Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone Crashes into Seattle Space Needle

Not too good an idea flying by the Space Needle. It is over 600 feet high to start with and whoever was flying certainly violated the FAA 400' limit for sure! I live only about 14 miles from the 'Needle' and it would be neat to be able to make flight around the same area, but I sure can't afford any fine that would be imposed!

mojoe35 unless it is in class e,d,c or b if you are in range of either 400 or 40 feet of a object by the faa you are allowed to go to 400 feet above the highest part of said structure unless you enter class e,d,c or b air space or in a tfr temporary flight restriction question here is he a 107 pic or hobbiest

Reactions: hugechimp
mojoe35 unless it is in class e,d,c or b if you are in range of either 400 or 40 feet of a object by the faa you are allowed to go to 400 feet above the highest part of said structure unless you enter class e,d,c or b air space or in a tfr temporary flight restriction question here is he a 107 pic or hobbiest

According to last night's news, the authorities are looking for a teenager that supposedly was flying the drone. They haven't named him yet, but he'll be in lots of trouble when they do catch up with him. Obviously, whoever has the drone now, knows how to find the Micro SD card since the video was played on the news and also on the internet. The video was great up until it flew into the Space Needle!

If I am correct if he's amateur he can only fly up to 400' , if he has a 107 if the area is safe to fly in he could go 400' above the space needle

Security Alert on this. Big Time. Towers are no Go Areas. Compromising Homeland Security. Having a trained eye, and observing the personell movements on platform. The signals could have been intercepted leading to capture. Do the Crime Do the Time.

I have flown into Boeing field in a Cessna 172 and the approach path isn't all that far offshore of the space needle. It's a beautiful, scenic ride in and down - it seems like you "slide" on past downtown Seattle with power reduced and coasting on down toward the airport.

It's not a stretch at all to picture a drone getting farther west and into the flight path of incoming aircraft, esp. with the speed and range of something like a Phantom. Could very easily ruin a pilot's day.

It's stupid and irresponsible that kind of behavior.

Reactions: Michael Brown

This only applies if you have permission to fly from said structure...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430