute, I decided to jump in my 4wd and head in the last known direction of the H. At this stage, I had no visual of the H and the message on my ST16 screen had not changed. All telemetry (battery, etc) for the H was blank.
After driving for less than 80 metres, the screen came alive and I had a link again. I quickly brought the H back to me and landed safely.
Previewing the video, once back home, I could see the moment that I lost connection and the H just held its position in the sky - this lasted just under 4 minutes. That's the amount of time that I had to wait for the connection to come back.
I've learnt a few lessons from this and figured it may help to pass these on, just in case other users are in a similar position.
Firstly, when things seem to go bad - don't panic. Keep your head clear and try to focus on the situation.
Secondly, I stupidly flew out of VLOS and had a lot of big trees blocking my line of sight, therefore my rc and video link to the H were compromised.
It may be worthy to note that, at no time, did I turn off my ST16 and I did not hit the RTH switch as I figured this would be pointless as I had no connection.
It was also encouraging to know that if this does happen, then the H will just hold it's last known position - that's a pretty cool feature. It's also encouraging to know that it will do this in some pretty gusty wind.
Reviewing my telemetry files (with UAV Toolbox) I could see the loss of rc displayed on the graphic. The errors were right at the end of the flight, once the H was well within my control and I am pretty sure the compass cal warnings were from me holding onto the top of the shell, while I was walking back to my 4wd.

I wasn't planning on drinking today, but after that little incident, I think I better have a few quiet beers and count my blessings as I thought I had lost my H.

Oh, and yes, I think I've found a new hunting spot too.

Attachments

• Lost.jpg
    Lost.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
Indeed you had an interesting flight.
I'm going to suggest that even though you lost video and telemetry, you still had a control signal. If you loose control signal the H would have switched to Home mode on it's own. While I have no perfect knowledge of the signal strengths of the three systems, I know the video signal is the weakest and the first to drop out. I believe the telemetry will drop next, but the control signal remains connected much longer. Of course, it does you no good if you lose telemetry unless the green arrow is still displayed. If you had hit RTH it should have picked up the signal and returned.

I'm going to suggest that even though you lost video and telemetry, you still had a control signal. If you loose control signal the H would have switched to Home mode on it's own.

Good point, however with no visual on the H and no green arrow, I was 'blind'. It was my mistake - simple. I broke one of the most important rules and that is to always maintain VLOS - Visual Line Of Sight.

But what is about panic when you know your battery has only some minutes more flight time or your H is hovering over water and you are far away :eek:

"RC connected, waiting for WiFi" is only the result, the H is trying to connect through 5,8Ghz (camera) to your Copter.
Trees are able to disturb your connection.

Reactions: Chris McMillan
But what is about panic when you know your battery has only some minutes more flight time or your H is hovering over water and you are far away :eek:

"RC connected, waiting for WiFi" is only the result, the H is trying to connect through 5,8Ghz (camera) to your Copter.
Trees are able to disturb your connection.
You should switch to Home immediately.

You should switch to Home immediately.

Sorry, but before you switch Home, you should use your brain ...

What is your Home Mode Altitude
How high is your H
How high are the trees or any other parts in the home direction ...

Using Home is panic ;)

Reactions: chimpax
Good point, however with no visual on the H and no green arrow, I was 'blind'. It was my mistake - simple. I broke one of the most important rules and that is to always maintain VLOS - Visual Line Of Sight.
I recall a long time ago someone posted a comment that if you hit the "Return" key below the screen you should still be able to see the green arrow. I have never been in this situation, but it would be a good experiment. I think if I could cover the correct antennas with tin foil to create lose of telemetry and video, this might work.

Sorry, but before you switch Home, you should use your brain ...

What is your Home Mode Altitude
How high is your H
How high are the trees or any other parts in the home direction ...

Using Home is panic ;)
Actually, you should have already set the RTH altitude above any obstacles in the flight path. If you did not then you need to gain altitude before hitting Home.

And using Home is not a panic mode. It is a useful flight function that works well for many situations. For example when some kid threw a Frisbee which hit my glasses and knocked them off. Good thing I know where that switch is. Panic is when you forget to use it.

Reactions: Jester
Actually, you should have already set the RTH altitude above any obstacles in the flight path.

Yep. That's part of my pre-flight. Should be the same for anyone.

I just didn't think this would work as I thought all connection with the H had been lost. Don't really want to replicate this flight again to test the theory.

Yep. That's part of my pre-flight. Should be the same for anyone.

I just didn't think this would work as I thought all connection with the H had been lost. Don't really want to replicate this flight again to test the theory.
Yup, I agree, setting RTH altitude should be set prior to launch.
But since the H didn't auto return suggests it was still getting the signal from the ST16 so the Home switch would work.

Now that is weird. Yuneec told me that if it loses rc connection it is supposed to RTH. But you say it just hovered. I guess in your situation not sure what would've been better. If you were at an altitude high enough to miss trees then you would've been good for RTH.
d9ae500f5084cf3969fb32ed8525644d.jpg

Now that is weird. Yuneec told me that if it loses rc connection it is supposed to RTH. But you say it just hovered. I guess in your situation not sure what would've been better. If you were at an altitude high enough to miss trees then you would've been good for RTH.
d9ae500f5084cf3969fb32ed8525644d.jpg

Ant received last message "RC connected, waiting for WiFi" at the point he lost video. After that telemetry went down. RC was supposedly still on, because it stayed at a certain position and hovered.

Cheers!

I am just glad you got her back with no damage and no injuries.
I had my ST-16 die mid flight (using the 2nd firmware release) the H did an auto RTH, but only lowered to about 10 feet above my head and stayed in a hover. I am so glad for the USB ports in my van, I was able to get the ST-16 powered back up and land. Found out later bad battery in my ST-16. I normally keep my RTH height set for 100 feet just to insure I clear the trees around here.

If you have RealSense and didn't set your RTH height, in this situation where video and telemetry are lost but control is still there (evidenced by the H just hovering), wouldn't it make sense to flip on obstacle avoidance before hitting RTH?

I had a similar issue a while back, never found out why it done it but mine is in repair for a camera issue after update from a while back still, waiting to get it back

i wanted to see how the camera quality was at night in my area. made a quick flight around the neighborhood, got over my house around 250ft up i was lining up to land when the screen just froze and the drone would not respond to anything. you could hear the buttons beep on the controller and all telemetry was there but it just froze up...

had no idea what to do and the drone is just sitting in one spot.

I waited it out as nothing would work, after a while of sitting there, the lights started flashing, few minutes later it slowly started coming down, missing the edge of my roof by about a foot. i wasnt sure if it was going to sit there till battery went dead and fell out the sky or what...it missed my roof but was heading for a bush. I grabbed it and turned it off

not sure why i done it and I got lucky with mine but if it was over water or someones house, id be screwed

I had a similar issue a while back, never found out why it done it but mine is in repair for a camera issue after update from a while back still, waiting to get it back

i wanted to see how the camera quality was at night in my area. made a quick flight around the neighborhood, got over my house around 250ft up i was lining up to land when the screen just froze and the drone would not respond to anything. you could hear the buttons beep on the controller and all telemetry was there but it just froze up...

had no idea what to do and the drone is just sitting in one spot.

I waited it out as nothing would work, after a while of sitting there, the lights started flashing, few minutes later it slowly started coming down, missing the edge of my roof by about a foot. i wasnt sure if it was going to sit there till battery went dead and fell out the sky or what...it missed my roof but was heading for a bush. I grabbed it and turned it off

not sure why i done it and I got lucky with mine but if it was over water or someones house, id be screwed
Did you try Home?
It is common to loose video when directly overhead. The H was waiting for the next command. After the battery gets low the motor led's begin flashing and it goes into auto land sequence. You can still control direction with the right stick when it is in auto land.

Did you try Home?
It is common to loose video when directly overhead. The H was waiting for the next command. After the battery gets low the motor led's begin flashing and it goes into auto land sequence. You can still control direction with the right stick when it is in auto land.

i tried every single switch on the controller, nothing worked, the drone was not directly over me either, it was about 20ft away when everything just froze...

i was lucky that time and was able to save it without damage or complete lose. I was told to create a new model and rebind it...i did and it worked fine but when I updated to the new firmware, my camera wont tilt or pan so its at yuneecs outsourced repair right now. havent had much flight time after it froze...waiting to get it back hopefully this week

but no answers as to why it done that to begin with

Actually, you should have already set the RTH altitude above any obstacles in the flight path. If you did not then you need to gain altitude before hitting Home.
Upon switching to RTH: If I am flying at 350 and my RTH is set to 150 in the ST16, will the H come back towards me in a angle towards 150, or will it lower to 150 first, then come back to me while holding 150.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariarussii11